Cost of importing a car?

KTG1000

Guest the terry's
Hi Helen,

You will find that a lot of people on here will tend to be on the negative side of things when you talk about importing your car, i just took delivery of our car last Fri, imported from Scotland, and it is not as scary or difficult as some people will have you believe, my advice to you is to check various car web sites here to see what the same car with same spec would cost, your car will not be the same value as these though as being an import it will be valued less, you also have to factor in the associated costs of which there are many i.e shipping, stamp duty , customs etc etc, a ball park figure for this is app £3500/4000. If you really have your heart set on bringing your car i would be happy to provide you with a detailed breakdown of all procedures/costs, the people i used for shipping, customs agents, and compliance garage, they did a great job for me, and 10 weeks after i dropped the car off at Southhampton i was driving it around sunnie Brisbane.

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul for your kind offer of help, if you could either pm me or put details on here to help others as well I'm sure I speak for all that would be brill!.

Helenx

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Andy and Tracy
Hi Al could you help me with my baby' date=' tried working it out failed miserably.

Make Toyota

Model Avensis Verso

Model Type T- Spirit D4D

Body Type 5 door

Engine size 2.0 ltr

Transmission Manual

Year of Manufacture Sept. 2004

Mileage 30k

Condition Excellent

What [i']you[/i] believe the car is worth in the UK ? £16,000

The aussie equivalent is the GLX/Ultima which I know is about 36-40,000 A$

We oringinally bought the car for £19,633 and have the paperwork to prove it. Do they work out how much it's worth there or here when doing the tax thing??? So confused:wacko:

Thanks in advance,

Helenx

Hi Helen

We have just sold this week our Toyota Corolla Verso 7 seater/ 2 Litre diesel / air con / mid range spec etc. OV54 Reg (Sept 04)

31, 100 miles. Excellent condition

For......... £6,300 at a Toyota Garage.

We had to drive 50 miles for the nearest garage that would buy it. In the credit crunch, no-one wanted to know locally.It cost us about £15k just over 2 years ago.

Does this help?. It is very similar. I know the Avensis is one grade up, but check first if it is worth it. We always like to think our cars are worth more than they actually are!! Especially me!

Andy has seen 2008 cars this week in the garage that have halved their value recently.

Don't know if this helps you in your decision or not!

Tracy

Make Toyota

Model Avensis Verso

Model Type T- Spirit D4D

Body Type 5 door

Engine size 2.0 ltr

Transmission Manual

Year of Manufacture Sept. 2004

Mileage 30k

Condition Excellent

What you believe the car is worth in the UK ? £16' date='000

The aussie equivalent is the GLX/Ultima which I know is about 36-40,000 A$[/quote']

Estimated costs attached below (Car-Shipping-Victoria-Template-Avensis.pdf)

This is based on UK Value of £16,000 and an Australian average for a 2004 Ultima of the same type at around AUD$28k. Not sure where you got $40k from but $28k is the high end of the average. This shows a loss on the door-to-door (on the road) costs of around £9,500. At a UK value of £7,000 you would probably still end up with a loss but it would only be £300.

Toyota are made here in Australia and are very common. Think Ford in the UK.

my advice to you is to check various car web sites here to see what the same car with same spec would cost, your car will not be the same value as these though as being an import it will be valued less, you also have to factor in the associated costs of which there are many i.e shipping, stamp duty , customs etc etc, a ball park figure for this is app £3500/4000.
That's kind of a sweeping statement considering the Duty and GST are based the customs value of the vehicle. I have provided estimates to people who would incur costs upwards of $30,000 just to get the car off the dock in Australia. It all depends on the marque you are importing, it's age and value here.

wELL DO YOU RESEARCH AND SEE ABOUT IMPORT AND CONVERTING IT TO OZ SPEC AND HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF TROUBLE NO WARRANTY SO MEGABUCKS
I did'nt quite understand what you were trying to say' date=' perhaps you could expand on what you meant to say.[/quote']

They are referring to the additional costs associated with ensuring your car meets the (sometimes bizarre) Australia Engineering Standards. As an example I had to get a metal buckle for a child seat restraint welded into my car, which included leather work to the seats and a hell of a lot of hassle. It can be costly and in some cases the really serious ones could cost thousands.

Some people have said to me in the past that you "don't need to have these tests done in <insert state name here>". While it is true that some states don't require you to have the engineering compliance tests before they will register the car, like in Victoria (and NSW I believe), it is a legal requirement that all cars driven on the road in Australia meet these requirements and if your car does not then your insurance may well be invalid and you could face prosecution in the event of an accident

Thanks Paul for your kind offer of help' date=' if you could either pm me or put details on here to help others as well I'm sure I speak for all that would be brill![/quote']

You might want to have a look at the article I wrote on this process. It's quite complete.

Australia: Importing Your Car

For reference I don't work for any importing company, nor do I profit in any way shape or form by offering this assistance. I do it merely because there was no-one around and no resource to answer the questions I had when I did it. Most advice was from self-professed "experts" who were wildly off on their estimates and it turns out didn't understand the math at all (not on here I might add).

Hope this helps,

Al

Guest the terry's

Thanks Al, I didn't realise there was so much to take into account. When I looked into taking it before, my car was indeed valued at £16k and on the Toyota site a new one would have been about the 30-40A$ new. Having looked at how much my car would sell for here, what with the crunch and all, I have to admit that I would probably wouldn't get £16k but more like about £8k, quite shocking really. So in your humble opinion, do you think it would be worth taking or not and from your workings out, would the revised selling price of £8k make much of a difference?

Thanks again Al, your a star!

Helenx

hi we are in the process of geting 175 visa and going to brisbane we have a vw split lhd 64 we love and want to take we have loooked into it and its about 2000 pound to ship no import duty 10per cent gst of value plus insurance we put ours up for sale as it seemed a lot but dont want sell trying find out if worth all cost of shiping if you find out anything let us know thanks

hi just read your reply and we are moveing to brisbane hopefully in may we want to import a z11oo eddie lawson rep bike 24 years old and an old vw split screen camper lhd 1964 we have tried to look into cost ect but dont understand full procedure and cost any help you could send us would be appreciated thanks

• 2 weeks later...

hi we have a vw split screen camper 1964 lhd we have just had loads work done on interior and had it lowered and tinted windows we dont want to sell and have looked into shipping we have been quoted £2200 for shipping we dont know about extras tax etc it is worth £14000 it is 1500 engine the mileage is 42000km very good condition no rust at all manual transmission also 1984 kawasaki z1100 r eddie lawson rep which we are bringing we have been quoted 750 to ship this is in mint condition and is worth £2000 12000miles on clock can you tell us what extra cash we will need we would really appriciate this thankyou:notworthy:

I have been reading through these couple of threads on Importing your Car and wondered if you had read the article I wrote last year on Importing your Car to Australia. I had major trouble finding reliable and accurate information on the process and how much it would cost, so once I have completed the process I documented it all and wrote down all the costs for a complete On the road to on the road figure. I have even included an Excel chart which you can use to calculate your own.

I should state that these figures are based on the cost last year and are specific to importing to Victoria, however in the hundreds of conversations I have had about this and the countless rough estimates I have helped people knock up it appears that little varies from state to state regarding procedure and cost. The figures are not formal and they are provided only in the hope that they can help people figure this minefield out.

In general the answer is that it's not financially worth bringing your car over. It's a very costly/time consuming process and I can assure you the last thing you want to experience when you move out is more of Australia's famous "red tape". Of all the people I have spoken too only three could have made money (on paper) and even then their cars where classics and they could have made very little. The best you can hope for is the break even and in which case it's simply not worth the hassle.

if you do choose to use the Excel, then please note that as PI (Personal Import - known as a "Yellow Plater" or "Piss Plater" in the trade) your car will be worth less than other used cars of the same age, marque, etc. Also you will find it very hard (read impossible) to trade it in. You would have to sell privately and you should expect to get the lower end of the range for the same car on the private sale market.

Alternatively, if you supply the following information I will have a quick look for you:

• Make
  • Model
  • Model Type
  • Body Type
  • Engine size
  • Transmission
  • Year of Manufacture
  • Mileage
  • Condition
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?

So an example would be:

• Make: Toyota
  • Model: Land Cruiser
  • Model Type: LC4
  • Body Type: 4 Door
  • Engine size: 2982cc
  • Transmission: Manual 4x4/4x2
  • Year of Manufacture: 2004
  • Mileage: 15,000m
  • Condition: Excellent
  • What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000. Usually £21,000 but the market is not good now

Hope this helps

Al

Guest VFRHOCKS

Hello,

I have also been quoted £750 to take my bike over, thats them collesting it, drating it and getting it over there.

Dont know what the extra charges come to but 6 months ago when I did work them out, I think it came to no more than £500. We are hoping to take a container so I am either going to just strip my bike down and take it over as parts as I would like to strip it and give it some well earned TLC before putting her back together and I can put it back together in my own time or box it up and take it and get it straight back onto the road. Not sure yet.

Hello,

I have also been quoted £750 to take my bike over, thats them collesting it, drating it and getting it over there.

Dont know what the extra charges come to but 6 months ago when I did work them out, I think it came to no more than £500. We are hoping to take a container so I am either going to just strip my bike down and take it over as parts as I would like to strip it and give it some well earned TLC before putting her back together and I can put it back together in my own time or box it up and take it and get it straight back onto the road. Not sure yet.

Beware of Mr customs man, they nosey thro anything and if you get a wise arse you might lose something if you get my drift, what bike yoiu got mate

Mally

Guest Sean DaCat

Can you help re importing from Canada?

* Make: BMW 328i convertible

* Body Type: 2 Door

* Transmission: Automatic

* Year of Manufacture: 2007

* Mileage: 17,000km

* Condition: Excellent

* What you believe the car is worth ? $40,000 Canadian

Guest beermeister
Hello,

We are hoping to take a container so I am either going to just strip my bike down and take it over as parts

I can't remember exactly which website I read it on, but I recall reading on one of the Australian vehicle import documents or something that importing motor vehicle parts was also subject to import duty (plus GST) the same as a complete item.

I shipped my bike as an assembled item in the container with all my household goods and it didn't cost anything extra beyond the full container price (have to pay import duty + GST in Oz of course). The packers secured it in the front of the container and built a timber frame around it and then just packed the household goods in.

• 1 month later...
Guest Furball

If you're still doing this, could you possibly take a look at ours?

Much obliged if you could

• Make: Volvo
  • Model: C70
  • Model Type: Convertible
  • Body Type: 2 door
  • Engine size: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Auto
  • Year of Manufacture: 2001
  • Mileage: 50K
  • Condition: good
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?: £4K ?

Many thanks...

Lissa x

• Make: Volvo

• Model: C70

• Model Type: Convertible

• Body Type: 2 door

• Engine size: 2.0L

• Year of Manufacture: 2001

• Mileage: 50K

• Condition: good

• What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?: £4K ?

All the information people could need to work this out is in the Article and more importantly it's in the Excel where all you have to do is add your opinion of the UK value and the average used price in the Australian from redbook and drive.com.au

However, as your Avatar is a LOLCat I have attached a rough estimate (PDF below) based on your data

Al

• 4 weeks later...
Guest thepratts
Hi Guys,

I have been reading through these couple of threads on Importing your Car and wondered if you had read the article I wrote last year on Importing your Car to Australia. I had major trouble finding reliable and accurate information on the process and how much it would cost, so once I have completed the process I documented it all and wrote down all the costs for a complete On the road to on the road figure. I have even included an Excel chart which you can use to calculate your own.

I should state that these figures are based on the cost last year and are specific to importing to Victoria, however in the hundreds of conversations I have had about this and the countless rough estimates I have helped people knock up it appears that little varies from state to state regarding procedure and cost. The figures are not formal and they are provided only in the hope that they can help people figure this minefield out.

In general the answer is that it's not financially worth bringing your car over. It's a very costly/time consuming process and I can assure you the last thing you want to experience when you move out is more of Australia's famous "red tape". Of all the people I have spoken too only three could have made money (on paper) and even then their cars where classics and they could have made very little. The best you can hope for is the break even and in which case it's simply not worth the hassle.

if you do choose to use the Excel, then please note that as PI (Personal Import - known as a "Yellow Plater" or "Piss Plater" in the trade) your car will be worth less than other used cars of the same age, marque, etc. Also you will find it very hard (read impossible) to trade it in. You would have to sell privately and you should expect to get the lower end of the range for the same car on the private sale market.

Alternatively, if you supply the following information I will have a quick look for you:

• Make

• Model

• Model Type

• Body Type

• Engine size

• Transmission

• Year of Manufacture

• Mileage

• Condition

• What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?

So an example would be:

• Make: Toyota

• Model: Land Cruiser

• Model Type: LC4

• Body Type: 4 Door

• Engine size: 2982cc

• Transmission: Manual 4x4/4x2

• Year of Manufacture: 2004

• Mileage: 15,000m

• Condition: Excellent

• What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000. Usually £21,000 but the market is not good now

Hope this helps

Al

Hi there.we have been considering taking our car too so would really appreciate it if you could give us a rough quote too,

make: peugeot 307 cc(cabriolet coupe)

Engine : 2000cc

trans: manual

year: 2005 Oct

Miles : 22000

Condition: excellent.hardly used!

value : £8000

Thanks a lot.

i have a race motorbike witch i wont be regestering will i have to pay import duty on this,i was goingt o ship my kangoo van over with my bike in it.a mate of mine said u dont have to pay import duty coz it is a personal item

Sorry, don't know anything about importing bikes, but as far as I am aware the motorbike will be taxed in the same way as a car.

I'd really check on this before you attempt to bring it over in the manner suggested, it's not a great a idea to get such advice from a mate. Best check with Customs and Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government

Customs - Customs home page

DOITRD - The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Homepage

Al

make: peugeot 307 cc(cabriolet coupe)

Engine : 2000cc

trans: manual

year: 2005 Oct

Miles : 22000

Condition: excellent.hardly used!

value : £8000

based on your opinion of £8,000 sale value in the UK and the best rough estimate I can get here (~A$25,000). The attached is a rough guide on the costs. It comes out at a loss of ~£1,000

See Attached: Car-Shipping-Victoria-P307cc.pdf

You should be aware that the used car market here is struggling and many cars are losing value rapidly.

I would suggest selling in the UK for $8K and taking advantage of the cheaper prices over here (depending on when you move obviously).

Al

Guest VFRHOCKS

Dont know if any use but when I enquired with our shipping company but advised that you should send a request of to Transport department as they do ship them back at your expense if things aren't correct. Was going to take mine over in bits as I didn';t think I had time to get the paper work done in time.

They told me that a lot of vehicles do get sent back if not all in order.

Only takes 3 wks to come back, so I been told.

Guest Furball
You should be aware that the used car market here is struggling and many cars are losing value rapidly.

:idea: Is it? How much at the moment? We've been looking at the prices of 2nd hand cars on the Sunshine Coast and were appalled to see that we'd have to pay $8+K for things we wouldn't give £500 for here...!

Many thanks,

Lissa xx

:idea: Is it? How much at the moment? We've been looking at the prices of 2nd hand cars on the Sunshine Coast and were appalled to see that we'd have to pay $8+K for things we wouldn't give £500 for here...!

Some cars are more expensive and some are less. If you're looking at any sort of non-Japanese or Australian (Ford/Holden) then it will no doubt be more expensive. The leading marques in Australia are Holden, Toyota, Ford, etc

The second hand market is dropping, but I can't tell you a percentage only that people are talking about it getting real bad within the next 6 months.

Possibly good news if you sell in the UK and then buy used over here.

Guest Furball
Possibly good news if you sell in the UK and then buy used over here.

Mmm. Only if it drops faster than it is here... and I don't think thats possible at the moment!!

Lissa x

• 11 months later...
Guest ru88ish
I'll have to look into this in the morning. Done three of these for other people already tonight and I need to get some grub.

You should be aware though that it's age may be a factor. The amount of work you would have to have done to it to have it comply with current Australian Safety Standards would be simply ridiculous.

Does it have Kph on the instruments as well as Mph ?

Al

hi big ape.

i have had a look at your importing your car to australia link and there a couple of things i do not understand in regards to pricing..

i understand that it is approx $4-5k for the costs to import but what i dont understand is this - the value or car was 12k in england and its value is $35k in australia which is a profit of 23k. minus the 4.5k for costs - does this not mean you have a profit margin of 18.5k if you decided to sell the car ? this is where i am getting confused. pls can you explain further to me... i can see this is the same figure as the customs value but i dont understand what this means...

basically we were looking at bringing an x5 into the country:

BMW X5 3.0d M Sport, 2009 (09 reg), value £40k

9,000 miles Automatic 3.0L Diesel which i believe if we wanted to purchase here would cost $135k so surely it would be beneficial to import our car in this case as it would cost so much more to buy in oz and if we do decide to sell in say three years time we might even make a profit ?

thanks, look forward to your knowledge and advice.

Susie

UK Sale Price £12,000

Australian Street Value $35,000 £14,900 June 2007

"As Landed" Customs Value $23,000 £9,280 Feb 2007 ~65% of Street Value

basically we were looking at bringing an x5 into the country:

BMW X5 3.0d M Sport, 2009 (09 reg), value £40k

9,000 miles Automatic 3.0L Diesel which i believe if we wanted to purchase here would cost $135k so surely it would be beneficial to import our car in this case as it would cost so much more to buy in oz and if we do decide to sell in say three years time we might even make a profit ?

From examining the used market websites here I think $120k is a more realistic used mark for this vehicle right now, mainly as it would be a personal import.

Attached is a rough calculation, but with the current insane exchange rate and the recent 50% reduction in Import Duty it's looks like not a bad prospect. You should note though that these are not uncommon cars here. Were I live, every other house has an X5 in the drive. It's the #1 Soccer Mom mobile.

Assuming a viable UK resale price of £40k and a RORO of £700, the estimated total cost of shipping the vehicle is coming out at £18,400 ($33k) including duty, GST and LCT (Customs is $22,500 in total). Which means that at this estimate you would make about £11k on paper. I stress the on paper as this would only be achievable if you sold it today. In 6 months time the situation might/will be radically different.

Hope this gives you some idea.

Hi bigAPE, can I be a total pain and ask you to work out shipping over my BMW X5 I have had a look at the figures and am not sure one the total cost.....the agent said it would be around £4000 including everything to ship our car over but these figures are way more. Ours in 2004 bmw x5 diesel sport it's worth around £14,000 in the uk it has 96,000 miles on the clock its manual.

Thank you very much as I really want to take it as it was a birthday present from my husband....also it has a private plate on it....would I need to re reg it here in the UK before I leave....thanks again for your help with this......Louise

Guest generalpa

Hope you dont mind but could you work out my costs for importing my car. Heading for the Gold Coast.

• Make: Mercedes
  • Model: SLK280
  • Model Type: Sports
  • Body Type: Two seater
  • Engine size 3L
  • Year of Manufacture: 2005 (55)
  • Mileage: 19,500
  • Condition: Good
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ? £20000.

Regards

generalpa

:cool:

Archived