You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest MelW

Help, will we find work and decent money !!!!

Guest MelW

We are currently in the process of applying for visa to Brisbane, husband has passed first stage on skills assesment. We are struggling to find any info on jobs out there and what kind of money we can expect. We have two kids, one of each flavour, 4 & 16 month, oh my god can't believe we are doing this, any help appreciated. My husbands trade us a Plant Fitter and has full city guilds and has worked in same trade for over 19 years, as a job here I am a payroll supervisor.

Guest gail.crease

This website seems to be the main one for Australia.

http://www.seek.com.au/

I think you have to resign yourself to the fact that you're going to earn a lot less over there. I'm an accountant and the OH is in IT and we've just recovered from the shock of how much we can earn compared to the UK. It's not going to put us off though as we want the lifestyle more than money now.

I've been watching the BBC series all week and the same issue comes up regarding the wages. No-one is going to get rich moving to Australia no matter what your job is.

Good luck

Hi my hubby is a network engineer for cable TV, he was on good money in UK - been offerred a starting salary of $48,000 pa here in WA which we're told is pretty much the norm.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Hiya other than the seek website thats already been mentioned ,i dont think you will get much more info whilst in the uk .We found it easier to approach companys in person on arrival and 'sell yourself'.It worked for hubby anyway ,i wouldnt imagine a plant fitter will struggle finding a job in Brisbane ,lots of the jobs i have seen are for plant fitters are large plant ,cat & us makes,the avearge wage seems to start around $20/$25 pr hour unless you go well inland and work near the mines were you get a lot more money.Ye the wages are less than the uk but the lifestyle is twice as good Hope this helps

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest fatpom

Yep, $20-$25/hr is the going rate for Brisbane. Much as in the the UK, fitters make up on overtime (particularly weekends). At the moment your'e looking at OT rates of time & a half for Mon - Sat. Double time Sun & public holidays. I say at the moment because federal employment laws have recently changed specifically targeting OT, Holiday & shift rates (not to mention easier legal termination options). Currently employers are not putting the squeeze on skilled & management jobs (but I believe they will eventually?).

I hire contract fitters on a regular basis. Many of these guys earn $80-$90K per year which is pretty good money by most peoples standards but they do put the hours in.

Working at the mines can gross $150K & the armed forces are bleeding tradesmen at the moment chasing this work & they're getting pretty cranky about it.

Guest MelW

Thanks for all your advise, I feel slightly more reassured now, although the money would be good, we are defo after the better life style and better future for the children. Brisbane here we come (hopefully).

Guest oz migration

HI Melw

If you need any help - just follow the path to our website and click on 'Others - professions in demand'.

Kind regards

Chris

Guest Hayley370

Hi just to let you know my hubby registered with an agency when we got here, as a toolmaker/machinist and was told he would earn in the region of $28 per hour for first 8 hours of working day, every hour after that is time and a half and after that is double time for an hour. Now is earning slightly more than this. Our advise would be to remember that your expertise are in high demand, hence make sure you always haggle. You will find they are prepared to pay a lot more tahn they first say!

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions send me a PM.

Guest Deb24
Hi my hubby is a network engineer for cable TV, he was on good money in UK - been offerred a starting salary of $48,000 pa here in WA which we're told is pretty much the norm.

Hi My husband works for Virgin as an engineer any idea of what web sites to look under or employer's. Can't seem to find this on the SOL list though can we he still get a visa?

Guest Deb24

My husband works for Virgin as an installer similar to sky installing phone, tv & broadband is there any work out there for him

Guest kathybeardsell

We did same came over three daughters, nowhere to live, knowing nobody and no jobs. We got work within two weeks of arriving. I was a teacher my husband a lagger.

We were offered jobs in Sydney, Tasmania and Perth. We took the Perth WA jobs, haven't looked back.

Seek is the main internet job seeking site that everone seems to use Australia wide I have listed it with a few others below:

www.seek.com.au

www.jobsearch.com.au

www.jobsearch.gov.au

www.careerone.com.au

www.apsjobs.gov.au

Some Brisbane specific job sites to check are I don't know how good these ones are I haven't checked:

mycareer.com.au/jobs/brisbane

www.jobsbrisbane.com.au

www.brisbanecitylife.com.au/bcl/jobs.htm

employment.byron.com.au/jobs/jobs-in-brisbane.html

Hope this helps you.

Kathy

We are currently in the process of applying for visa to Brisbane, husband has passed first stage on skills assesment. We are struggling to find any info on jobs out there and what kind of money we can expect. We have two kids, one of each flavour, 4 & 16 month, oh my god can't believe we are doing this, any help appreciated. My husbands trade us a Plant Fitter and has full city guilds and has worked in same trade for over 19 years, as a job here I am a payroll supervisor.

There are plenty of gardening jobs so no worrys can he fit trees as well :biglaugh::biglaugh:. seriously good luck.