Least sunny Aug on record!

Guest Pinhead

Guest Pinhead

Yes it's official the weather in August really was rubbish in the UK being the least sunny on record and the fifth wettest!

Least sunny UK August on record

_44930877_flood226b.jpg Northern Ireland was hit by flooding with double the average rainfall

Last month was the dullest August in the UK since records began in 1929, the Met Office has confirmed.

There were just 105.5 hours of sunshine, far less than the average for the month of 165.1 hours.

This August was also the fifth wettest on record with 139.8mm (5.5in) of rain falling, causing floods in some areas.

But John Hammond, from the Met Office, said forecasters expected autumn temperatures to be above average while rainfall would be below average.

The Met Office said high pressure around the Azores which usually brings warmer, brighter weather to Britain in the summer simply had not materialised this year.

But things have not been all bad. In Shanklin, on the Isle of Wight, sunshine levels were 130% of the average.

At the opposite end of the country, in Lerwick in Shetland, the sunshine level was 129% of what forecasters might expect.

And Mr Hammond said things were looking up for the coming months. "For autumn, we are very much expecting temperatures to be above average and for the season itself to have below average rainfall," he said. Northern Ireland was hit by flooding in August, after receiving double the average rainfall for the month.

BBC NEWS | UK | Least sunny UK August on record

Guest Ian&Lou

My sister has been complaining about the english weather to me. She went to see an outdoor performance of A Midsummer Dream and had to wear a jumper and coat, drink hot chocolate instead of the champagne they usually have.

Starting to warm up over here now, so come on all, we're (and the sun) waiting for you!

Lou

Guest Brickie
i like it to rain all day SOMEWHERE ELSE we surely deserve a break lol

Ill trade 2 of your rainy days for a nice warm sunny day, you can have any day except Saturday and Sunday because they are mine, all mine I tell ya.......

Yes it's official the weather in August really was rubbish in the UK being the least sunny on record and the fifth wettest!

Least sunny UK August on record

_44930877_flood226b.jpg Northern Ireland was hit by flooding with double the average rainfall

Last month was the dullest August in the UK since records began in 1929, the Met Office has confirmed.

There were just 105.5 hours of sunshine, far less than the average for the month of 165.1 hours.

This August was also the fifth wettest on record with 139.8mm (5.5in) of rain falling, causing floods in some areas.

But John Hammond, from the Met Office, said forecasters expected autumn temperatures to be above average while rainfall would be below average.

The Met Office said high pressure around the Azores which usually brings warmer, brighter weather to Britain in the summer simply had not materialised this year.

But things have not been all bad. In Shanklin, on the Isle of Wight, sunshine levels were 130% of the average.

At the opposite end of the country, in Lerwick in Shetland, the sunshine level was 129% of what forecasters might expect.

And Mr Hammond said things were looking up for the coming months. "For autumn, we are very much expecting temperatures to be above average and for the season itself to have below average rainfall," he said. Northern Ireland was hit by flooding in August, after receiving double the average rainfall for the month.

BBC NEWS | UK | Least sunny UK August on record

I don't believe you, all lies I tell you! I went to the Cotswolds and it was lovely and sunny.

Guest moonraker1961

I can believe it actually.It has been pretty crap,but last Saturday was beautiful lol Oh well The Big Chill here we come lol lol

nothing better that sitting in a warm, friendly English pub with friendly staff and good company while is pi55ing down with rain outside. Bliss :yes:

Guest Brickie
nothing better that sitting in a warm, friendly English pub with friendly staff and good company while is pi55ing down with rain outside. Bliss :yes:

This would rank along side of having a lie in and you dont have to go to work when its raining on your tin roof..:cool:

Guest moonraker1961

I have to agree with yah brickie.I was only telling OH the other day how nice it was to sit under my bullnose verandah (in summer mind you)and hear the rain!I also used to love laying in bed in winter and hearing the rain on the tin roof.One of lifes joys I reckon lol

Guest Pinhead

Sitting there in your 'flasher mac' & flat cap with your whippet sitting loyally at your side.

Yes I can completely agree, I have been home for the school holidays for the first time in 27 years of my working life, and I negotiated at work for half annual leave and half unpaid leave for the full five weeks and yep its the wettest August in history and yes JoHatts we have had our heating on too!:arghh::arghh:

Sitting there in your 'flasher mac' & flat cap with your whippet sitting loyally at your side.

is that a question or a personal experience?

Guest Maka Paka

It's such a precious natural comodity,rain.

I've learned to appreciate it much more being in Oz,getting billed for over usage of water,having a four minute shower,not being able to wash the car or use a hosepipe......Yes Britain is truly blessed with the fruits of nature.

I supposse I'm a glass half full man!

It's such a precious natural comodity,rain.

I've learned to appreciate it much more being in Oz,getting billed for over usage of water,having a four minute shower,not being able to wash the car or use a hosepipe......Yes Britain is truly blessed with the fruits of nature.

I supposse I'm a glass half full man!

Brisbane's cup runneth over.Average annual rainfall

London 611.3

Brisbane 1150.6

Melbourne 566.3

Perth 716.9

Guest Maka Paka
Brisbane's cup runneth over.Average annual rainfall

London 611.3

Brisbane 1150.6

Melbourne 566.3

Perth 716.9

Ha Ha Ha,

can't argue with that,come to mention it rained all summer here in Brisbane right enough.

Still had to take 4 minute showers and banned from washing car.....Bah!!!

Archived