Primary school teacher wanting to teach in WA!!

Guest Dobbsy Family

Guest Dobbsy Family

Hi there - I am a primary school teacher looking to emigrate to WA and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the DETs sponsorship scheme for teachers. I understand that secondary teachers are only being sought after at the mo, but that primary teachers will be for 2009 and 2010!! Yipeeeeee!

The only thing is I have 3 children 4, 6 and 8 and a hubby who obviously will be coming with me and my worry is that 'apparently' through this sponsorship scheme you have no real say in 'where' you end up teaching. I don't mind working in a rural school - I did this 10 years ago in a fab school in mid NSW and had a great time, but I was single then with only myself to consider.

My main worry is that I may end up in a 'bad' area - if there are such areas -!! Obviously I'd want my girls to go to a good school - the choice may be out of my control!!

Am I taking a massive risk here?

Has anyone had any experience on this scheme !

I'd LOVE to hear from you!!!!

Warmest Regards

The Dobbs Family

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:chatterbox:

Guest North of perth

Hello,

We are on 457 sponsorship and have been here over a year. Its currently High School at the moment but we are primary.

They say you should be prepared to go any place, however you can tell them what areas you are and not interested in. They take this into account.

eg we said not interested in anything higher than Carnarvon and didnt want Kalgoorlie.

I have kids aged 16,10,8 and 3 so know the worries you have. However its worked out great for us. If its any help the people who were single tended to get the far out/hotter places.

The scheme can work but its a bit like a leap of faith. We had never even visited OZ and so I was worried sick on the flight over. However we are now here to stay and planning on staying in rural OZ.

Nobody can guarantee the town you will get and only you must decide what your willing to chance.

But it was much easier arriving with hotel,job and housing ready for us.

Do you have an email address? I can send you some pics and info to help let you decide.

• 5 years later...
Guest Specialk
Hello,

We are on 457 sponsorship and have been here over a year. Its currently High School at the moment but we are primary.

They say you should be prepared to go any place, however you can tell them what areas you are and not interested in. They take this into account.

eg we said not interested in anything higher than Carnarvon and didnt want Kalgoorlie.

I have kids aged 16,10,8 and 3 so know the worries you have. However its worked out great for us. If its any help the people who were single tended to get the far out/hotter places.

The scheme can work but its a bit like a leap of faith. We had never even visited OZ and so I was worried sick on the flight over. However we are now here to stay and planning on staying in rural OZ.

Nobody can guarantee the town you will get and only you must decide what your willing to chance.

But it was much easier arriving with hotel,job and housing ready for us.

Do you have an email address? I can send you some pics and info to help let you decide.

hi there, sorry I know this post was sent a while ago but I'm currently in a similar position. Wanting to move to Perth (ideally as I have relatives living there). I have a partner and 2 children aged 6 and 11. I'm a primary school teacher but as I only did the 3 year degree I'm looking to do further postgraduate study so my qualification will be accepted. I know that it won't be at all easy to get a teaching job especially with the changes to Year 7 but can you give me any advice at all on anything? Like I want my boys to go to a decent school so which would you recommend?

Any help at all would be appreciated as I'm starting to feel pretty deflated xx

hi there, sorry I know this post was sent a while ago but I'm currently in a similar position. Wanting to move to Perth (ideally as I have relatives living there). I have a partner and 2 children aged 6 and 11. I'm a primary school teacher but as I only did the 3 year degree I'm looking to do further postgraduate study so my qualification will be accepted. I know that it won't be at all easy to get a teaching job especially with the changes to Year 7 but can you give me any advice at all on anything? Like I want my boys to go to a decent school so which would you recommend?

Any help at all would be appreciated as I'm starting to feel pretty deflated xx

This is a really old thread and the situation has changed markedly over the years. If your training is only 3 years then before you start worrying about what schools your kids might go to some years down the track, start working on how you can upgrade your qualifications - but be aware that things change constantly and, given the oversupply of local grown primary teachers in Aus at the moment, they may not change to your advantage unfortunately.

• 5 months later...

Archived