Help dog has failed blood tests!

pongobongo

Hi,

following our celebrations of getting out visa and booking flights we received the results of our dogs blood tests.

He has had a positive result for ehrlichia and we are devastated.

We are flying out on 6th September and the thought of getting this far and having to leave him behind is awful. He is a rescue dog and when we decided to make the move we took him to the vet to make sure that he would cope with travelling and resettling and so on, just to make sure. The thought that he would not be able to come never entered our heads as he is a fit and healthy jack russell.

We have been advised by Airpets to have him re-tested as sometimes the first test comes back with a wrong result. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks in advance

Kat

x

Guest lee winspear

hi we had our dog in just over two weeks ago and his came back positive for canicola but that is because he was innoculised for leptospirosis in jan 2008 they said that he had to have another test on 14 days after and if it had not changed or the level had got lower then he would be ok to travel, he had the other test this tuesday so we are now waiting for the results the only thing is we are pushed for time as he leaves on monday so i spoke to weybridge who do the bloods and they told me he should be ok to go as the results never usually come back with a higher level than the first time but it is distressing because we leave on tuesday and dont want to leave him here while his blood is back to normal.

Guest lee winspear
Hi,

following our celebrations of getting out visa and booking flights we received the results of our dogs blood tests.

We are flying out on 6th September and the thought of getting this far and having to leave him behind is awful. He is a rescue dog and when we decided to make the move we took him to the vet to make sure that he would cope with travelling and resettling and so on, just to make sure. The thought that he would not be able to come never entered our heads as he is a fit and healthy jack russell.

We have been advised by Airpets to have him re-tested as sometimes the first test comes back with a wrong result. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks in advance

Kat

x

just got a call from our local vets and they have just received in a fax the copy of the second blood test which has come back ok so now he can travel i am sure the same thing will happen to yourselves i hope so

Guest jogrant3232

How long ago did you start the procedure for the blood tests??? Our dog is booked to go on the 23rd Sept but our house sale hasnt gone through yet so we may have to put it back if he needs to start having the blood tests done now.

Hi,

As far as I'm aware blood tests need to be done within 30 days of export.

Blood tests needed for: Leptospirosis, brucella canis, canine ehrlichia, leishmania

Vaccinations for Distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus, parainfluenza and bordatella need to be done at least 14 days before, but not more than 12 mnths export.

Good news Lee - I just hope the same happens for us!

Kat

x

My dog failed his first blood test.But because what ever was wrong had,nt increased on second test he was good to go.So good luck im sure he,ll be fine.If there is a problem can you get some one to mind him till hes ok to go.If there's any probs id be glad to help out I'm not a dog napper just a dog lover.this is a case of pay it forward as a really kind couple in oz took great care of my no1 son (dog)in oz for 6 months till he could fly back to uk without being quarantined.

Best of luck Aggie

From what i have read the disease is spread by ticks and it can be serious. Our vet said that he has never seen a case of it in all the years he has been practising so I assume that it must be rare. I think it is because Pongo has never been ill or shown any signs of illness that the thought that he would fail these tests never occurred to us.

Thanks Aggie for your kind offer-my family will look after him if needs be. It's just the thought of leaving him behind permanently that is proving to be very upsetting at the moment. I think that I would rather leave all my worldly possessions than leave him behind!

Kat

x

you,r very welcome i know how you feel wouldn't like to be parted from my harvey (not again)broke my heart to leave him in oz.but i have him back now and hes just great he was a little strange for a day or two but it was better for him to stay in oz rather then do 6 months quarantine god i thought id never stop crying but alls well that ends well.Not sure on you,r story and i hope oz works for you but a word of warning if there is any chance of you returning to uk please please get you,r dog his rabies jab as this is so needed 7 months before he can return to the uk.Glad you have help if you need it once again best of luck.

Aggie

Dear All

I feel a bit of a fraud posting on this site as i run a little pet shipper myself. I will try to be as unbiased in my posts as it is my intention to make sure families can stay with their pets and if we get to fly them great, if we dont, then no problems. I have been asked to post about these things, so for those who think i am trying to drum up business and abusing this forum, then apologies.

Re Ehrlichia: it has to be said that Airpets are a very good company and know this problem in side out, so i am not sure that I can help further. The Lepto canicola is a very different problem and 2 positives is ok to fly with. The Ehrlichia has to be negative or nothing. Positives are thought to be caused by organisms that are in the gut of some dogs (like the healthy good bacteria we are told to eat by Yaklut). this makes them produce antibodies which then cross reacts on the test for Ehrlichia making this positive even though your dog almost certainly does not have the disease.

What we do is to do the first sample which comes back positive, then do another sampel on a Tuesday afternoon and send it straight to the lab and harrass the lab to test it on Wednesday (they only run the test on Monday, Wednesday and Friday). No-one knows why this helps, but as the blood is out of the dog for the shortest time possible, then this seems to help. If this does not help, then pop the dog on 14 days worth of an antibiotic called Doxycycline and retest on the Tuesday afternoon again. These antibiotics are not guaranteed to help and in theory, there is no reason why they should, but they do seem to.

One of the rules is that your vet has to apply a tick killer at the time they take th ebloods. It is absolutely devastating for the vet to get the blood sample and it be ok and then we cant use it as the vet forgot to apply the tick killer. Make sure they dont forget the tick killer!!!

I am sorry to say that if the Ehrlichia is still postive at this point, then things are not looking good and an option is to retest once per month until the result is ok, but there are no guarantees that this will happen. This has the downside that your dog willeb in kennels for quite a long time which is not fun for your dog (and adds to your costs).

I really do hope that helps.

Thanks for that. We had him re-tested on Tuesday evening so the sample should have got there Wednesday.

We hope to get the result tomorrow and we have everything crossed for the negative result. We have also started him on antibiotics (ronaxan) so we can get him tested again if needs be.

I'll let you know how he gets on.

Kat

x

• 2 years later...
Guest christina

Please can you tell me what happened with your dog and his test for ehrlichiosis. It has just happened to my dog, and he is ready to fly on sunday may 8th, but we are devastated to find the result was positve.

Please let me know what you can.

Thanks. x

Dear Christina

There is another post on here about this.

First thing is to start your dog on doxycycline (10mg/kg - get this from yoru vet), this is not guaranteed to help, but anecdotally it may. Secodn thing to do in the mean time is to get a sample taken on a Tuesday or Thursday and get it to the lab by the next day at 0900 and they will test it that day, your vet will have to call the lab and make sure they are expecting this. if that test is failed then retest after 7-10 days on the doxycycline and see what goes with that. There is a way to extend the validity of the first samples so you can delay your dogs flight by up to 14 days if you wish. If it really wont come back negative then you are very stuck in deed .

Give me a call at work, it is not too hard to find the details and best of luck, if we can help we will.

Guest christina

Thank you for your reply. The vet has said nothing will bring the levels down, and there is nothing to be done cos it needs to be 1:40 for a negative result ( what aqis demand). I am not sure if the antibiotics you have suggested, will 'touch' his antibody count because it is 320, extremely high, although he has no symptoms. this suggests he is in stage 2 of the disease lying dormant with his healthy immune system fighting the parasite which is waiting for his body to have a crisis and then wil take over and then he will display symptoms.

We are devastated.

Not looking good, but thank you for your help.

Christina x

Dear Christina

There is another post on here about this.

First thing is to start your dog on doxycycline (10mg/kg - get this from yoru vet), this is not guaranteed to help, but anecdotally it may. Secodn thing to do in the mean time is to get a sample taken on a Tuesday or Thursday and get it to the lab by the next day at 0900 and they will test it that day, your vet will have to call the lab and make sure they are expecting this. if that test is failed then retest after 7-10 days on the doxycycline and see what goes with that. There is a way to extend the validity of the first samples so you can delay your dogs flight by up to 14 days if you wish. If it really wont come back negative then you are very stuck in deed .

Give me a call at work, it is not too hard to find the details and best of luck, if we can help we will.

Wow! that is super high. Has the lab retested it/are your vets sure this is the result - have you seen the result yourself? Has your dog ever been out of UK? if he has not then it is nearly impossible for the readings to be that high. We had a positive reading recently for a dog going to NZ, and somethign similar happened about 2 years ago where the lab churned out a batch of positives and had some dodgy reagents for the tests. Christina if we can help, then let me know. I described below what we would do and i would still go through that process, you may lose a couple of hundred pounds in lab fees, but at least you give it a crack. Let me know if we can help and if we can then send us down a tray of Krispy Kremes and write somethign nice about us, that is all we ask! If we can help, then we will. Best of luck

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Kat

x

Hi we used the same company they where lovely.

Our dog had to have a second test and everything came back fine.

I really hope that everything comes back clear for u this time

Good luck

Anita :biggrin:

Guest christina

Thanks, I will phone you up sometime if that's ok. My dog has never been out of the country not even Scotland! he has never been to the vet through illness, other than for his jabs and is a cossetted house pet.

I am taking him for the first blood retest tomorrow and I have already got him on the antibiotics but only a 10 day supply, he started them 4 days ago. I think I will ask for another 18 tablets to take it to 28 days of the doxycycline. I will also ask for a retest in another 2 weeks and another 2 weeks after that. The vets do not have a clue, haven't come across it before and don't even want him to have the antibiotics because he is fit and well and symptomless! I asked them at the time for them but they refused saying he didn't need any. All they said was to phone AQIS in Australia, which I have done and they said to try antibiotics but not which ones or for how long. I lied to the vet and told them your info was from AQIS.without your input I would not know what to do so THANK YOU!! Krispy Kremes are the least I could do.

Christina

• 1 month later...
I'm starting to worry now as my dog had her lepto vaccine last November and I'm hoping to fly her out next March. I thought the leptp vaccine would only stay in her body for year does anyone know??

:wideeyed: You got me thinking now , our dog had his jabs done in march and we fly next march ......... hope somone can help on your enquiry paulswin ! Would put my mind at rest too

Dear Bridey Collette and Paulswin.

Both of you hold tight. what happened to Christina's dog is hugely rare and quite unpredictable and i would love her to let us all know what happened.

Lepto vaccination one year before flight is very unlikely to make any difference at all, it is most likely to mean that your dog has to have 2 blood tests rather than one, which we can talk you or your vet through. It is hugely unlikely to cause a problem, just make sure your vet keeps the Lepto vaccintaion away from your dog in the future before you go to OZ.

If you are worried you can go to your vet and have a preliminary test done for lepto (and the other tests), but for the very few times we get problems, it is really not worth it - in my very humble opinion.

Basically both of you dont you worry and if we can help give us a tinkle.

Dear Bridey Collette and Paulswin.

Both of you hold tight. what happened to Christina's dog is hugely rare and quite unpredictable and i would love her to let us all know what happened.

Lepto vaccination one year before flight is very unlikely to make any difference at all, it is most likely to mean that your dog has to have 2 blood tests rather than one, which we can talk you or your vet through. It is hugely unlikely to cause a problem, just make sure your vet keeps the Lepto vaccintaion away from your dog in the future before you go to OZ.

If you are worried you can go to your vet and have a preliminary test done for lepto (and the other tests), but for the very few times we get problems, it is really not worth it - in my very humble opinion.

Basically both of you dont you worry and if we can help give us a tinkle.

:wubclub:ah thanks for putting my mind at rest bob ! I Was going to ring you in a few days anyhow ..... as soon as i can keep my wiggly old terrier still to measure him :laugh:

Brides x

• 4 weeks later...

Our dog failed his lepto and is stuck in transit kennels in the UK. He was jabbed in Nov 2010 yet failed on lepto by a huge reading. He had a secound test two weeks later and has had a 75% drop in the reading. However our flights were booked and we have had to leave him in kennels. We are all devastated and are really worried if he is ever going to pass. He is getting his blood taken again next week which will be four weeks since his last. So fingers crossed no idea how long this could drag on for. I thought with him been vaccinated from been a puppy he would be ok. And with his last lepto jab been last november assumed all would be ok. Really miss the old chap.

Flash Gordon - Can i help? I would need to know the levels of the blood results, btu if it really proves impossible to get him into Australia, he can go to NZ spend 90 days there and then go to Australia with no quarantine, so may be better than him languishing in UK kennels with no good option. As i said if we can help let us know. A tray of krispy Kremes is our fee for this kind fo thing.:)

Hi Bob

I know the readings seem high. Which shocked us, and all ive i have spoken to, In fact i have been told by the vets and the transit company they are the highest they have ever seen.

His first reading was 1/12300 And his 2nd was 1/3200. The 2nd reading was two weeks after the first. He is due due for another test on the 22nd July which will have been four weeks from his 2nd test.

He past all his other tests. He is a very large fit rhodesian ridgeback.

Thanks for any help.

Archived