Guest YellowGecko

Aussie Supermarkets

Guest YellowGecko

Right, OK. We've probably all read someone saying on here at some point about how the supermarkets out here are years behind those of the UK. (By the way, out of all the supermarkets I've been to, in different countries, none are as good as the UK's!).

BUT.. I sometimes wonder how the elderly people get their shopping done, here.

I mean, back home, you get phones in the supermarkets, by which you can freephone a taxi cab company and they have a taxi rank outside the stores main entrance.

I have seen nothing at all like this over here. And I have seen how well used this service is, by the elderly (amongst others who have no car/cannot drive), in the UK.

Since it's usually a long trek to get to a supermarket here...well on the Gold/Sunshine Coasts, as everything's so spread out... I wonder how a lot of people do manage to get their food shopping.

Let's face it, stores' own websites in Oz are useless and usually don't list their products, let alone prices, and online grocery shopping with a delivery service just doesn't appear to exist.

Do Tesco still do a free bus service in the UK, to their stores?? I know they do where I am from.

Nothing like anything I have mentioned exists in Oz, that I can see.

:wacko:

Guest sheena

hiya, i know my old teco/asda still do the free bus service in uk

and over here in oz, our local woolworths seem to do it also!

sheena :wubclub:

I really do miss Asda and Marks and Spencers, maybe one day they will decide to move over to Oz.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

https://www.colesonline.com.au/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CMLForwardViewCmd?storeId=10052&catalogId=10001&viewName=HomePageDisplay

There is Coles online as well, which is starting to deliver soon on the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle and Canberra according to the website.

Still not as good as Tesco and Sainsburys though:sad:- they don't sell clothes and booze!

Jo x

We used to have Coles (I think) do home deliveries with online ordering here in Canberra but they stopped for some reason. I think it would be great if they could reinstate them. IGA do home deliveries still I think but in person shopping.

One of the things that I saw widely in UK last month and paid careful attention to (aged mother now very tottery) was the fantastic shopmobility scheme. Cambridge has a brilliant scheme and I am about to write to our Chief Minister to see if they would consider a similar scheme here - mobility scooters/electric wheelchairs/manual wheelchairs with up to two hours of a personal pusher if required!!!!! Add to that, 3 hours free parking in an accessible parking spot all makes it so much easier for those with mobility problems to get out there in the community and participating. Given that the elderly tottery are less likely to be able to access the internet to make grocery purchases anyway I think it would be a good idea to get them into the shopping centres (providing they can still drive). My crusade will begin today!!!!:yes:

Guest Redaussies

YellowGecko you read my mind. I was standing in Woolworths, Mt Ommaney on Monday and as I waited and waited to be served, I said to myself "I'm gonna put a bloody post on PIO about this.

I can't believe how far behind it is here. I know we shouldn't compare things and should break away from that habbit but honestly. I find the Supermarkets old looking and sometimes dingy. We have Coles and Woolworth in our shopping mall and I don't bother with the Coles one. The Woolworth one is a bit better, and the fruit and veg and meat counters are excellent, I'd say about 1/3 of the store. But I'm amazed at the lack of selection in other things and the lack of quality and service.

For example why do they have big queues at the checkout, Why can't they get the staff to open more tills. This is happening all the time. And why do they pack for you? Don't get me wrong this is a nice gesture and idea, but if they offered it to you "Do you want a hand with your packing" like they do in Tesco and you then say No I can pack it, it would speed up the check out process. Also here in Queensland there is no alcohol sold which I think is an area where they the supermarket lose out. I'm not complaining about this because here in Mt Ommaney we have the best Offie I have ever seen called Dan Murphy's, its outstanding, so this point doesn't bother me personally. They allow alcohol sales in NSW from supermarkets so why should Queensland be different. Alcohol sales generate so much income these days for supermarkets to reinvest in services and higher standards.

They have to move with the times and modernise and offer better services to people. After all, when people talk about lifestyle being better what exactly do they include in that. (Could be a good post Redders boy??) Tesco are trying to break into the American market against the giant Wallmart, strange how they haven't come here? I know for sure the Aussies would try and prevent that free competition, but yet they allow Virgin Blue to compete here against Jet Star and Qantas. Maybe Tesco don't fancy the market here, it's probably not profitable enough with just 20 million people over such a wide area. But I do think the Australian people let alone us cheeky migrants are being sold way short by the likes of Coles, Woolworth and the Government who do not seem to encourage free enterprise enough in certain area's where they are over protective. :unsure:

Can I just add that the shops in general in Brisbane and our suburb are great, though I see nothing here in Oz that is much cheaoer than the UK other than petrol,

REDDERS

Guest YellowGecko

Heh! Didn't know Coles are now starting to offer online shopping.. that's something.

I suppose I just haven't really felt like I have fitted in too well here in Oz and have always missed the (in my opinion) better choice of food in the UK supermarkets. Remember I didn't really choose to live here, it just sort of happened, since I married my Oz hubby out here. My heart lies with the UK, even though it's now nicknamed 'Broken Britain' by the media.

But bearing in mind I cannot wait to return to the UK to live, I still believe the supermarkets are way behind, over here. Yeah, shopmobility. They have that at the local Westfield shopping centre. Good service, although I think you do have to pre-arrange wheelchairs etc with them, the day before needing to use the facility offered.

Redders - it beats me why they're all not licenced to sell alcohol. Not sure if that applies in all states anyway.

What made me laugh was we went into a bottle shop, saturday, as it was the only place local at the time and I wanted a lemonade or something to take a tablet with.

They didn't sell soft drinks! Alcohol only! No mixers!

On the transient, popular, yet lonely Gold Coast,

Jo x

Guest Scott Family

interesting to read your thread about supermarkets and how they don't quite compare with the UK.

I have no real experience of an aussie supermarket but i think that the reason the UK is so well thought of is due to the competiton the big 4 put on each other over here. We have so many supermarkets here in manchester and they all want your business not just for you to buy food but clothes, home stuff, tv's and toys. They also have quotas for the checkouts so they have to go at a fast pace to keep the queue downs.

Tesco's have opened in California in the US but on a small scale under a totally different brand but i don't know if they will move into Aus. It would be great if M&S were there though!!

Guest jewels1356

the bikkie ailse is the best yummy but i hurd a roumer that tescos was trying to get in over thier but not sure how true it is si keeping my fingers croosed

julie

xx

Not a problem for the elderly who do not want to get to the shop, they can just phone through their order and it will be delivered.

Coles and Safeway both have online shopping but they only deliver to certain areas you need to put in the post code to find out if they cover you, Woolworths is Safeway in Victoria not for much longer though they are changing its name to Woolworths.

Also all chemists deliver to elderly people.

Elderly people have carers through the council, Mum has one who comes and cleans her unit every week for a very low fee. If she needs more care she can have one come and help her shower. Also they do shopping.

Library have people that take books to elderly people.

If you do not have an elderly person you probably have no reason to know what is available but the idea is now to keep people in their own homes for as long as they are able to manage. My mum is going to be 90 soon and she manages very well.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest itskaren
I really do miss Asda and Marks and Spencers, maybe one day they will decide to move over to Oz.

I do most of my clothes shopping on line at M&S. I get it delivered to my sister and she sends it on to me. It has saved me hundreds in kids school uniform especially the navy blue school trousers. Much better quality than anything in Oz. It does really work out a lot cheaper than the school uniform shops here. As long as you know your sizes.

Guest kdal

Only went supermarket shopping a couple of times in Australia and what I did notice was that the fruit & veg and meat looked so much fresher than the produce in the supermarkets here in the UK.

I am and cant remember for the life of remember liked this Lime cordial drink that they sold.

It is hard to do a weekly shop here in the UK because of the sell by dates. Whats it like to do a weeks shopping in a Supermarket in Australia is it achieveable?

Guest earlswood

Choice, quality and special offers are years behind over here....plus they do not sell booze:dull: so no real competition = high bloody prices...

Guest I.C.F.

I have been in Oz for nearly a year and have had no problem getting any products. Admittedly, fruit and veg are seasonal but I have got used to that.

Maybe its different areas but I have found the quality and service of all supermarkets great. Personally, I like the fact that booze is sold seperately - the choice in Dan Murphy's and 1st Choice is unbelievable. Bunnings in just the same as B&Q

Guest earlswood
I have been in Oz for nearly a year and have had no problem getting any products. Admittedly, fruit and veg are seasonal but I have got used to that.

Maybe its different areas but I have found the quality and service of all supermarkets great. Personally, I like the fact that booze is sold seperately - the choice in Dan Murphy's and 1st Choice is unbelievable. Bunnings in just the same as B&Q

They are the cheapest but still bloody expensive compared to what you can get in the UK...THE BOTTLED BEERS ARE SOOOOO EXPENSIVE..:arghh:

They are the cheapest but still bloody expensive compared to what you can get in the UK...THE BOTTLED BEERS ARE SOOOOO EXPENSIVE..:arghh:

I agreee Earlwood:no:

Guest The Baggo's

I have found the supermarkets to be fine - superb in fact!. I think there is a wide variety of everything -far more choice in the deli counter than in the UK - in the 'asian isle' at our local Coles you can get Tetley tea bags, marmite, Weetabix etc - personally I think everything local / aussie brands are just as good. I have found a great butchers, stock up at 1st choice for grog and use local fruit and veg. I have no grievence when asked 'how's your day' while my shopping is packed better than the 'grunt' at my local Asdas / Tescos! - if you have something else to do there is always parcel pick up! I agree Coles / Woolies not so competitive but the population is also smaller.

Guest winterbunny

This is the sort of discussion that helped to create the phrase whinging pom.

Guest Pinhead

The Safeway/Woolworths in the QV centre in Melbourne is actually pretty good, a hell of a lot better than Lidl or Aldi in the UK.

Guest Aldo
The Safeway/Woolworths in the QV centre in Melbourne is actually pretty good, a hell of a lot better than Lidl or Aldi in the UK.

I don't really think that is a fair comparison.

Guest earlswood

Ignore him, he likes to compare the worst in the UK with the best over here........bottom line....Those living here...YOU ALL KNOW THE SUPERMARKETS ARE CRAP IN OZ COMPARED TO THE UK IN CHOICE AND QUALITY......plus they close 10 mins after opening and all the shop assistants and shoppers are in bare smelly feet or wearing UGG boots that smell of wee and they are all in their nighties or pyjamas...disgusting!.....stop telling lies people....:no:

Ignore him, he likes to compare the worst in the UK with the best over here........bottom line....Those living here...YOU ALL KNOW THE SUPERMARKETS ARE CRAP IN OZ COMPARED TO THE UK IN CHOICE AND QUALITY......plus they close 10 mins after opening and all the shop assistants and shoppers are in bare smelly feet or wearing UGG boots that smell of wee and they are all in their nighties or pyjamas...disgusting!.....stop telling lies people....

:wacko: Welcome back Earlswood! :twitcy:

Lyn

Have to say I too have found the supermarkets below Par in Oz BUT for all north side Brisbane people.

Hyper market in Aspley is the closest I have found...It is a hugh coles and the choice is amazing...then there is a cafe ...clothes(Kmart selection) ..shoes...electrical goods ..manchester ..even outdoor funiture and camping equitment. So glad I found it makes shopping days less :SLEEP:

Guest Pinhead

Sorry Aldo you misunderstood me, I wasn't making a direct comparison.

What I was trying to say is that not all supermarkets in Oz are rubbish & not all supermarkets in the UK are great.

However the majority of supermakets in Oz are a lot worse than the majority of supermarkets in the UK.

I would say that the Safeway/Woolies in QV centre in Melbourne is on a par if not better than my local Sainsbury apart from the lack of ready made meals. But that's not such a bad thing from a healthy eating perspective especially considering the fresh fruit in woolies is a lot fresher and has a better choice.