Aussie Supermarkets

Guest YellowGecko

But why are we constantly looking for the equivilant to what we have in the UK? Why are we not just accepting that things are done differently in Australia?

Where we're going there is a Woolworths and an Aldi in the town centre as well as a great greengrocers and several really good butchers, not to mention the guy who parks at the side of the road selling HUGE prawns!! I'd love to be able to go from shop to shop in this country and support the local smaller businesses but not only is the cost prohibitive but the selections are rubbish.

Dan Murphys is fantastic - my OH would quite happily camp out in the Greenhills one rather than stay with her parents when we go over!

But why are we constantly looking for the equivilant to what we have in the UK? Why are we not just accepting that things are done differently in Australia?

Spot on. Unfortunately that is human nature, we will always compare a new situation to that of one in the past, I suppose it helps with the transition. It is funny though, for a long time after we moved from South Africa to the UK I used to convert Pounds to Rands to comprehend prices now when we holiday in South Africa I convert Rand to Pounds to work out prices :biglaugh:

The quicker the comparing of OZ to UK is dropped the quicker you as a person will assimulate to the OZ culture. there is no quicker way to pee a OZZIE off than to compare UK to OZ unfavorably

Guest Pinhead
Spot on. Unfortunately that is human nature, we will always compare a new situation to that of one in the past, I suppose it helps with the transition. It is funny though, for a long time after we moved from South Africa to the UK I used to convert Pounds to Rands to comprehend prices now when we holiday in South Africa I convert Rand to Pounds to work out prices :biglaugh:

The quicker the comparing of OZ to UK is dropped the quicker you as a person will assimulate to the OZ culture. there is no quicker way to pee a OZZIE off than to compare UK to OZ unfavorably

I couldn't agree more webweazel.

People do however need to know the facts and one of those facts is that their local supermarket is more likely to be worse than their local in the UK. That way they can set their expectations and plan accordingly even if that is to shop at smaller greengrocers, etc

Guest earlswood
Spot on. Unfortunately that is human nature, we will always compare a new situation to that of one in the past, I suppose it helps with the transition. It is funny though, for a long time after we moved from South Africa to the UK I used to convert Pounds to Rands to comprehend prices now when we holiday in South Africa I convert Rand to Pounds to work out prices

Ohhhh yes,mention the olympics now and again:twitcy:

Guest Carl&Lisa

Comparisons are only ever made with a negative view in mind, ie the supermarkets are better in the uk rather than oz. How come we never read about positive comparisons, the so called reasons that people move out to oz, ie less population in oz than uk, better beaches in oz than uk, no congestion charge in oz, the sun shines more in oz than the uk, you can spend more time outside with your family in oz than the uk (due to weather conditions) you can talk to your next do neighbour in oz and have a 95% chance that he speaks english and will talk back, you can travel around oz and experience amazing scenery, you can travel arround the uk and experience traffic, a boat trip out to the reef is far better than a boat tip on the english channel. I know which one i would prefer and its not sainsburys!!

Guest earlswood
Comparisons are only ever made with a negative view in mind, ie the supermarkets are better in the uk rather than oz. How come we never read about positive comparisons, the so called reasons that people move out to oz, ie less population in oz than uk, better beaches in oz than uk, no congestion charge in oz, the sun shines more in oz than the uk, you can spend more time outside with your family in oz than the uk (due to weather conditions) you can talk to your next do neighbour in oz and have a 95% chance that he speaks english and will talk back, you can travel around oz and experience amazing scenery, you can travel arround the uk and experience traffic, a boat trip out to the reef is far better than a boat tip on the english channel. I know which one i would prefer and its not sainsburys!!

:embarrassed: don't get that one.

My parents moved on average every 12 months with my dads job and the best piece of advice mum was ever given was "you're not looking at better or worse, just different".

Moving is a huge thing, emigrating even more so but getting hung up on all the differences and the negative comparisons will only make people miserable.

Positive thinking makes a huge difference in how people can adapt and settle.

And for what it's worth - after shopping in Kwik Save for a year Coles is like the food court at Harrods!!

Absoutely and when you get here you will be able to see them first hand for yourself (or not, perhaps) and reel them off here - some of the ones you have listed are a tad dubious to say the least but it would be negative of me to say which ones of course.

Have to say I too have found the supermarkets below Par in Oz BUT for all north side Brisbane people.

Hyper market in Aspley is the closest I have found...It is a hugh coles and the choice is amazing...then there is a cafe ...clothes(Kmart selection) ..shoes...electrical goods ..manchester ..even outdoor funiture and camping equitment. So glad I found it makes shopping days less :SLEEP:

Pick N Pay thats a South African brand, do they sell S-A products or is it another Coles? The Wifey will only be to pleased as we plan to head to Brisbane!

Guest JoanneHattersley

Supermarkets are not better or worse . They are different. Here in Oz, the fruit/veg is fresher and better tasting. The quality of some meats way exceeds the UK. The variety of fish and the freshness way exceeds the UK.

In the UK bread is cheaper, MUCH MUCH cheaper! That is my main issue here.

Besides that as I have said before, if you havent got it here, you cant have it!!!! Find a substitute and get on with life. Its the quality of life as a family/couple in Oz NOT the quality of the supermarket that should be a higher concern!

Just my thoughts!

Guest Sam&Si

Well said Johatts, spot on.

Also - when I moved to the UK I was amazed to see the supermarkets selling booze. Couldn't believe it - it seemed obvious to me that shoppers would end up spanking their money on alcohol instead of basics and fruit/veg. Which is what I now do!

I am so looking forward to getting back to normal life where I spend as little time as possible in the supermarket because there are other/better things to do as opposed to UK where we are at the stage we are almost going there unnecessarily just for something to do.

Well said Johatts, spot on.

Couldn't believe it - it seemed obvious to me that shoppers would end up spanking their money on alcohol instead of basics and fruit/veg. Which is what I now do!

Hey there is nothing wrong with getting you daily in take of fruit + veg from a Bottle or Can!!! (and it doesn't spoil in a couple of weeks !)

Guest Sam&Si

True! Cider = apples - it's all good! Wine = grapes - again, good!

(although don't know where you buy your fruit veg from if you're getting a couple of weeks out of it, I swear to god those bags of prepared salad only last mere hours before they turn to seaweed?!)

Guest winterbunny

Unfortunately many of the benefits of being in Australia as you list them are going away because of too many immigrants. And Australian supermarkets are just their own kind of creature, American supermarkets and Canadian supermarkets are different again. I would shop more happily in Coles than in Sainsbury's any day.

Guest earlswood
Supermarkets are not better or worse . They are different. Here in Oz, the fruit/veg is fresher and better tasting. The quality of some meats way exceeds the UK. The variety of fish and the freshness way exceeds the UK.

In the UK bread is cheaper, MUCH MUCH cheaper! That is my main issue here.

Besides that as I have said before, if you havent got it here, you cant have it!!!! Find a substitute and get on with life. Its the quality of life as a family/couple in Oz NOT the quality of the supermarket that should be a higher concern!

Just my thoughts!

I dont disagree with you much Johatts but I do not find fruit/veg meat and fish any better than in the UK:no:

I dont disagree with you much Johatts but I do not find fruit/veg meat and fish any better than in the UK:no:

I have read all these comments and have come to the conclusion you are all on the wrong track. Who gives a damn about what the supermarkets are like, we hardly use them. We have been here from UK nearly 40 years, and have found you hardly need them! We only buy our milk, bread, toilet rolls, washing powder etc. we would be unlucky if we spent more than $30 per week in them, and usually its Aldi! We buy all our meat veggies fish etc from the markets. a lot fresher than the supermarkets, and what we save gives us a good holiday every year. Wherever you live in Oz if you check you will find a good market within reach, eg Melbourne has Victoria & Footscray markets, Sydney Paddy's market, Brisbane has many eg Rocklea, Powerhouse Caboolture, Redcliffe, and other staes all have them.

The big thing about markets also is it takes the stress out of shopping, it's quite entertaining!

So forget comparing supermarkets and try market shopping, you'll be surprised how far your money goes.

Here in Oz a lot of supermarket fruit and veg usually left the grower about 10 days before, so don,t get sucked in by the freshness advertizing!! :jiggy:

I have read all these comments and have come to the conclusion you are all on the wrong track. Who gives a damn about what the supermarkets are like, we hardly use them. We have been here from UK nearly 40 years, and have found you hardly need them! We only buy our milk, bread, toilet rolls, washing powder etc. we would be unlucky if we spent more than $30 per week in them, and usually its Aldi! We buy all our meat veggies fish etc from the markets. a lot fresher than the supermarkets, and what we save gives us a good holiday every year. Wherever you live in Oz if you check you will find a good market within reach, eg Melbourne has Victoria & Footscray markets, Sydney Paddy's market, Brisbane has many eg Rocklea, Powerhouse Caboolture, Redcliffe, and other staes all have them.

The big thing about markets also is it takes the stress out of shopping, it's quite entertaining!

So forget comparing supermarkets and try market shopping, you'll be surprised how far your money goes.

Here in Oz a lot of supermarket fruit and veg usually left the grower about 10 days before, so don,t get sucked in by the freshness advertizing!! :jiggy:

Supermarkets everywhere are about making as much profit as possible. I don't buy the meat and fruit / veg are fresher here. If you want fresh and tasty go to farm shops. I was driving through Kent (UK) and stopped to buy some apples and they where so sweet and tasty that I u-turned and went back and filled the boot up with fruit and veg and pickles and all sorts of stuff, luvley jubley

Living in Australia 1st I found Asda/Teso strange!!!! Clothes, TV's Food etc all under the one roof having to bag my own shopping??? the only positive wide isles, they have BIGGER stores selling less variety eg biscuits asda brand, asdas own then mc vities great!!!!! NOT

Now I've been here 4 yrs how will I find OZ supermarkets?????

As for Alcohol in Victoria both coles and safeway have there own outlet next to the store so you can buy it with your shopping.

Late night shopping Thursday and Friday some Targets and Kmarts open till midnight all week, and 24 hr shopping I thinks shops are open longer in Victoria than in the UK!!!

Geoffrey

Supermarkets everywhere are about making as much profit as possible. I don't buy the meat and fruit / veg are fresher here. If you want fresh and tasty go to farm shops. I was driving through Kent (UK) and stopped to buy some apples and they where so sweet and tasty that I u-turned and went back and filled the boot up with fruit and veg and pickles and all sorts of stuff, luvley jubley

I do agree about the fruit/veg being fresher thing - I had the good fortune to buy a punnet of strawberries from the Cambridge market not so long ago and EVERY ONE of them actually tasted like strawberry. Well, the little man on the market got our patronage every time we went in to town. I have never had a good tasting strawberry grown commercially here - our own are OK but they need a lot of water (which we dont have) and not too much heat (which we do!). The apples and pears we were buying were definitely tastier too although, obviously, the tropical fruit didnt fare as well. The DH didnt complain about the salad greens either - he would have if he could have!!!! - he had variety, freshness and good taste.

Guest MAUREEN3515

Hi i am from liverpool i have been here fortyone years you right there is only two big supermarkets and they charge to deliver there grocerys, what would they if tesco moved out here .What happens when the firn decides to go off shore there is a lot of them doing it your hot sun and nice looking beaches going to put your bread on the table then the tax its high then this goverment dose not look after there old people, to get pension you have got to be 65 men 63half women.I have missed liverpool for 40years if i could go back i would leave 12 granchildren NO 4daughters NO thinkit hard

Guest MAUREEN3515

talking about fruit veg in oz you are wrong i owned a friut and veg market in oz we would to the market at 2,30am to buy thinking we were buying fresh well we were wrong the apples were 12 months old buy bananas green they were black the next day forget tomatos we throw out more than we sold not our fault we thought we were buying the best so don,t tell me about friut and veg go and ask about in the little shop trying to get a living out of it he will tell how much he takes home.

Guest earlswood

Here in Oz a lot of supermarket fruit and veg usually left the grower about 10 days before, so don,t get sucked in by the freshness advertizing!!

Good post....same in the UK....so many farmers markets and most towns have outdoor markets and local butchers....whe I was in London I used the meat market and fish market all the time and the fruit and veg open markets are all over the place....ditch the supermarkets...:jiggy:

Guest earlswood
talking about fruit veg in oz you are wrong i owned a friut and veg market in oz we would to the market at 2,30am to buy thinking we were buying fresh well we were wrong the apples were 12 months old buy bananas green they were black the next day forget tomatos we throw out more than we sold not our fault we thought we were buying the best so don,t tell me about friut and veg go and ask about in the little shop trying to get a living out of it he will tell how much he takes home.

This is a lady we should ALL LISTEN TO 40 odd years in Oz...go Maureen..:notworthy:

You make a very good point about the freshness of fruit and veg, Maureen - we certainly notice it with apples at the end of the season, sometimes they are inedible. It must have been hard to compete against the big supermarkets as a small f & v trader.

Archived