CPV 173 to 143

Guest Marilyn

Guest Marilyn

I fly to Perth on Friday (yahoo) on a CPV 173 (2 year) and wonder does anyone know how long it takes to obtain a CPV 143 (permanent)? Since the allocation was filled so quickly last year I assume I should apply immediately.

Marilyn

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Marilyn

You can apply for the upgrade from the CPV 173 to the CPV143 at any time within two years from the date of the grant of your CPV 173.

The upgrade applications are not part of the quota system. Basically the Australian Government has told everybody with a CPV 173 that if they would care to apply for the upgrade, they will not be affected by quotas, queueing, capping etc.

I believe that the upgrade takes 3-4 months to complete, mainly because the Assurance of Support has to be put into place plus they have to give you a reasonable period in which to come up with the remaining 40% of the 2nd Instalment.

Grayling on British Expats started off with a CPV 173 and then upgraded to the CPV 143 two years later. He did not use an Agent for either of his applications, so he may be able to give you some tips.

Meanwhile, have a look at the DIAC burble about it, which is here:

Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (from Subclass 173 to Subclass 143)

Are you sure you understand all the drills for the Assurance of Support? If not, please shout and I will send you the links.

How rich are you, though? (It is a rhetorical question!) As I understand it, the holder of a temp CPV is a Temporary Resident of Oz for tax-purposes. A recent change to the tax legislation now means that someone who is a TR of Australia but who also has income arising in the UK can get the full personal allowances against Income Tax both in the UK and in Oz. I know a couple of Brits who are - by my standards - wealthy. They have both opted for the Investor Retirement Visa. One of them may become eligible for a CPV in due course, if enough of his children migrate to Oz which they might. However Father has told me that even if he becomes eligible for a CPV he probably wouldn't opt to switch because he reckons that TR status as an Investor Retiree will work better for him tax-wise in the long run.

So if you should be considering the best option for you tax-wise (eg deferring the upgrade for a while) I'd suggest a word with Alan Collett of Go Matilda. I'd say Alan specifically because he is a Chartered Accountant in both jurisdictions as well as being a Registered Migration Agent, so he is a tax textbook on legs but his advice is much easier to follow than any of the tomes on the topic.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Marilyn

Thanks for that Gill. I didn't know about the tax implications. To excited to do anything today (48 hours to go) but will follow up your suggestions from down under.

Guest OldiesRUs

Ooh Marilyn! I am sooooo jealous.

Have a great flight and good luck with your new life.

Enjoy!

Jean:wubclub:

• 2 years later...

Archived