Guest sscott

Primary teacher heading out to oz

Guest sscott

Hi I am a primary teacher in the process of obtaining a General Skilled Migration Visa- 175. What are the opportunities for teaching in Perth and also Adelaide as not sure where we are going yet!! Also hear that salaries for teachers are lower than in Scotland, is this true. Also what are school hours in Oz? So many questions......

Thanks,

Shelley,Jake,Nairn and Tain.

Guest fabadababa

Can't really help you too much on that but I gather that each state has its own rules and regulations. I emailed WA education department a while back with a couple of questions and also VIC education department last week, and gotta say they were both VERY quick with their responses (within 24 hours), so it's worth mailing the education department of the state you're interested in.

Also, whichever state you go to, you have to have done 4 years at uni, no matter how much teaching experience you have. I'm doing a 3 year BA with QTS and will have to do a few modules of a Masters while I do my NQT year (no pressure there then), otherwise I won't be able to teach in Oz.

Hope that's of some use to you. Good luck!

Guest samjs

Sorry to jump in on the post. But can I ask what modules you are doing of an Ma to increase your qualifications- Where did you find out what you could do to increase the prospects of teaching in Oz. Like you I have a BA QTS Primary Ed with 5 years tecahing experience.

Guest Darwin's coming too

Hi ladies,

Each state sets it's own pay & conditions, plus independent & catholic systems set their own too. You must be registered with the state before you can teach - same as being registered with GTC. You will need 4 years of training (3yrs BA QTS will NOT do) to pass the skills assessment.

Lots of shortages in secondary science & maths - same as UK.

School holidays tend to be at the end of the term with no half terms, main 6-7 weeks hols are December-January so new school year starts in the new year.

Schools can change their hours depending on climate - so remote schools in hotter weather may be open from 7am til 1pm.

Primary curriculum is not same as UK it is based on ours but chn don't do literacy/numeracy/science/DT/PE/RE etc it's similar to foundation curriculum in terms of "subjects".

Most states run a 2-3day conversion course for overseas trained teachers which introduces you to curriculum and behaviour management.

Hope this helps

Lisa

PS Salaries tend to be similar to UK but takes longer to reach UPS as more stages, not sure about TLRs but they do have a scale for experienced teachers who don't want to go into management roles.:smile: