Tip for all the ladies who work in Admin

Lynandsean

Absolutely stunned that people from the UK are having trouble, have been here 20 years now came as a 22 year old and was able to get any job i wanted, in fact had people ringing me offering jobs i didnt want. Have never had a issue and always get the response of "oh your a pom you can do the job easily". Thought it was the same for everyone! One thing i would say is on the MYOB front, i use it in my job. Try the free trial on there site and tell people you have used it, beleive me some of the people i have empoyed who said they knew how to use it didnt. So dont be too honest. Best of luck to you all!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest LondonGal

Hi, have just read this thread and thought I’d add a few tips from being on both sides. I can only share my experience from Perth but hopefully it will help.

I have had a few accounts/admin jobs since being here and can confirm that UK experience amounts for nothing unless you are lucky enough to be interviewed by another expat or someone who has worked overseas themselves.

I have recently been involved in the recruitment of a receptionist at my company and the things we looked out for in the applications from Seek are as follows. I'm sure most of you are doing this already so apologies in advance if they seem obvious.

• Try and get your application in within a day of the position being advertised. There are so many applicants at the moment that some companies have a cut off time for new applications.
  • ALWAYS address the selection criteria.
  • ALWAYS include a separate covering letter typed professionally. Not just a little note with no address, contact details etc and NOT using the box on the Seek application as they are difficult to read when the applications are received by the advertiser. Your covering letter should be succinct BUT address the main selection criteria in the advert. This is what will get whoever is filtering to look at your CV. It’s amazing how many people do not do this or just say "I'm applying for so and so position, please see attached Resume"
  • Keep your CV to no more than 3 pages. Have lots of white space, bullet point your skills and experience, it makes it much easier to read and makes your CV stand out more. Believe me, when you have to go through 200+ applications you get tired of reading paragraphs of stuff to get to the important bits. Don’t include any more personal details than necessary. (We had one lady who included her kids names and ages)!!!!
  • Don’t just send out generic applications, change cover letters and CV's for each application to suit the position.
  • Use MS Word for your documents, not the Seek templates, and definately not Publisher (yes we had one of those too). They don’t present well at the other end.

I agree with the MYOB comments, I don’t know why they always ask for experience as it is the easiest package I have ever used. I picked it up in less than one day. You can download a trial version from their website (same with Quickbooks) to get a feel for it so you can say you’ve used it a bit J.

Don’t give up though, there will be employers out there willing to give you a chance.

Good luck.

Hi, have just read this thread and thought I’d add a few tips from being on both sides. I can only share my experience from Perth but hopefully it will help.

I have had a few accounts/admin jobs since being here and can confirm that UK experience amounts for nothing unless you are lucky enough to be interviewed by another expat or someone who has worked overseas themselves.

I have recently been involved in the recruitment of a receptionist at my company and the things we looked out for in the applications from Seek are as follows. I'm sure most of you are doing this already so apologies in advance if they seem obvious.

• Try and get your application in within a day of the position being advertised. There are so many applicants at the moment that some companies have a cut off time for new applications.

• ALWAYS include a separate covering letter typed professionally. Not just a little note with no address, contact details etc and NOT using the box on the Seek application as they are difficult to read when the applications are received by the advertiser. Your covering letter should be succinct BUT address the main selection criteria in the advert. This is what will get whoever is filtering to look at your CV. It’s amazing how many people do not do this or just say "I'm applying for so and so position, please see attached Resume"

• Keep your CV to no more than 3 pages. Have lots of white space, bullet point your skills and experience, it makes it much easier to read and makes your CV stand out more. Believe me, when you have to go through 200+ applications you get tired of reading paragraphs of stuff to get to the important bits. Don’t include any more personal details than necessary. (We had one lady who included her kids names and ages)!!!!

• Don’t just send out generic applications, change cover letters and CV's for each application to suit the position.

• Use MS Word for your documents, not the Seek templates, and definately not Publisher (yes we had one of those too). They don’t present well at the other end.

I agree with the MYOB comments, I don’t know why they always ask for experience as it is the easiest package I have ever used. I picked it up in less than one day. You can download a trial version from their website (same with Quickbooks) to get a feel for it so you can say you’ve used it a bit J.

Don’t give up though, there will be employers out there willing to give you a chance.

Good luck.

What's the website address please :cute:

It's infuriating to the point of comical isn't it :twitcy:

I spent 6 hours rewriting my resume yesterday having bought a book telling me how to do it properly Aussie style - quite got into the flow of it, was amazed at how good it looked when I had finished - I thought 'geez is that really mine' LOL Whether it gets me anywhere is another thing though

Lyn x

Hey Lyn,

Ive just started consulting for a lingerie company!! :biggrin:

Em x

Hey Lyn,

Ive just started consulting for a lingerie company!!

Em x

Hi Em!

I noticed on Facebook! hope it's going really well for you - reckon you'd be good at it!

I however, honestly haven't got the courage/bottle to stand in front of a load of ladies - never in a million years :swoon: same would go for selling Tupperware :twitcy:

Lyn x

Good luck.

Great post LG

• 3 months later...
Guest fleagle

Hi all

Before I arrived here, everyone we know who is already out here said "you'll have no problem getting an admin job - admin here is 20 years behind the UK - you'll be snapped up - they're desperate for experienced administrators"... and I'm pleased to say it's been fine. I've only ever worked in University admin so my first port of call here was obviously the Universities. Got a temp job straight away and must have done OK (ha ha) because word got round and I then was approached about 2 other jobs. I'm now in a nice job earning a bit more than I was in the UK and....

YES, I have to use MYOB. No previous experience of it (hadn't even heard of it), have had no training other than on-the-job, but it's not difficult at all to use. Not particularly great in my opinion, but definitely not difficult.

I realise I've been really lucky (maybe it was just right time, right place), but try cold-calling the Unis if you haven't already.

Good luck and Happy New Year :)

Hi all

Before I arrived here, everyone we know who is already out here said "you'll have no problem getting an admin job - admin here is 20 years behind the UK - you'll be snapped up - they're desperate for experienced administrators"... and I'm pleased to say it's been fine. I've only ever worked in University admin so my first port of call here was obviously the Universities. Got a temp job straight away and must have done OK (ha ha) because word got round and I then was approached about 2 other jobs. I'm now in a nice job earning a bit more than I was in the UK and....

YES, I have to use MYOB. No previous experience of it (hadn't even heard of it), have had no training other than on-the-job, but it's not difficult at all to use. Not particularly great in my opinion, but definitely not difficult.

I realise I've been really lucky (maybe it was just right time, right place), but try cold-calling the Unis if you haven't already.

Good luck and Happy New Year :)

Do you mind me asking which part of oz you are in and found it fairly easy to get a job in admin.

I work as an admin asst in a school and would like something similar myself in oz or even uni would also be ok. Im so used to all the school hols so that will be my first point of call and if nothing, will have to venture further afield.

Hope your job goes well.

Debbie

xxx

Do you mind me asking which part of oz you are in and found it fairly easy to get a job in admin.

I work as an admin asst in a school and would like something similar myself in oz or even uni would also be ok. Im so used to all the school hols so that will be my first point of call and if nothing, will have to venture further afield.

Hope your job goes well.

Debbie

xxx

Where abouts in Oz are you heading? Here in WA all the jobs for the different Gov depts (including schools) are advertised here Search Jobs I`m sure the other states will have something similar. The school I work at often needs people for relief and a few people who have handed in their cv`s have been called in - if they are good they get used regularly. Here in WA you also need a working with children check and a current Australian police check (yes even if you`ve only been here a few weeks!) the forms for these are available at the post office.

Archived