Tip for all the ladies who work in Admin

Lynandsean

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for the post, it's good to know I'm not the only one!! I'm in Sydney, and I really thought it wouldn't be a problem finding a job, because I've got lots of experience, and we're right in the city.

I too have signed up with agencies, and applied for so many jobs I've lost count, most of which I know I could do standing on my head. I haven't even had so much as an interview and I really started to think there was something wrong with me! I guess it is a difficult time to be looking for work; there's a lot of stiff competition for the jobs, and UK experience doesn't seem to count for much over here.

The OH has scored an awesome job (he is aussie) which is good, but I really didn't anticipate how difficult it would be for me to find work. It's a shame too, because work is a good place to meet new people.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Annabe

Hi Lyn and Livvy (et al) for the general 'feel' of the situation there. If it means anything, the situation is very bad in the UK too. I am applying for jobs that I can do blindfold, have had 3 interviews and another lined up; trouble is, I can't help thinking that a bit of ageism is at work too; I am 54 soon, and my interviews go really well, with good feedback ... but I don't get the job. I've been told I've 'done well to get an interview, there are so many applicants' and of course there's always someone on the inside better placed. Sounds like sour grapes, I don't mean that at all, just realistic. If I were on the inside, then I'd like to think that I could get the job I want, having proved my worth to the employer already.

I'm open-minded about work options - even been doing bus driving for four years prior to last winter (I went to Spain for the winter, tough but someone's got to do it:laugh: but am paying the price now. May back to the buses, then, despite my good office skills. Thanks again and good luck in your own search.

Good wishes, Ann

Hi Lyn and Livvy (et al) for the general 'feel' of the situation there. If it means anything, the situation is very bad in the UK too. I am applying for jobs that I can do blindfold, have had 3 interviews and another lined up; trouble is, I can't help thinking that a bit of ageism is at work too; I am 54 soon, and my interviews go really well, with good feedback ... but I don't get the job. I've been told I've 'done well to get an interview, there are so many applicants' and of course there's always someone on the inside better placed. Sounds like sour grapes, I don't mean that at all, just realistic. If I were on the inside, then I'd like to think that I could get the job I want, having proved my worth to the employer already.

I'm open-minded about work options - even been doing bus driving for four years prior to last winter (I went to Spain for the winter, tough but someone's got to do it but am paying the price now. May back to the buses, then, despite my good office skills. Thanks again and good luck in your own search.

Good wishes, Ann

Hi Ann

I agree that there is probably a fair bit of ageism going on too. I am 50 which gives me 30+ years of experience but still no luck. I have left my age off my resume (which I was advised to do) but it's not hard to guess what my approx age is when experience is detailed if you get my drift. :eek:

Can't even get a job at Bunnings or Woolworths who seem happy to take 'experienced' workers although I was told last week that they have piles of applications and it could be over a year before I even get the opportunity of an interview :swoon:

Lyn

ps Livvy, you are def not alone!

This news is very worrying already having doubts the exchange rate has fallen have to take less for my wonderful home and if we are not able to get jobs will have to go home again. Comfortable in the UK but feel getting crowded out... traffic is terrible, neighbours are horrible, and don't want my son to turn to drugs like so many others. It feels impossible at the moment.

My great grandad was Australian and have always felt at home there but if I'm English will that mean I can't get work?! I have lots of Aussie friends in UK getting jobs here but from what you are saying I have no way of supporting myself there if Australians don't want us there. No wonder there seems alot moving back to UK?

So confused I don't know what is best any more. Someone please tell me we have a chance of making a go there.

I will clean do anything if need be but I work as a graphic designer here so thought if I can't get a job doing that my computer skills can be used in Admin instead. But looks like I'll have no chance of that. Are Australians really that against us brits. I lot of them come from Britain originally anyway?

I don't get it, worried we are making a big mistake by moving...

Guest guest30038

Hi sanda,

There has been a lot of scaremongering of late. Now this may have it's roots in genuine grievance, based on individual experience, but I can assure you, the attitude of Aussies to Poms as quoted here, is not universal.

I wrote when I first came to PIO of how, in my experience, and based on what I have been told by some employers, and employees, that Poms are highly valued in the workforce.

A recent experience has shown that both Poms (one of them a PIO member) who applied for a particular job were taken on whilst some Aussie applicants were not. They got the job on merit, not on nationality.

Job availabilty/suitability is the issue atm, not your race. Of course, many who fail interviews would rather see it as a race question rather than admit that another applicant was more suited.

kev

Thank you. Reading your posting has made me stop worrying so much about it. I have plenty of skills to fall back on, I lucky to have the finance to retraining if need be! I so want us to make our life work in Australia, blind faith is hard when you are used to stability. Getting a job whilst in the UK is unlikely so both going over without one seems the only way to prove to employers we are committed and able to chase the jobs on the ground. Having worked at the same company for over 10 years I guess it is only natural to worry. I look forward to getting the 'no worries' attitude…

Hi sanda,

There has been a lot of scaremongering of late. Now this may have it's roots in genuine grievance, based on individual experience, but I can assure you, the attitude of Aussies to Poms as quoted here, is not universal.

I wrote when I first came to PIO of how, in my experience, and based on what I have been told by some employers, and employees, that Poms are highly valued in the workforce.

A recent experience has shown that both Poms (one of them a PIO member) who applied for a particular job were taken on whilst some Aussie applicants were not. They got the job on merit, not on nationality.

Job availabilty/suitability is the issue atm, not your race. Of course, many who fail interviews would rather see it as a race question rather than admit that another applicant was more suited.

kev

This news is very worrying already having doubts the exchange rate has fallen have to take less for my wonderful home and if we are not able to get jobs will have to go home again. Comfortable in the UK but feel getting crowded out... traffic is terrible, neighbours are horrible, and don't want my son to turn to drugs like so many others. It feels impossible at the moment.

My great grandad was Australian and have always felt at home there but if I'm English will that mean I can't get work?! I have lots of Aussie friends in UK getting jobs here but from what you are saying I have no way of supporting myself there if Australians don't want us there. No wonder there seems alot moving back to UK?

So confused I don't know what is best any more. Someone please tell me we have a chance of making a go there.

I will clean do anything if need be but I work as a graphic designer here so thought if I can't get a job doing that my computer skills can be used in Admin instead. But looks like I'll have no chance of that. Are Australians really that against us brits. I lot of them come from Britain originally anyway?

I don't get it, worried we are making a big mistake by moving...

I think so long as you have the right attitude and keep plugging away you`ll be fine. It took me a long time to get my first job here (McDonalds even turned me down - they wanted young kids) but I was limited as to where I could apply for due to not driving. Just because some of us have had difficulty doesn`t mean you will - it doesn`t make our experiences any less valid, just means it`s something for you to be aware of and allows you to work out the different strategies you can use.

A friend of mine managed to get work with an agency within a couple of weeks of arriving, the company they placed her with eventually took her on permanent within a couple of months - so it just shows how it all differs from suburb to suburb and state to state and especially to each individual.

Guest fatpom

kev

In the metro areas its probably not too hard to find work. Outside those areas, rural areas, its always been tough finding work & will be much harder at the moment no doubt? Gold coast isn't exactly rural but its not Brisbane either.

In those areas it often comes down to two things, who you know & what you know in that order.

Race (& nationality) has always been an issue & always will be. Poms these days usually sit number two in the queue behind Aussies unless the business is owned by migrants of course.

Most multi-nationals or public service organisations will be relatively free of race bias I presume? The one multinational I worked for generally was free of race bias on the surface. However, the great vast majority of businesses in Aus are small to medium & so it often comes down to things other than just suitability to do the job.

Hi,

I also found that it is difficult to get any reply and I have worked in admin and sales. I took on a financial cert 3 course which was funded by the government, there is funding for a few things such as teachers assistant and care etc and I think they are still doing it. I am finishing the course next week hopefully and hope to find a job as I did MYOB in the course also. Personally though I feel that I won't know the MYOB fully until I am working with it every day as when at college it is different and you don't go out the door remembering every little detail.

As mentioned about Coles jobs etc, I know what you mean as applied and never heard anything but have to try and keep positive and not let it bother me.

Good luck to all finding work!

Liz B

:wub:

Hi sanda,

kev

None of us are 'scaremongering', just stating 'facts'. Are you a female admin person Kev :confused:

Whilst I and probably others appreciated your info about expansions and therefore possible extra personnel required in Queensland Health, are you REALLY qualified to say how it is for us admin ladies???

I started this thread almost a year ago and it has recently been resurrected which is good to see. When I started it, I was pointing out that most jobs required certificates of qualification in software package/s we would not necessarily have been familiar with in the UK or we may be familiar with them - having been taught 'on the job' but do not have the certificate to prove it.

More recently, many of us are being affected by the recession - if you check out unemployment statistics you will find they all say that admin is the 2nd highest (I believe) affected occupation. Add to this the fact that during this downturn, quite naturally Aussies are preferring to take on Aussies - I have no argument with that. A lady I know, who was knocked back for a job (the company had the good grace to send her a letter advising this), telephoned to ask why purely so that she would know where she was going wrong. She was told very kindly that 'I'm really sorry but there are an awful lot of Australian ladies out of work'.

In my case, I was offered the job but then it was withdrawn for no other reason it would appear in this instance that they decided they would prefer a Chinese person. I actually bumped into last week, the other lady who worked there. She had quit because of their 'preference' to Chinese. Nowt to do with what happened to me but apparently they were making it pretty clear in other ways, shall we say!!

So in my case it WAS a race issue but not an Australian one!!

I, and most others I know, fully accept that we are going to play 2nd fiddle to Australian ladies at the present time but are also up against employers need for Australian experience when we can't get a job to get that experience :rolleyes: I can't really afford to do a course to get the certificates either at the moment but such is life!

Lyn

Hi

Just wanted to add that if there's a WEA Centre where you are, enquire about MYOB courses - I did a two day course at our local centre, didn't cost very much (and you can probably get a discount if you're not working), got a certificate at the end, and it was the deciding factor in getting the job I have now. Also, register with as many temp agencies as possible, and if you like the people and places you temp in, let them know yo're looking for work. Networking is definitely the key. Generally, companies in the current climate are happier to take someone on as a short term contractor, or a temp, as it protects them a little if there's a downturn in work, but you can use that to your own advantage as well, use the contacts you make, work on the basis of 'if you don't ask, you don't get' - if you have kids, make sure you tell all the other Mums at pick up time that you're looking for work too. The more people that know, the better.

Good luck anyway, and if you've done Quickbooks, it's apparently really similar to MYOB so if you can get on a short MYOB course, you'll be laughing!

Diane

Guest guest30038
None of us are 'scaremongering', just stating 'facts'. Are you a female admin person Kev :confused:

Lyn

Lyn, I won't read any further as you seem to have the wrong end of the stick. My post regarding "scaremongering" was aimed at previous posts on other threads that inferred that the job situation was bad all over Oz and for all Pom migrants. I was simply making the point that there are jobs available in other areas, some more acessable than others. It was not intended to diminish the problems that those in "admin" may be experiencing.

kev

Lyn, I won't read any further as you seem to have the wrong end of the stick. My post regarding "scaremongering" was aimed at previous posts on other threads that inferred that the job situation was bad all over Oz and for all Pom migrants. I was simply making the point that there are jobs available in other areas, some more acessable than others. It was not intended to diminish the problems that those in "admin" may be experiencing.

kev

Fair enough, I totally agree that there is scaremongering on other threads :embarrassed: - they drive me mad . My OH is doing good in his trade (plumber) and whilst it is quiet, he has built up a really good reputation and with that, contacts (who are also incidentally keeping a look out /putting the word out for me). Even the pool guy has said he will listen out for us!

I for one would be more than interested in anything that I think I can do - be it admin, cleaning, hospital porter, whatever!

Lyn

Guest guest30038

I for one would be more than interested in anything that I think I can do - be it admin, cleaning, hospital porter, whatever!

Lyn

That's good.

One of the things that prompted me to post was that a PIO member who is qualified in learning support and was actually a team leader in the UK was experiencing similar problems.............couldn't even get a job at Coles or Woolies. I suggested a wardies job when we saw a vacancy online. She got the job along with another Pom and is now earning more than she did in the UK and is loving every minute of the work.

I know it's no consolation for those out of work.......things are slow, but things do happen...........one just has to have hope, and think outside the box.

kev

Guest Wes Mantooth
I think so long as you have the right attitude and keep plugging away you`ll be fine. It took me a long time to get my first job here (McDonalds even turned me down - they wanted young kids) but I was limited as to where I could apply for due to not driving. Just because some of us have had difficulty doesn`t mean you will - it doesn`t make our experiences any less valid, just means it`s something for you to be aware of and allows you to work out the different strategies you can use.

A friend of mine managed to get work with an agency within a couple of weeks of arriving, the company they placed her with eventually took her on permanent within a couple of months - so it just shows how it all differs from suburb to suburb and state to state and especially to each individual.

This thread has been an interesting read.. I had my first interview type thing today with Hays recruitment about a shipping/logistics job in Fremantle, which seemed to be going pretty well apart from the stupid drivers licence thing.. which, i hasten to add, WASNT on the ad in the paper. I re-assured the guy talking to me that as soon as I had a job, we would be moving out of Clarkson to somewhere central and learning to drive, but it seems that promising to be on time via train/bus doesn't cut it.

Generally speaking, a few more people are starting to get in touch since myself and my partner updated our CV's to Aussie standards using the CareerOne/Seek guides.. although it's annoying that 2-3 weeks worth of applying probably got binned because of our UK style resumes.

As I'm only 26, and my partner in 21, i thought we'd be ideal candidates for work as we've got no kids and are looking to begin proper careers after flicking between admin roles as the UK economy collapsed in on itself. But there seems to be no 'true' entry-level work around Perth, everyone needs to have a years experience in the exact feild the job is for, or that blasted MYOB thing. Our savings are plummetting and it's started to get more than a bit depressing, i just wish we knew what was going wrong, or not being said to make things happen.

:wacko:

Guest Wes Mantooth

Lyn

Oh, and even the cleaning jobs require cars and endless experience! i saw an ad for a 'junior trainee fruit handler' that needed a years previous experience. i mean, really!

I was beginning to think it was me!!! But from reading all these posts I realise I'm not the only one struggling to get my foot in the door. For a year now I've been applying for jobs. I could count on one hand how many replies I've had back and never EVER got to interview stage. I have oodles of customer service experience and I've been round all the stores with my resume and my name was put down with Coles/Woolies/Kmart/BigW etc ( all of those jobs that I could do with my eyes shut) and nothing, zip, nada. I haven't been too choosy either and have put my hand up for anything and everything but to no avail. It's hard going and we are just about getting by although it will be hard to find our school fees (public school, we are on a temp visa!) at the end of this year. I started applying this time last year in the hope of aquiring a Christmas job and I had no luck. I seriously hope it's not going to be the case again this year. Keeping my fingers crossed...........

• 4 weeks later...

Where abouts in Oz are you ladies we are moving to Perth in a few months and I have a background in office work and to be honest if my hubbie doesn't get a job straight away I thought that I could just fall back on office work and that getting a job in that field would be easy, bit worried now, jacs:unsure:

:idea: Thought might be idea to retrain in another field anyone got any ideas I've worked in retail catering and admin but a complete change would be nice are other fields of work as difficult to get into

I'm still looking for a job ladies and gents! I have had years of admin and retail experience etc, and just finished the financial certificate 3 course which was a challenge, but can't get my flip flop through the door.

I won't give up yet, but I called a shop today and he asked if I had experience in a small shop and I said no a department store, but I looked after my own part and assisted customers, but not good enough. I also noticed the years experience ads on cleaning, serving coffee etc and I'm considering most jobs at the moment.

Aghhhhhhh!

:mad:

I'm still looking for a job ladies and gents! I have had years of admin and retail experience etc, and just finished the financial certificate 3 course which was a challenge, but can't get my flip flop through the door.

I won't give up yet, but I called a shop today and he asked if I had experience in a small shop and I said no a department store, but I looked after my own part and assisted customers, but not good enough. I also noticed the years experience ads on cleaning, serving coffee etc and I'm considering most jobs at the moment.

Aghhhhhhh!

It's infuriating to the point of comical isn't it :twitcy:

I spent 6 hours rewriting my resume yesterday having bought a book telling me how to do it properly Aussie style - quite got into the flow of it, was amazed at how good it looked when I had finished - I thought 'geez is that really mine' LOL Whether it gets me anywhere is another thing though :wideeyed:

Lyn x

Guest tinibopper

hay there i'm in the same state as i worked for the NHS too in leeds for 3 years andit means nothing over here . . i'm at the moment going on a course at the mater hospital starts on the 10th Oct medical reception/secratery , practical teminology they say to get you job ready( as if we are not ) look up wesley health managment it will cost but all i do is spend at the mo so whats a little extra . . . and is nationally Accreditedand reconised Australia wide by the medical profession . . . i know deep in side we all repel from learning more as we know it all, but i cannot sit on my now getting ever so fat ass doing nothing i need to get out . . . hope it works out take care

Lyn, can't thank you enough for this thread....I think you have restored the sanIty of many admin ladies who thought it was just them!

I'm currently here on a Working Holiday Visa and have secured the second one too. My partner is a sparky and we're trying to look at visa options so we don't have to go home!!

I'm 21, worked in Admin for just over 3 yrs in the UK....same company so thought this would show loyalty etc. International company, thought this would carry weight over here, I undertook 3 NVQ's all of my own doing........not that any Aussie's know what they are.....or believe you when you tell them the equivalent! and NOTHING!

I think the fact that I'm on a WHV just adds to the problem as I'm probably viewed as a backpacker but even when I tell them I'm in rented accommodation with a 6month lease, no one is interested! I mean I'm applying for 1-2weeks AL cover!!

Again, I've had very similar experiences to the other posters, most jobs advertised either require your own transport or MYOB experience, not to mention the years of experience for a junior role!! Very frustrating to say the least.

I'm pretty much based in the CBD but can't get anything, have also applied for cleaning jobs, coffee shop jobs, Coles, Wooolies, Big W etc etc. Can't afford to do any courses at the moment as my partner's wages is barely covering food and rent........and that's the other issue with him being a sparky and needing a licence over here!! Arghhhh!! :mad: It's driving me up the wall, especially when I have to deal with incompetent admin' workers at the recruitment agencies who's job I could do properly!!!!!

The only glimmer of hope I have at the moment is having been invited back for a David Jones group interview for a Christmas Casual position, but that doesn't start until November, should I be successful and money is quickly running out!

It's a very frustrating and dejecting situation but it's nice to know I'm not alone!

OK, rant over!! :arghh:

Good luck to everyone on the job hunt !!

Just wanted to add my pennies worth too - I too am looking for a job at the moment, and I thought it was me noticing about the MYOB that basic admin roles seem to require here, yesterday I applied for the PD of a vacancy only to be told that I needed MYOB experience !!

I have looked at doing a course and they are rather expensive ! have to start saving, yet I've been doing this kind of role now for about 10 years ?

Guest Prickles83

I'm hopefully moving over in December and have years of customer service experience- is there anything that I can do to help myself before I move over? Any suggestions to be prepared would be great!

Archived