Tip for all the ladies who work in Admin

Lynandsean

I thought I would add a new thread on here in the hope that it would help any ladies (or gents!) that work in admin in the UK and plan to do it in Oz, mainly because it seems that quite a few of us are struggling to get into this work once here - forewarned is forearmed as they say! In another thread jokingly discussing this, a website has been added which is offering training geared towards working in Oz - worth a look I would think!

The link is http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/general-dilemmas/40452-given-up-applying-admin-jobs-anyone-need-cleaner-mount-martha.html

There are plenty of vacancies on all the websites (Seek, CareerOne etc) and the local papers but what I have found in the area I live (Gold Coast) is that most of the vacancies for administrative positions require you to have experience in 'MYOB' (short I think for MindYourOwnBusiness) which for those that don't know, is a software package used for book-keeping/accounting etc similar to Sage and Quickbooks. The latter 2 are used here but MYOB is clearly the favourite/most popular.

This has caught me out because I would naturally have expected book-keeping type positions to expect experience in this type of package but not general admin. They almost always expect you to have a certificate to show for it too and preferably also in Microsoft Office - Word/Powerpoint/Excel etc!

I am self taught in Quickbooks (although I hate book-keeping but needs must sometimes LOL) and Word/Powerpoint etc (used it for donkeys years), familiar with Sage along with 25+ years of experience in general admin/secretarial stuff but am having no luck so far despite altering my CV/Resume to suit the aussie market (I had hoped LOL). Guess it's also a case of employers wanting aussie experience but you can't get the experience without a job :twitcy: Never mind, will just have to continue wallowing in the lovely sunny winters days here hehe!

Lyn x

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post Lyn:notworthy:.

I wasn't looking to be working when we got here as the kids are still very young (5, 3 and 21 months), but it's so much more expensive than we initially thought, I could do with doing really! The fact I can't get so much as an interview for an admin job really has taken me by surprise.

I have no accounting/book-keeping skills, so am not "qualified" for basic admin jobs it seems. Back to school for me maybe!:skeptical:.

Jo x

Guest Brendan/Mandy

Hi Lyn,

I have found this to when applying for a job here, MYOB seems to be stated in most jobs, I sure its not a hard package to pick up once your in the office & shown, but there simply not intrested in teaching you. There is courses that teach you this but its time & money, i have started a cleaning job at the moment & its better money than any office work so im happy 4 now, its keeping me fit too!!!

Mandy

Hi Lyn,

I have found this to when applying for a job here, MYOB seems to be stated in most jobs, I sure its not a hard package to pick up once your in the office & shown, but there simply not intrested in teaching you. There is courses that teach you this but its time & money, i have started a cleaning job at the moment & its better money than any office work so im happy 4 now, its keeping me fit too!!!

Hi Mandy,

I think the same as you about being able to pick up MYOB once in the office etc.

Cleaning is better pay than office, wow! will have a look in paper etc this weekend for jobs in that case! Are the hours generally early mornings coz that would actually suit me really well as I have to be up to get my son and OH out the door very VERY early and am then a bit bored!

Lyn x

Guest mandisfam

Interesting thread. Personally, I never had problem finding temp work in Melbourne. Going back to 2001 though. Would temping not be a way in, at least it would gain you some aussie work experience which would look good on your CV.

Good Luck

Mandisfam

Interesting thread. Personally, I never had problem finding temp work in Melbourne. Going back to 2001 though. Would temping not be a way in, at least it would gain you some aussie work experience which would look good on your CV.

Good Luck

Mandisfam

Am registered with a temp agency, where I was interviewed and we discussed my CV, residency, plans etc and I said how settled we were and our committment to Oz with the promise of 'we'll be in touch when we have a vacancy' and that's about it, heard nothing more despite a chase up a couple of weeks ago. :sad:

Lyn

Hi Lyn,

Hows things??? Have you thought of maybe more reception work with a view to moving more into office once you get foot in the door?? Casual wages quite good for this and I get paid $22 per hour but thats weekend rates.

Worth a thought.

Em x

Hi Lyn,

Hows things??? Have you thought of maybe more reception work with a view to moving more into office once you get foot in the door?? Casual wages quite good for this and I get paid $22 per hour but thats weekend rates.

Worth a thought.

Em x

Hi Em! all good ta, but would be 'topped off' if I could get a job. I have applied for all types so far to get 'foot in door' and don't mind what I do, guess something will come up in time. It's not a problem but niavely (perhaps it's coz I can't spell LOL) thought it wouldn't be a problem doh!! :swoon:

Jo - same problem, can't even get as far as an interview, if I could get that far I reckon I could convince them to take me on!!!

Sue - Thank you, I just wanted to let the ladies (and gents maybe?!?) that although there seem to be plenty of jobs on the websites like seek, careerone and the local papers it's not as straightforward for us as might be expected. We all tend to discuss on here whether the main applicant/earner will get a job once here but haven't really chatted much about us office peeps assuming I guess, that it wouldn't be a problem.

As I have mentioned, I don't really mind being a lady of leisure, enjoying cups of coffee in the sun etc :biglaugh:

Lyn xxx

Hi Lyn and all of you who responded to her thread. I was so relieved to see what you had all had to say, as I thought I was going mad!

I too have had years of experience in admin, recently worked three years doing admin in employment law, worked in local government as a PA for nine years, and was a secretary in the NHS, and have never had a problem finding work in the UK. Neither did I consider it would be a problem here in Oz.

We arrived in Brisbane on 30 May and after initially going to Hervey Bay signed up for 6 months rented accommodation on the Sunshine Coast. We now have broadband, and while OH is at work (he got the first job he applied for as a Painter and is doing so well) I trawl through all the websites for admin jobs, and have applied for numerous jobs, in some cases spending hours ensuring that my application meets the selection criteria, as I always thought that if you did so you were automatically shortlisted. Not so, they don't even respond!

I have registered with three recruitment agencies for temp jobs, and only one of them gave me the usual tests that you would expect. I did fairly well with Excel and Word and got 60wpm typing with 100% accuracy. The young woman who interviewed me yawned throughout the process. :SLEEP:She asked me to contact her on a monthly basis (as we have so many applicants) to let her know my current situation.

I also registered online with Coles and Woolworths, however one of OH's workmates has told him that his girlfriend has just got a job at Coles after being registered with them for 12 months.

I did get called to one interview. It was a non-profit-making healthcare organisation, and I thought it was right up my street. There had been two jobs - one Admin Asst (Perm), one PA (Temp), so I applied for both. I got a letter saying I wasn't successful for the Admin one (so many highly qualified applicants), and a phone call inviting me to interview for the PA job. It took me over two hours to get there, a bus, and then two trains. (Had I been given the job I would have had to get a car and could have driven there in 45 mins.) Still no tests, just the interview, 'we expect to make a decision by Friday', however on the following Monday I got a call from a young woman who said 'Michelle in HR asked me to ring you to advise that your interview was unsuccessful'.

That is another thing, most of the office jobs advertised state 'must have own car', that is such a cheek. It is an office job for Pete's sake! The last job I applied for I decided to attach the glowing reference I got from the advocate I worked for in the UK before I left, however I think that probably went against me as she put 'has a wonderful sense of humour', which I might add has rapidly gone underground!!!

I too thought I would try for a cleaning job but suddenly there doesn't seem to be many of those either - is it all you Brits taking them up?!! The best qualified cleaners in Oz!!

Guest diesellisle

Thanks for a very interesting thread, Lynn. Have to admit I am a little worried now about my prospects of getting an admin job once we get to Oz:arghh: At the moment, I work part-time in a firm dealing with family law but before that I was a civil servant for five years. Like a lot of the other ladies, I have looked on the 'Seek' website and thought that it would be relatively easy to get a job as there are so many advertised. I use all the usual microsoft programs on a daily basis and my typing speed is pretty good too.

I think my plan B will have to be to try and get a job as a healthcare assistant, I have done this before and did really enjoy it. Then time to start working on plan C, methinks.

Keep us updated as to how you are all doing on the jobs front, girls! Keeping my fingers crossed that you will all find what you are looking for soon.

Take care,

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd just update this thread although some of you may have spotted my news on another thread!

I have been offered a job!!!:spinny: ............

Didn't send a CV, didn't have an interview (well not formal one anyway).

Was speaking to our present rental agent about my struggles to find a job. She said that the lady they have working there at the present - who is a lovely aussie of mature ish age hadn't been able to get a full time job in 6 months. Main reason seemed to be that most people wanted a younger person whom they could train in their ways and probably pay less (their words, not mine). This lady is working with them part time which is all they require until she finds a full time job. She has now been lucky to find one in Brisbane, doesn't fancy the commute but she is a single parent and needs must so she is taking it.

So our agent asked me if I would like to replace her!!!!!! :jiggy:Of course I said Yes.

Start date to be confirmed which is fine by me as we are moving into a new rental next week - with a different agent so no potential conflicts!

Lyn x

Guest The Pom Queen

Thats great news Lyn, good luck in your new job. I have found in Oz it's not what you know but who you know, but then I think that's the same in the UK also.

Guest dolphinallie

I must admit, the last time I worked in an office was about 12 years ago (my eldest child is 10), afterthat I decided o work closer to home and work in the field of Building Computers (last time worked there was 1998 and on Maternity leave). I have trained in computing and my husband is also a quilified butcher (supervisor) who unfortunetly didn't go to college to get his "papers" when he finished school at 16 and started his exprentiship as he prefered hands on experience, and his employer was fine with that at the time (he is now 37). How do we go about getting a job now!! We would LOVE to come to Oz for the benefit of our health and also the children. We have family, but we never kept in touch and don't know where they are or if/who they are married to.(ARCHDEACON/LENNON/MACDADE). Can anyone advise please.

Guest dolphinallie
Thought I'd just update this thread although some of you may have spotted my news on another thread!

I have been offered a job!!!:spinny: ............

Didn't send a CV, didn't have an interview (well not formal one anyway).

Was speaking to our present rental agent about my struggles to find a job. She said that the lady they have working there at the present - who is a lovely aussie of mature ish age hadn't been able to get a full time job in 6 months. Main reason seemed to be that most people wanted a younger person whom they could train in their ways and probably pay less (their words, not mine). This lady is working with them part time which is all they require until she finds a full time job. She has now been lucky to find one in Brisbane, doesn't fancy the commute but she is a single parent and needs must so she is taking it.

So our agent asked me if I would like to replace her!!!!!! :jiggy:Of course I said Yes.

Start date to be confirmed which is fine by me as we are moving into a new rental next week - with a different agent so no potential conflicts!

Lyn x

Well done Lyn. All the best for the future. Hopefully my family and I will be in Oz in the not to distant future. (Been thinking about it for the past 4 years, only thing is money!!, never mind we'll get there as I have now stopped smoking and saving more money, so get there eventually lol) xxx Allie

I must admit, the last time I worked in an office was about 12 years ago (my eldest child is 10), afterthat I decided o work closer to home and work in the field of Building Computers (last time worked there was 1998 and on Maternity leave). I have trained in computing and my husband is also a quilified butcher (supervisor) who unfortunetly didn't go to college to get his "papers" when he finished school at 16 and started his exprentiship as he prefered hands on experience, and his employer was fine with that at the time (he is now 37). How do we go about getting a job now!! We would LOVE to come to Oz for the benefit of our health and also the children. We have family, but we never kept in touch and don't know where they are or if/who they are married to.(ARCHDEACON/LENNON/MACDADE). Can anyone advise please.

Hi Dolphinallie,

You need to speak to an Agent to see what your chances of getting a visa are. Most Agents will give you a free assessment and chat, over the phone or online. Ian Harrop, Go Matilda, Visa Bureau all have good reputations on here, and if theres anything you're not sure of just ask the PIO members, there's loads of us waiting and willing to help!

Cheers

Guest dolphinallie

Hi Sam & Si.

Thanks for the contacts you've mentioned, we'll get on to one of them asap. We have used "Australian Skilled Visa Eligability and got a reply as follow (what do you think ?????)

ME_australia_email_top_badged.jpg

Client ID: AU-4847930

Dear Mark,

You have completed the Australian Visa Eligibility Assessment for skilled migration to Australia. We are pleased to provide you with an update of your profile, based on the information you provided.

Migration Expert's services are specifically tailored to assist you in migrating to Australia. Our registered Migration Consultants are ready and willing to provide you with valuable migration advice, which will allow you to enjoy the exciteme & vbCrLfnt of migrating to another country.

To Begin the Visa Application Process

1. Login to the Client Area using your email address and password; and

2. Take the next step!

Your Profile

Your score of 125 points meets the current pass mark ( 110 points) applicable to the Skilled Regional Sponsored (State/Territory) visa.

Below is a description of each of the areas in which you may be able to claim points for your Skilled Regional Sponsored (State/Territory) application.

Occupation

You selected Butcher as your nominated occupation. Upon obtaining a positive skills assessment from the relevant authority, you will be able to claim 60 occupation points.

CriteriaYour AnswerPointsOccupationButcher60MODL Bonus PointsNot Applicable0Work Experience

CriteriaYour AnswerPointsSpecific Work Experience3 out of the last 4 years10You also indicated that you have been working in your occupation for 3 out of the last 4 years. Upon providing appropriate evidence of your specific work experience, you may be able to claim 10 additional points.

CriteriaYour AnswerPointsAgeFrom 35 to 3920According to your profile, you are 37. You will be able to claim 20 points for age if you lodge your application before your 40th birthday.

English Language Skills

A minimum level of English is required to be eligible for a Skilled visa and to obtain points based on your level of English language skills.

CriteriaYour AnswerPointsEnglish LanguageProficient English25You selected Proficient English as your level of competency. In order to obtain 25 points for English language, you will need to demonstrate this competency by successfully completing a DIAC approved English language test.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact Migration Expert and our friendly staff will be more than happy to help. You can find contact details for our global offices below.

Kind regards,

Client Services

ME_australia_email_div.gif

Migration Expert - Australia

329 Queensberry Street

North Melbourne Victoria 3051

Australia

Tel: +61 (0)3 9320 5999

Tel: +61 (0)3 9095 7799 Migration Expert - Canada

20 Eglinton Ave. West, Suite 1401

Toronto, Ontario, M4R 1K8

Canada

Tel: +1 416 488 9500 Migration Expert - UK

4th Floor, 153-155 Regent Street

Mayfair, London W1B 4JE

United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)207 494 6464

Hi Sam & Si.

Thanks for the contacts you've mentioned, we'll get on to one of them asap. We have used "Australian Skilled Visa Eligability and got a reply as follow (what do you think ?????)

ME_australia_email_top_badged.jpg

Client ID: AU-4847930

Dear Mark,

You have completed the Australian Visa Eligibility Assessment for skilled migration to Australia. We are pleased to provide you with an update of your profile, based on the information you provided.

Migration Expert's services are specifically tailored to assist you in migrating to Australia. Our registered Migration Consultants are ready and willing to provide you with valuable migration advice, which will allow you to enjoy the exciteme & vbCrLfnt of migrating to another country.

To Begin the Visa Application Process

1. Login to the Client Area using your email address and password; and

2. Take the next step!

Your Profile

Your score of 125 points meets the current pass mark ( 110 points) applicable to the Skilled Regional Sponsored (State/Territory) visa.

Below is a description of each of the areas in which you may be able to claim points for your Skilled Regional Sponsored (State/Territory) application.

Occupation

You selected Butcher as your nominated occupation. Upon obtaining a positive skills assessment from the relevant authority, you will be able to claim 60 occupation points.

CriteriaYour AnswerPointsOccupationButcher60MODL Bonus PointsNot Applicable0Work Experience

CriteriaYour AnswerPointsSpecific Work Experience3 out of the last 4 years10You also indicated that you have been working in your occupation for 3 out of the last 4 years. Upon providing appropriate evidence of your specific work experience, you may be able to claim 10 additional points.

CriteriaYour AnswerPointsAgeFrom 35 to 3920According to your profile, you are 37. You will be able to claim 20 points for age if you lodge your application before your 40th birthday.

English Language Skills

A minimum level of English is required to be eligible for a Skilled visa and to obtain points based on your level of English language skills.

CriteriaYour AnswerPointsEnglish LanguageProficient English25You selected Proficient English as your level of competency. In order to obtain 25 points for English language, you will need to demonstrate this competency by successfully completing a DIAC approved English language test.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact Migration Expert and our friendly staff will be more than happy to help. You can find contact details for our global offices below.

Kind regards,

Client Services

ME_australia_email_div.gif

Migration Expert - Australia

329 Queensberry Street

North Melbourne Victoria 3051

Australia

Tel: +61 (0)3 9320 5999

Tel: +61 (0)3 9095 7799 Migration Expert - Canada

20 Eglinton Ave. West, Suite 1401

Toronto, Ontario, M4R 1K8

Canada

Tel: +1 416 488 9500 Migration Expert - UK

4th Floor, 153-155 Regent Street

Mayfair, London W1B 4JE

United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)207 494 6464

Hi Allie,

I'll pm you so check your message in a minute...

x

i love that you have to take a test to prove you can speak engligh properly. LOL do you think A level english literature woudl qualify me?

• 11 months later...
Guest Annabe

This is a very useful bit of info; I am a secretary (job-seeking!) in the UK thinking about joining my son who is a Permanent Resident in Brisbane; but I would need to work once there. Finding nitty-gritty info on this stuff is like gold dust, so very useful input, thanks

As this thread has been resurrected, I thought I'd update my situation.

The casual job I finally got lasted on 1 1/2 days spaced several weeks apart!!! I noticed a few months later that they had closed down.

A couple of months back, I finally got an actual interview for another job in a furniture store.

Guy said ''we will be shortlisting back end of next week, will give you a call if successful'', before I'd even got home I received a call saying I had the job!. This was on a Monday, we agreed I would start on the Thursday with training etc. On the Weds afternoon I got a call 'postponing' it. Week passed, I called and was basically fobbed off, tried again the following week in case the person who spoke to me before didn't know what the score was and was told someone would call me back. Following week the job was re-advertised! Maybe I should have called again but at this point I thought 'why the hell would I want to work for them with this attitude'. They were a chinese owned company and I later found out that the other person taken on was chinese although the man that interviewed me was english so I have a gut feeling he wanted me there but they didn't :sad:

Have been told by several people and on good authority that there are around 200 applications for each admin job on the coast at the moment and given that I have zero experience in working in Australia I am not going to be top of the pile. It's a pain but at least the OH's work is still going reasonably well.

Good luck and if their's any new tips/help etc out there, am sure we could all do with it!

Lyn

Guest guest30038

Medical: Useful Links

https://smartjobs.qld.gov.au/jobtools/jncustomsearch.viewFullSingle?in_organid=14904&in_jnCounter=221284537&in_version=&in_jobDate=All&in_jobType=&in_residency=&in_graphic=&in_param=&in_searchbox=YES&in_recruiter=&in_jobreference=QLD%2FH09RD07548&in_orderby=&in_sessionid=&in_navigation1=&in_summary=S

Several hospitals are expanding in the Brizzy area and admin and operational jobs (wardies aka porters) are likely to come online soon. i know, wardies are far removed from admin but if needs must. I know several poms who have recently joined Qld health in this capacity and they are fully enjoying their job, despite being qualified in admin.........once your foot is in the door you are more likely to have access to receptionist and admin vacancies that occur internally.

just a thought

kev

Guest snow white

hi lyn

sorry to hear your news on the very distant job front i know exactly how you feel its definitely a case of not what you know but who you know to help you find a job even though like you have mentioned you have the experience from the uk it means not a lot here

fingers crossed that you find something soon

all the best

lesley x

Medical: Useful Links

https://smartjobs.qld.gov.au/jobtools/jncustomsearch.viewFullSingle?in_organid=14904&in_jnCounter=221284537&in_version=&in_jobDate=All&in_jobType=&in_residency=&in_graphic=&in_param=&in_searchbox=YES&in_recruiter=&in_jobreference=QLD%2FH09RD07548&in_orderby=&in_sessionid=&in_navigation1=&in_summary=S

Several hospitals are expanding in the Brizzy area and admin and operational jobs (wardies aka porters) are likely to come online soon. i know, wardies are far removed from admin but if needs must. I know several poms who have recently joined Qld health in this capacity and they are fully enjoying their job, despite being qualified in admin.........once your foot is in the door you are more likely to have access to receptionist and admin vacancies that occur internally.

just a thought

kev

Thanks Kev, will keep a look out. I am not that fussed about admin and wouldn't mind a change so will scour the site!

Lyn

Archived