Primary school teachers in QLD/Brisbane

LaLa

Hi

Is anyone a Primary School Teacher in Brisbane or QLD? From what I've heard it sounds very competitive.... I am worried that I wont be able to find work as a teacher:unsure:. Please could you tell me about your experiences of job hunting and getting a job?

I am emigrating to Brisbane in October. I am a qualified Primary school teacher I have a degree in Business I.T (three years course) and a PGCE (one year course) but only two years experience.

Thanks

Not in Brisbane but in general in Australia there are plenty of primary school teachers and the competition can be fierce for the more desirable areas. If you are prepared to work in places where there are more problem kids or further out of the CBD away from the coast then you may have more luck. What you will have going for you is that you dont have many years experience so you will be cheaper to employ than someone who has been doing it since Noah was a lad. Not sure about Queensland but some states have a policy where in state education, you basically have to do your hardship posting before they will consider you for a "plum" position.

What you do need to do is to bolster your cv with some sort of marketable specialization - like special ed, behaviour management, music etc and look at what extra curricular contribtion you can make. Also be prepared to look at non government school positions - the Catholic system is very strong here.

If you persevere and are prepared to maybe go where others dont want to go then you should be OK.

hi there

i am also a primary teacher living in brisbane. I have been told that in order to teach you need to have all your skills registered here in Australia. I am not sure if you could start the ball rolling in the uk beforehand (if your visa has come through) as it can take 2 to 3 months to get this done before you can teach. The website is:

www.qct.edu.au

You could either call or ask them. i know it involves having certified copies for all your degrees, transcripts. if you have lost transcripts your uni can send them to you.

Unfortunately i have been crap and havent got round to it all this end as i am lucky and my partner is working. the cost of child care for our 2 kids means i would actually be worse off as i would still be paying child care in the hols as i only want to do supply.

Another thing i heard that for QLD state teachers, if you are flexible to go wherever the education authority needs teachers you will get work a lot faster. this can often mean going to places further inland or away from the cities. Some teachers overcame this by working at private schools. here they are not as prestigious as in the uk and even though a lot of them are catholic/church schools, unlike the uk, you dont have to be religious to work there.

Good luck with it all

Wheezie

Thanks for your replies!:v_SPIN:

I got my visa yesterday so I am going to send my documents to QCT this month. I am going to Brisbane in October and was hoping to teacher at the start of Term 1. I think I may have left it a bit late for that as I probably wont get registered in time.

I am looking to live around the Redlands area so I could teach about an hour away from there.

Could anyone tell me the best place to look for teaching job? I have looked on mycareer, seek and teachersnet.com. Would it be worth going through an agency such as smart or protocol? I was thinking of sending my CV to all schools near by but I don't know if that would be worthwhile.

Thanks for your replies!:v_SPIN:

I got my visa yesterday so I am going to send my documents to QCT this month. I am going to Brisbane in October and was hoping to teacher at the start of Term 1. I think I may have left it a bit late for that as I probably wont get registered in time.

I am looking to live around the Redlands area so I could teach about an hour away from there.

Could anyone tell me the best place to look for teaching job? I have looked on mycareer, seek and teachersnet.com. Would it be worth going through an agency such as smart or protocol? I was thinking of sending my CV to all schools near by but I don't know if that would be worthwhile.

You could start here Careers & vacancies home page

They will be advertising for 2009 in about September I should think.

• 10 months later...
Guest debbiehenry

Hi,

I am in the exact same position as you. I will be moving in Oct too. I have the working holiday visa and I am now going through the process of reg with the council and my disclosure. I am worried however about the competition and wonder if the credit crunch is as bad as the UK. At the moment I am teaching in Spain and feel its a big gamble to leave a secure job and lovely way of life to go to the unknown!!

But I am applying directly to schools, but have been told that I will not be successful until I go and meet the schools face to face.

Keep me posted on how you are getting on

Debs

:spinny:Hi,

I moved to Brisbane in Oct 2008. I didn't get my teacher registration number until January 09. It takes a little while to process all your documents. I would advise you to get your registration as soon as you can as employers don’t really want to know if you don’t have one. I was put on a provisional registration which means I have to work for a year before I can gain a full registration.

I found it hard to find a job in Brisbane so I decided to look further a field. I ended up getting a job in a private school in the Sunshine Coast.

If you want to work in a state school you have to complete a form and they will find you a job in that area (if there are any vacancies). Private schools normally advertise on-line or in local newspapers. You could make a list of schools in the area you want to teach in and send them a cover letter and your CV. The best time to start looking would be end September onwards as the school year begins in January.

I used these sites to look for work:

www.teachers.on.net

www.seek.com.au

I hope this helps. If you need to know any more info just let me know.

LaLa

Guest debbiehenry

Hi lala

thankyou for your advice :)

I am getting my documents for the teacher reg just now so hopefully it will be cleared by Jan .

how long did you have to wait until you got your 1st teaching job?

Do you know if there would be any vacancies at your school next year?

I dont mind making the move elsewhere as long as I find employment.

thanks

Debs

Archived