Any electricians out there that can help PLEASE

Guest lisaandnick

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi Arthur

i will do that, i've never had to do a cv so will probably get it wrong.

do i still have to apply as i've got the licence, i thought that was it ??

this really is a mine field, thanks for all your advise you've been invaluable.

thanks

Paul

hi Arthur

i will do that, i've never had to do a cv so will probably get it wrong.

do i still have to apply as i've got the licence, i thought that was it ??

this really is a mine field, thanks for all your advise you've been invaluable.

thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

Can I ask what licence you have exactly as VETASSESS do not issue licences of any sort.

Regards Derren

hi Deren

i have been issued with an OTSR restricted licence which allows me to work once i arrive in oz

and i have to bridge this by doing the australian wiring rules and regulations to get an unrestricted licence.

is this enough or do i still have to apply to the TRA as i was told i dont need to.

confused,

Paul

hi Deren

i have been issued with an OTSR restricted licence which allows me to work once i arrive in oz

and i have to bridge this by doing the australian wiring rules and regulations to get an unrestricted licence.

is this enough or do i still have to apply to the TRA as i was told i dont need to.

confused,

Paul

Hi Paul,

The OTSR itself is NOT a restricted licence. The only bodies that can issue electrical licences of any sort are the relevant State Government Licencing Authorities.

The OTSR allows you to apply for a permit to train and undertake gap training ie. attending a TAFE (college) to do the relevant courses and gain on the job experience.

Which State are you intending to move to?

Regards Derren

H Derren

Im looking to move gto Perth.

Looks like im going to have to start applying to the TRA a bit sharpish.

The info i have received has been so confusing.

Thanks again

Paul

Hi Paul,

Up until about a week or two ago all you had to do if you wanted to get a full licence, ,was to attend a 2 week course in Perth and upon successful completion you could apply for a full WA A grade licence. This was true for both holders of an OTSR and ARTC which is issued by the TRA.

However, Energy Safety, who are the WA Govt''s branch for electrical licencing , changed the rules. They now require that holders of an OTSR complete 12 months of gap training alongside attending college to do the relevant courses.

The situation for holders of an ARTC remain unclear but it is rumoured that they would only require 3 months of on the job gap training and complete the aforementioned 2 week course. Hopefully it will become clearer in the coming weeks.

What some sparks do is apply for an ARTC and then go to Adelaide to the the PEER course (a wiring regs course). you can do this by correspondence course in the UK and then go to Adelaide and do the 4/5 day revision/exam or do the whole course in Adelaide over 7/8 days. After you complete that you could apply for an SA licence with no 'on the job' gap training.

Under the terms of mutual recognition you should be able to apply for another State licence ie apply for a WA licence with your SA licence and also you could work in WA with an SA licence.

However, Some states such as QLD and VIC are refusing to issue licences to SA licences holders who have gone down the PEER route.

WA will refuse to issue a licence if you have been graded as an Electrical Fitter (basically a maintenance spark) but should issue a licence if you were graded as an Electrical mechanic (an installation spark) by the TRA.

Regards Derren

Hi Derren

Thanks for your info, Arthur (no1spark) is sending me a load of info on how to go about this.

i'll let you know the outcome mate, and if you could keep me informed of anything else i would really appreciate it.

Again thanks mate

Regards Paul

Hi Derren

Thanks for your info, Arthur (no1spark) is sending me a load of info on how to go about this.

i'll let you know the outcome mate, and if you could keep me informed of anything else i would really appreciate it.

Again thanks mate

Regards Paul

Hi Paul,

If you want a bit more info then read the following links as they will probably be the first to show what the changes actually are.

LINK 1

LINK 2

All the best

Regards Derren

• 2 months later...

if you intend to go to PEER in SA i can assure you now there is noway all other states shall recognise the SA license its as simple as that. they are supposed to do so but they all refuse on OH&S, if your living in SA & you have the VET, or TRA or OTSR then you can go to PEER & do there new 5 x day course & then apply for the SA license if you try to transfer that license to any other state you shall be refused by that state.??? not good new i know but don't waist your money 1st phone PEER in SA ask for Kate she knows what the score is & she is very switched on.

its true you can do the distance course from the UK for PEER then do there exams when you arrive but that's no good if the other states wont give you the license.

In WA you can do there 1 week course its full on but if you intend to live in Perth then its worth doing. i would recommend you all contact the Tafe (Local College) in the state your going to live & email them explaining your migrating from the UK & have to do the top up course at a local tafe then when you pass that you can apply for the state exams. remember the courses get very full quickly so you may be waiting for months to get into a course plan ahead & enrol for the courses so when you get here you can get into the course & get it all sorted out then you sit the main exams for the unrestricted electrical license & when you have passed that you can start to work as a electrician.

then if you intend to work for yourself, you must then do another course the REC (Electrical Contractors Course) if you don't have this license & you want to work for yourself your not allowed by law to make a profit without this license: if your intending to work for a company then all you require is the unrestricted electrical license, but that can be a task getting it all sorted the exams are all full on so make sure you get your heads back into the books. enquire at the Tafe's for information they are all decent people who can provide you with plenty of info before you get here. At the end of the day if your organised the less time your out of work the better, or you may have to look at other work until you get the required licenses.

regards

Arthur in Melbourne

Derren, you correct mate when you say the OTSR is NOT a license at all, in fact people may now find that energy safe wont issue with a restricted electrical license to perform standard electrical work, the restricted license is for people doing things like disconnect & reconnect & also some Air Con maint people & that's about it these days, people who used to hold the restricted electrical license for years that's all changed, you must have a valid reason for this type of license & energy safe wont reissue a restricted license on an ongoing basis. they force you to either do the required exams or look at another field for employment & i suppose that's fair enough.

Atrhur

• 7 months later...

There is NO PlC testing at all on the A class license, its a mix of hands on installation & testing + visual fault findings + theory test + disconnect & reconnect of an appliance im now referencing to Victoria.

it's been very helpful. Arther.

Here is a question:Did they do any PLC test?

Just finished the Etl course and it is very easy, you can't fail. The restricted licence gives you permission to sit the course and not much else other than ta work. Send your otsr or vet assess certificates to energy safe to get the restricted licence and book the course ASAP because it's pretty well booked up till December at the moment. After you pass, it cAn take up to 8 weeks to get your a class licence from energy safe rap are not very helpfully

• 2 months later...

guys i have been offered the opportunity to enrol on an otsr course here in ireland before i go to Australia what i need to know is should i do the course or should i wait and get my atrc when i get over ? from what ive been told the otsr will allow me to work on a provisional licence and all id have to do is sit the exams in what ever state i go to and then apply for my licence is that correct or am i been misled thanks for any help

Irish,

Not that straight forward mate, you can apply for the OTSR & get the restricted license when you here NOT before. then as you say you can then apply to the TRA for a certificate recognising your skills again you shall only get the restricted license either way if you go via OTSR or TRA. depending on the state you intend to live in the courses for the full unrestricted electrical license can take about 18 months as i say depending on the state your going to live in.

I know in WA some of the Tafe's (Colleges) run a 5 day full on course but getting on the courses is a massive problem they are full all the time so you may need to contact the Tafe's in the state your going to reside in well before you get here. The red tape is horrific i can tell you now & it seems that Victoria has become the hardest state to obtain the full license a number of theory & prac exams the fail rate is very high.

however nearly all tafe's run a pre- state required electrical course that shows the Australian system & regulations (Wiring Rules) without doing this pre course of about 12 weeks x 1 night per week (Vic) i don't think people have a cat in hells chance of passing the state electrical exams.

may i ask what state do you intend to reside in.

guys i have been offered the opportunity to enrol on an otsr course here in ireland before i go to Australia what i need to know is should i do the course or should i wait and get my atrc when i get over ? from what ive been told the otsr will allow me to work on a provisional licence and all id have to do is sit the exams in what ever state i go to and then apply for my licence is that correct or am i been misled thanks for any help

Irish,Not that straight forward mate, you can apply for the OTSR & get the restricted license when you here NOT before. then as you say you can then apply to the TRA for a certificate recognising your skills again you shall only get the restricted license either way if you go via OTSR or TRA. depending on the state you intend to live in the courses for the full unrestricted electrical license can take about 18 months as i say depending on the state your going to live in.I know in WA some of the Tafe's (Colleges) run a 5 day full on course but getting on the courses is a massive problem they are full all the time so you may need to contact the Tafe's in the state your going to reside in well before you get here. The red tape is horrific i can tell you now & it seems that Victoria has become the hardest state to obtain the full license a number of theory & prac exams the fail rate is very high.however nearly all tafe's run a pre- state required electrical course that shows the Australian system & regulations (Wiring Rules) without doing this pre course of about 12 weeks x 1 night per week (Vic) i don't think people have a cat in hells chance of passing the state electrical exams.may i ask what state do you intend to reside in.
Thanks for the info I'mnot 100% yet but it will either be wa or Sa is it no longer possible to go down the Sa route of getting the the arts and doing the wiring regs course and then your able to apply for the licience ? This was info given to me by a friend of mine who went down this route and has been working as a A licience spark for the last number of months

Not any more mate going to SA then transfering to another state, again doing it that way you would only get the restricted license, unless you intend to reside in SA thats then a different ball game they do a 7 day full on course after you p-ass you go to energy safe SA fill in the forms show them the paperwork you have just passed from PEER SA & two weeks later you have the full license. BUT you wont be able to transfer to another state.

• 1 year later...

Hello ladies and gents can any one help in currently in the process to send an application to Vetassess to get my electrical qualifications recognised and I am really struggling to get the references from my uk previous employers . Can any one send any references they have sent so I kind of get a few samples of exactly what I'm going to need .

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you :)

• 1 month later...
Hello ladies and gents can any one help in currently in the process to send an application to Vetassess to get my electrical qualifications recognised and I am really struggling to get the references from my uk previous employers . Can any one send any references they have sent so I kind of get a few samples of exactly what I'm going to need .

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you :)

Hi Aldin

Do you still need some help with references?? Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I've been using this site a lot to help me get my head around all the requirements to get 190 visa but i cant find anything on wether I qualify as an electrician as I trained as a marine electrician, City & Guilds 2451 level 3 and NVQ Installation and Commissioning level 3... I would like to think I do but I don't want to apply for skill assessments etc. just to find out I need to re-skill as a domestic sparky! My migration couldn't tell me and I don't know who else would know maybe TRA or VETASSESS? Anyone know or experienced anything to do with this?

Hoping someone has some answers!

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi I'm new to the forum and was after some advice if possible.

I have literally just become qualified as an electrician. we had originally planned to use this to emigrate but now we can get in more easily on my wife's application. We are looking to get there in roughly 2 years from now and are moving to Adelaide SA (all being week) Unfortunately as I am now 37 I did not sit an apprenticeship and so when we move although I have jib gold card And am a full spark I will only have 2 years actual experience on the tools by the time we get there. Do You think this will be a problem with me getting an OTSR assesment and ultimately working as a spark? I'm concerned that they are going to make me start from scratch as I haven't served a 4 year apprenticeship. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as my ability to work out there will decide whether we go or not.

thanks

Hi I'm new to the forum and was after some advice if possible.

I have literally just become qualified as an electrician. we had originally planned to use this to emigrate but now we can get in more easily on my wife's application. We are looking to get there in roughly 2 years from now and are moving to Adelaide SA (all being week) Unfortunately as I am now 37 I did not sit an apprenticeship and so when we move although I have jib gold card And am a full spark I will only have 2 years actual experience on the tools by the time we get there. Do You think this will be a problem with me getting an OTSR assesment and ultimately working as a spark? I'm concerned that they are going to make me start from scratch as I haven't served a 4 year apprenticeship. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as my ability to work out there will decide whether we go or not.

thanks

The Vetassess site, which is the assessing body for Electricians, states that you must have been working in your trade for 5 years. Although this can include training. How long have you been working/training as a spark?

I have been at college full time for 2 years doing 2330 levels 2&3 but only hands on site for

about 6 months. I did as much training as possible whilst not working in the industry (am2 +2391 test inspect) and then just got a job on site and completed my portfolio. As I said before my working as an electrician in Oz is not a visa requirement to get into the country Does that change anything in terms of trade recognition etc?

Vetassess require 5 years experience, that's for trade recognition, whether it's for migration purposes or not. I've just looked on the Future Skills site, which is 1 of the other assessing bodies for Electricians, and they only ask for 12 months of the last 24 months experience on application. So you could be in luck. Have a look at their site for more info.

Archived