Any electricians out there that can help PLEASE

Guest lisaandnick

Guest lisaandnick

Good evening to everyone I am a reasonably new member but so far I have received FAB advice support and help from PIO.

My OH and I are relocating to Brisbane my OH is an electrician over here and we run our electrical business together my OH mainly deals with domestic installations and he is a registered inspector.

However we have just downloaded the Vetasses check sheet and my OH is extremely concerned that quite a bit on the tick sheet he is crossing ie the commercial electrics.

Can anyone advise regarding this my OH has been an electrician for the last 12 years in the domestic market so will vetasses test him on what he has trained in or does he need to know all the info on this sheet?

If he does then it will be impossible as we or should I see he only deals with the domestic side of electrics and has not really been involved in commercial.

I hope someone out there can help basically my OH is a general domestic electrician.

You can always pm me or email me if its easier.

Thanks Lisa:wacko:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lisa Nick.

I know how you feel im going through the same at tho moment.

Im not going through vetasses but getting assesed by theTRA and will find out what i have to do when i arrive in Perth on 3rd Sep. I think i will have to take a test as well but the main reason is so i can get a reference letter so to apply for a licence .

Not sure if this is all correct but there is a 5-10 week coarse that i will need to take so to get a A class ticket which means qualified electrician in Oz standards if that makes sence.

You would think the Ozzeys that nead trades men like us would,nt make it so hard for us Brits to come in and get work even when you are fully qualified and they still don,t recognised

So good luck

Guest lisaandnick

Thanks for thr reply how come you are going to Perth to do the test do you not get assesed here god its soooo confusing.

Apparently Nick will have a skills assesment here and also a practical test if he passes these he will get his provisional licence to work in Oz and then he has to do a course on their wiring regs once he gets there and once this is passed he will get a full licence. Oh I don't know its all so complicated but thanks for your reply and good luck to you.

Guest leeob77
Lisa Nick.

I know how you feel im going through the same at tho moment.

Im not going through vetasses but getting assesed by theTRA and will find out what i have to do when i arrive in Perth on 3rd Sep. I think i will have to take a test as well but the main reason is so i can get a reference letter so to apply for a licence .

Not sure if this is all correct but there is a 5-10 week coarse that i will need to take so to get a A class ticket which means qualified electrician in Oz standards if that makes sence.

You would think the Ozzeys that nead trades men like us would,nt make it so hard for us Brits to come in and get work even when you are fully qualified and they still don,t recognised

So good luck

i would urge you to look into the licensing side well before you arrive in oz. if you turn up in perth with only your visa you will be looking at up to six months before you can get work as a licensed electrician!

can you let me know what type of electrical trade you are qualified in? im presuming a maintenance electrician as you say TRA are assessing you.

lee.

Guest leeob77

licensing for each state is different.

you need either an ARTC certificate or the vetassess certificate to apply for license. some states only require a pass on the regs to get a license (SA) others are a nightmare and the only way to get a full license is work under supervision for a year filling in a log book until you are passed as an electrician (not sure if this is QLD).

licenses are transferable between states so a lot of guys go through SA as it is the quickest and easiest.

im moving to perth and im also getting license in SA as i dont want to be wainting months to get through exams in WA.

lee.

Nick.

I have sent my qulification to the TRA .i spoke to them this morning just to confirm things and they confirmed that they will asses all my qulifications which gives me a trade certificate so i can present it to the state licencing body.

Once i have the trade cert i sit a 2 week coarse which if i pass will give me a electrical Licence.

I must admit its not that clear.

Guest leeob77
Nick.

I have sent my qulification to the TRA .i spoke to them this morning just to confirm things and they confirmed that they will asses all my qulifications which gives me a trade certificate so i can present it to the state licencing body.

Once i have the trade cert i sit a 2 week coarse which if i pass will give me a electrical Licence.

I must admit its not that clear.

hi col42,

i assume you mean the ARTC certificate is what you have applied for.

once you are issued with an artc and you are in oz you can apply for your license. they assess your qualifications and it goes one of two ways - if they feel you have sufficient knowledge and experience then they will approve you to sit the exams. there is currently a two month wait to sit the first exam (practical). if successful you then have to wait to sit the theory exam. if you fail the exam or dont have enough knowledge/experience then you will have to sit the ETL course (electrical trades licensing). this course used to run for about ten weeks and after completion you would get license.

in SA you have to pass a course on the wiring regs AND THATS IT!

im doing the coursework from the UK and will sit the exam only in adelaide. you can get results and apply for license same day.

worth looking in to all the options!

good luck.

lee.

Guest lisaandnick

Hi Lee could you possibly let me know more about how I find out about the distance learning as this is what my OH would like to do it would be great to study for it here then just sit an exam.

I would really appreciate any info. Thanks Lisa

Guest leeob77

in south australia the license route is quite simple and quick. you must have either an artc or otsr (issued by vetassess - this has only just been recognised by licensing authorities) and have passed a course on the australian wiring regs.

the coures on the regs is run at a training group called PEER. the course can be done in two parts. you complete a workbook via distance learning from the uk then arrange a date to sit the exam. you work through things at your own pace, there are no time restraints. once you have completed the book you arrange to sit the exam in adelaide. a course tutor will have a quick check of your workbook then you do the wiring regs exam.

you can enroll on the course over the phone and pay with a credit card. cost is about £450.

will send contact details to you.

lee.

Guest Pete and Lou

Thanks Lee for some great info! My partner is an electrician too and we are heading for Queensland. Please could you send me the details regarding the long distance learning also. I thought I'd read somewhere that licence's issued by one state wasn't acknowledged in another state and you had to do it all over again. It's very confusing!!Any info will be much appreciated.

Lou

Guest Mike&lou

Hi there would you be pls be able to send me the number or contact details for peer in aus so i can also do the distance learning this would be greatly appreciated...mike

Guest leeob77
Thanks Lee for some great info! My partner is an electrician too and we are heading for Queensland. Please could you send me the details regarding the long distance learning also. I thought I'd read somewhere that licence's issued by one state wasn't acknowledged in another state and you had to do it all over again. It's very confusing!!Any info will be much appreciated.

Lou

hi, until recently if you were awarded a license for one state and then moved to another you had to transfer it to that state. there was no tests / exams but you did have to pay the license fee again. this is supposed to have changed now and licenses are recently being accepted as ok in each state ie you can now use your WA license in QLD etc etc. this is new and is only just catching on.

if anyone want info on the peer course please send your email address to me via pm (private message).

cheers.

lee.

Guest chris_mac

Hi Lisa, I only do domestic installations and passed the TRA Practical.. If i were to say it was easy i'd be lying... It is taxing as there is a bit of industrial work involved. If he checks out the posts on here in particular "Electrical Practical - Vetassess" he will get a good idea of whats involved... The posts helped me no end! Good Luck..

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

TRA Retuned Oct (Skill path D removed)

Re-applied Vetassess 01.01.08

Vetassess Paper Assess Passed 10.04.08

House up for sale 28.03.08 sold 14.04.08 (3 weeks, crikey)

Vetassess Practical 15.07.08

Practical Passed 11.08.08

Guest naths28
licensing for each state is different.

you need either an ARTC certificate or the vetassess certificate to apply for license. some states only require a pass on the regs to get a license (SA) others are a nightmare and the only way to get a full license is work under supervision for a year filling in a log book until you are passed as an electrician (not sure if this is QLD).

licenses are transferable between states so a lot of guys go through SA as it is the quickest and easiest.

im moving to perth and im also getting license in SA as i dont want to be wainting months to get through exams in WA.

lee.

hi leeob77

just a few points i was woundering that you could help me with??

i moved out to oz (sydney) on a 4 year visa 3 weeks ago(my OH),and im in the process of filling in my ARTC form(waiting for paperwork from my old employer in england)

in the ARTC form there is a checklist to go through,does it all need to be ticked yes??

i ask this as i didnt do an apprentiship with my employer,but went to night college to get my 2360,part 1,2 and 3 qualification,and my AM2.(which they payed for,and i worked as an electrician throughout my whole training,and before i even started college in 2003)

once i have all the correct info,and hopefully get the certificate,what is the next process then,or the best??

do i contact PEER regarding an australian reg course,or can i go to SA and sit an exam,amd transfer my licence??

any help would be gratefull..

many thanks,nathan.

Guest leeob77
hi leeob77

just a few points i was woundering that you could help me with??

i moved out to oz (sydney) on a 4 year visa 3 weeks ago(my OH),and im in the process of filling in my ARTC form(waiting for paperwork from my old employer in england)

in the ARTC form there is a checklist to go through,does it all need to be ticked yes??

i ask this as i didnt do an apprentiship with my employer,but went to night college to get my 2360,part 1,2 and 3 qualification,and my AM2.(which they payed for,and i worked as an electrician throughout my whole training,and before i even started college in 2003)

once i have all the correct info,and hopefully get the certificate,what is the next process then,or the best??

do i contact PEER regarding an australian reg course,or can i go to SA and sit an exam,amd transfer my licence??

any help would be gratefull..

many thanks,nathan.

hi nathan.

i will have to get back to you on the apprenticeship part. as far as i am aware it is a necessary part of the artc application that you demonstrate a period of formal apprenticeship. will ask a few people and let you know.

the peer course can either be done at the college itself or in part from sydney then just fly over for the exam. pm your email address to me and i will send you the contact info. if you have a chat with them they will advise your best option. mine was a no brainer as i am still in the uk.

once you have completed the course you take your artc certificate and pass from peer to the SA licensing office and apply for license. i have been told that you dont have to transfer the license any more as they are accepted in all states.

hope this helps.

lee.

• 1 month later...
Guest waynebheald1

Any body out there , just had meeting with agent to migrate to adelaide and he told me i will have to do a test ( practical/written ).

Does anybody know what this will involve or where i can go to get information on it.

Also, still very early days but what will i need when i get to adelaide to get a start .

Guest waynebheald1

hi could you give me any advice on the electrical test to get a visa to oz , any little bit of info will be a great help

cheers wayn e

Guest THE RICKARD'S

Hi Wayne.

I am as far as my paperwork has been passed and my practical has been booked with Vetassess. This has all been done with guidance from our agent as this is what you are paying them for, so I am sure they will answer your questions when asked. If not you may be better of reading what Lee (Leeob77) or Chris mac has to say, they seem to know what there on about.

Good Luck. Glen

Guest THE RICKARD'S
hi, until recently if you were awarded a license for one state and then moved to another you had to transfer it to that state. there was no tests / exams but you did have to pay the license fee again. this is supposed to have changed now and licenses are recently being accepted as ok in each state ie you can now use your WA license in QLD etc etc. this is new and is only just catching on.

if anyone want info on the peer course please send your email address to me via pm (private message).

cheers.

lee.

Hi Lee.

Me and my family are looking at moving to the Gold Coast or nearby this time next year,depending on practical results for Feb 16th assessment,house sale e.t.c. If I was to arrive in Oz all passed with Vetassess,do you no if or what other licences,courses and training I would need to do for this part of Oz to work as a general electrician?

Thanks. Glen.

• 3 months later...

Hi

Getting my head round things,this is how I see it for Queensland (have spoken in depth to a 'rival' Aussie electrician in Oz)

on passing Vetassess:

Apply for BLUE CARD (on line) and complete details use a friends address to send the card to. This is basic health and safety couse

Complete FORM 11 APPLICATION FOR ELECTRICAL LICENCE/WORK PERMIT (issued by DEIR),this can be downloaded from the Qld gov website. You will need to send this once in Oz. Cost is 58.30

Sign up for INSPECTION AND TEST/WIRING RULES course at a TAFE. This might have to be a correspondence course. Contact the local TAFE for info on the gap training required.

GET A JOB -this is only possible once you have received the electrical work training permit. Employers will only pay between 20-25 dollars per hour until you hold the Class A Cert. This is where you will have to sell yourself!!!!

Hope this helps....Think this is about it...

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU HAVE THE OFSR ISSUED BY VETASSESS (AND NOT THE ARTC),CAN YOU APPLY TO PEER IN ADALAIDE TO DO THE WIRING RULES COURSE ETC???

Lots love to all ,Phil

almost out of here,should be next month

Guest leeob77

hi all.

anyone thinking of going via PEER in adelaide would be best to phone them in person to discuss enrolment if you have an OSTR. when we were out there we got the impression that you would have to prove a level of competency through supervised work before you could enrol.

if anyone does get a definitive answer please post it as everyone seems to gave a different opinion on this!

good luck with the license whichever way you do it.

lee.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, great information , however , my situation is a little different. I'm a qualified spark but we intend to apply for a visa on my wife's profession as a nurse. Do I still need to be vetassessed or would it be easier to do a course over there. We intend to go to Brisbane. thanks

Guest leeob77

you dont need a vetassess assessment, you can apply for an artc certificate (costs about $350). you can do this from the uk as soon as you have your visa in your passport.

you could then apply for a restricted license as soon as you arrive.

lee.

Thanks for the reply Lee . Managed to find quite a bit of info on this after trawling through this site. However, getting the artc will be pain as I' ve been doing lots of short term contracts and getting detailed work refs from them is going to be a whole heap of fun! Cheers

Archived