financial assistance in oz

Guest Guest12551

Guest Guest12551

hi all, just wondering if anyone knows what you may be entitled too from the government in the way of financial assistance , as in child benefits etc.....

when we where at the PIO meet on the gold coast in may we met so many people who all had information on this kinda stuff, we where told that if you earn less than $80k then you get rent assistance? and payment towards the kids..

we have a 10yr old and a 13 yr old. the wife probably wouldnt work for about 6 months as shes nervous about the driving.. so that leaves my wage of circa $70k.

has anyone any idea of what we may be able to claim...and how much it would be?.. i also understand that any items i buy for work are tax detuctable at the end of the year.. and even get a tax deduction for cleaning work clothes.... is this right???

i dont want to sound like a sponger... but if you are entitled to it then why not!!!

this information would be of great help...especially as we will not have much to go over with and we are a bit worried about our financial stability.. or the possible lack of it..... thanx.. john marie and kids.....:wacko:

Guest Ian&Lou

Hi,

The benefits you are entitled to depend on lots of different thin gs. Firstly family assistance is means tested, so the less you earn the more you will get, you will also get paid a little bit more if one of you chooses to stay home and look after the kids. If you have over 3 children then you also qualify for a large family payment.

Centrelink have told me that you will only qualify for rent assistance if you are paid $55k or under, however I havent looked into this any further to know if it differs in different areas of QLD, but I cant see why it would.

Also the type of visa you are coming to Oz on may affect what you are entitled to. Check out the website www.familyassist.gov.au to see what there is available, but it wont give you amounts.

Lou

Guest Guest12551

thanx ian and lou, i appreciate your message, i will look into the weblink,, its so confusing as i have been told so many different things... i see this has been a popular posting and hope someone out there has any other info...... so as u know.. we have been issued a permenant residancy visa.... cheers john marie and kids

Guest Jaynie

On your Australian Tax return you can claim for laundry as long as it is a compulsory uniform, you can also claim for sunglasses, suncream if your work is outside, you can claim for work boots too if you have to wear protective boots for your job, there are other things you can claim back on your tax return too, especially if you have children.

As for family benefit.........sorry I can't help you on that, I think it depends on your circumstances wages etc.,

Guest Ian&Lou

Hi,

If you are on a PR visa then you will be fine to claim any benefits. When you get here you need to apply for your tax file number, once you have that pop down to your local centrelink and they will give you all the forms to fill in. It takes a while for it all to go through, so the sooner you apply the better.

Lou

Guest julie2g1b
On your Australian Tax return you can claim for laundry as long as it is a compulsory uniform, you can also claim for sunglasses, suncream if your work is outside, you can claim for work boots too if you have to wear protective boots for your job, there are other things you can claim back on your tax return too, especially if you have children.

As for family benefit.........sorry I can't help you on that, I think it depends on your circumstances wages etc.,

hi jayne

hubby is a builder so does that mean he can claim back for stuff like that as

working outside, and how do you claim? every little helps............

Great post john as we may be in the same boat so advice like this is brill

as would not have thought of it, thinking would not be entitled to anything

will find out more now when we go over in nov to validate visa's ..........

will click your chick for that :biglaugh:

julie :wubclub:

Guest mandisfam
I thought the 'benefits' didn't kick in for two years on a PR or is that just unemployment benefit?

This what I thought too, with the exception of child benefit or family assistance which I think its called in oz.

Mandisfam

Guest Jaynie
hi jayne

hubby is a builder so does that mean he can claim back for stuff like that as

working outside, and how do you claim? every little helps............

Great post john as we may be in the same boat so advice like this is brill

as would not have thought of it, thinking would not be entitled to anything

will find out more now when we go over in nov to validate visa's ..........

will click your chick for that

julie :wubclub:

Hi Julie,

Yes he will be able to claim for these things, this is the link for the website and there is a section on the left hand side 'things you can claim for'

e-tax essentials

You can also claim for charity donations too.:yes:

Guest Pinhead

From immi website

Two-year wait for social security payments

New migrants to Australia have to wait 2 years after gaining

permanent residency before they can get most social security

payments, including unemployment benefits, sickness

allowance, Austudy income support payments for students and

a number of other payments. The two-year wait starts from the

date of arrival in Australia or the date of grant of a permanent

visa, whichever is the later. It is therefore very important that

you understand that migrants are expected to support

themselves and their immediate family members from their

own resources and from the support they receive from

sponsors.

Guest Guest12551

thanx to all who have comented on and added to this thread.... i didnt know about the 2 year thing.. cheers pinhead... the more info off the folks on here the better... for all us.. so keep it comming folks.. thanx .. john, marie and kids

If you have PR Visa you can claim Family Assistance(like child benefit) Child Care benefit ( help with Child care costs) and Rent assistance.All of these depend on what you earn but you receive them straight away.

With the Tools/Overall Cleaning etc it is not a benefit but a tax decution which is submitted with your tax return.

You can also receive the Baby Bond if you have a baby soon after arriving.And you are also entitled to the First Home owner grant.

Unemployemet benefit Etc is a two year waiting period.

Guest __TJ__

what about disability allowance? my ds gets DLA here, for his aspergers, as he is harder work than the average 8yo, it is £400 a month so we had factored loosing that in our budget when we come over, do they have a disability allowance over there and what qualifies / does that count against you for entry

Archived