Melbourne is a dump!

Guest haysgood

If you were green with pink stripes it wouldn't matter! Make an effort to fit in thats all anyone asks.

Couldn't agree more. Life is what you make it, especially here in Australia. If you try and fit in and become Australians (which I assume is why most people move here) they will welcome you. We have made many wonderful friends since being here and broken a few ribs playing Footy (Australian) with some great guys in the past year. I've never had so much beer or so much fun.

What great country

Al

Note - I'll always be Cornish, but if Australia was good enough for a lot of my fellow Cornlandish kinsmen (as my Aussie mates lovingly call us) then it's good enough for me.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest earlswood
Couldn't agree more. Life is what you make it, especially here in Australia. If you try and fit in and become Australians (which I assume is why most people move here) they will welcome you. We have made many wonderful friends since being here and broken a few ribs playing Footy (Australian) with some great guys in the past year. I've never had so much beer or so much fun.

What great country

Al

Note - I'll always be Cornish, but if Australia was good enough for a lot of my fellow Cornlandish kinsmen (as my Aussie mates lovingly call us) then it's good enough for me.

See it works for some folks but others like me it falls down...we are all different and what does not work for some will work for others.....suck it and see.:yes:

See it works for some folks but others like me it falls down...we are all different and what does not work for some will work for others.....suck it and see.

Couldn't agree more, but as an Admin on BritVics and member of BE for years I have heard my fair share of unhappy expats and the vast majority find it hard mainly because its either radically different than their expectations (which goes back to my belief that a lot of people emigrate off the back of Home & Away without doing the proper research) or because they feel isolated and find life on their own hard, which in the vast majority of cases could be put down to them not attempting to fit in or integrate into the local society.

It's HARD work to make new friends at our age. Walking up to people in the playground and initiating a conversation, joining new social environments, not knowing the social graces (or lack of), not understanding the popular culture and icons, etc. It's a new world which is a complete shock to a lot of people, mainly because it seems so similar to England but in most ways it couldn't be more different.

Join a footy/rugby club, play circket (*shudder* Yes I am this summer and yes I hate it. Just doing it to continue the social side of the winter Footy), help out at the school, coach a kids sport, etc. All of these will have you surrounded by potential new friends which makes life SO much easier.

Al

Archived