Melbourne is a dump!

Guest haysgood

Guest kali02

Thank you Pinhead and Bordy, we would be more than surprised if we didn't love Ferntree Gully. Would appreciate some insider info on the area and surrounding burbs. We're looking to have a decent sized house with a garage, on the edge of the national park or with at least a good sized garden to provide some seclusion. Unfortunately, we also need to be as close to a station as possible as my hubby will be commuting to the CBD every day.

Also, there's another post on the other forum from a couple who've been in Melbourne for a year now. I will post the link if nobody minds as it's well worth a read, please delete otherwise:

Viewing Single Post From: Been away from the UK a year on Monday!

I think from reading it that it's clear some people simply don't like Melbourne because they're not really ready for the move. This couple went with no preconceptions and just wanted adventure and they've settled in really well.

I hope that's how it is for us! :spinny:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest moonraker1961

Hi Kali,just read your post and yes I used to shop in that "mountain"town of Mount Barker lol lol Watch out for the hillbillies lol lol That town has grown beyond recognition to me as it used to be very small but like everywhere else is booming which I feel makes it lose its character.Great "Hills" town though lol

Guest daz6480

Melbourne is awesome. I live in st kilda which is a mix of travellers, locals and tramps which makes it a very interesting place.

You cant move for nice restaurants on fitzroy st, acland st, Brunswick and Fitzroy are all full of great places to eat.

The amount of live music events and sport is unbelievable. You can get 90,000 people at the MCG to watch an AFL game.

There are some areas which aren't very nice, but you have to remember its a city.

A lot of people seem to talk about how aweful Melbourne is so I thought I would stick up for it.

Anywhere in the world is as good as you make it.

Guest Speechykeen

I spent six months in Melbourne in 2002 as a backpacker and can't wait to move back. There are fabulous restaurants in the CBD (little Collins St etc) and in the areas just outside the city - Fitzroy, St Kilda etc etc. The weather isn't as warm as the rest of Aus, but you don't need to go there to find that out! It's a classy city with a real European influence and I'd put up with a bit of grafitti in order to avoid the red-neck-ness (!!) of QLD any day!!!

Guest moonraker1961

Is'nt St Kilda the red light area?lol I have been to Melbourne twice and St Kilda was awash with red lights everywhere???

Guest Speechykeen

Lol yeah it is but it's a bizarre mix of seedy streets and super trendy ones! Plenty of celeb spotting to be done on Acland St (main street) on a saturday night. I think "bohemian" is the necest way of putting it lol!

Guest Pinhead

St Kilda's lovely in the day, good street market on Sundays. I was never there at night.

Definitely didn't see any red lights etc.

Guest neil and maureen troup

i am truly amazed about the bad publicity on melbourne , we are hopefuly moving out for good next jan but have visited 3 times already as my son and his family have lived there for several years . i think the complainers are looking for paridise on earth by the sound of it lol . sounds like nowhere on earth would be good enough for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nicko1980

Come on guys lets be serious here.....maybe the weather in Melbourne is not as good as in Perth or Brisbane but it is 1000 times better than the UK. Its rain, rain, rain here and thats our summer!!

A spot of rain in Melbourne can't be that bad if the summer is 30c+ at times.

Im moving to Melbourne in Jan '09....bring it on is what I say!!!

:biglaugh:

Guest madgenrich

This post just goes on and on, I have been here almost a month now and have lost count of the days me and the kids have walked to the beach, I can however say that it has rained about five maybe six days since I came and when it rains it rains for about fifteen minutes and then goes off, if the weather here was so bad surely there would not be water restrictions and everytime you turn on the news they are talking about the drought!!!!!!!!!! It has been a bit nippy but nothing compared to the weather we were having back in the UK, when I left there were floods in Scotland and in Stroud the other day a man died in a flood, my brother in law lives in Shrewsbury and his garden flooded so badly they thought it was coming in the house!!!!! British summer dont you just love it!!!

Seriously though in the three weeks we have been here we have yet to find anything negative to say about the place, we are loving it. We did not come here for the weather we came here to give our kids a good life, the people are so friendly and nice, on Sunday mornings the cafes are full of people and the beaches are as well, it just feels great being part of it all, I wake up every morning at half six here as the sun is shining through my window and I dont want to waste any of the day, you see parrots in the trees and the other day we were walking and there were pelicans with beaks a foot long just on the beach, my boys have been rock pooling and they have seen starfish and crabs and all sorts, all of which they can do in Scotland but it is much easier here as the torential rain and wind dont cut them to the bone!!!!!

We are living on the west side of the city and will be staying here, I love the west of Melbourne there is just so much space, I love to go into Melbourne as well I have said before it is a brilliant city with loads to do and see, each to their own but I will be staying put, this is where we are meant to be and we love it!!!

Guest itskaren
Come on guys lets be serious here.....maybe the weather in Melbourne is not as good as in Perth or Brisbane but it is 1000 times better than the UK. Its rain, rain, rain here and thats our summer!!

A spot of rain in Melbourne can't be that bad if the summer is 30c+ at times.

Im moving to Melbourne in Jan '09....bring it on is what I say!!!

It's more than just the weather. Poor you for moving to Melbourne. I have been here for 10 months now and hate it.

Good luck is all I can say!

Life is what you make it yourself, the place does not make life happy its the people in it,t he weather and general ambiance. If we are unhappy we need to look at ourselves first.

This morning I went for my walk and it was beautiful. Fortunately we have walking paths around my town and the traffic is not a noisy problem, lovely to see all the spring flowers, also to say good morning to people. Monday was my first day out after winter and it was so nice to catch up with the morning walkers that I know.

Melbourne is heaven and with daylight saving coming on even better.:smile:

Guest itskaren
Life is what you make it yourself, the place does not make life happy its the people in it,t he weather and general ambiance. If we are unhappy we need to look at ourselves first.

This morning I went for my walk and it was beautiful. Fortunately we have walking paths around my town and the traffic is not a noisy problem, lovely to see all the spring flowers, also to say good morning to people. Monday was my first day out after winter and it was so nice to catch up with the morning walkers that I know.

Melbourne is heaven and with daylight saving coming on even better.:smile:

I agree! Life is what you make it. We are healthy, happy as a family and I count my blessings with that. However, I am just disappointed with Melbourne as a whole. We are so much worse off here than in the UK. Not much we can do about this for the time being as it has cost so much coming over here in the first place. I feel as thought we have gone back 15 years financially coming here. The grass is not always greener.............. Althought I still would say to anyone coming over to try it and see for yourselves. My post alone is not going to put people off I can assure you.

I agree! Life is what you make it. We are healthy, happy as a family and I count my blessings with that. However, I am just disappointed with Melbourne as a whole. We are so much worse off here than in the UK. Not much we can do about this for the time being as it has cost so much coming over here in the first place. I feel as thought we have gone back 15 years financially coming here. The grass is not always greener.............. Althought I still would say to anyone coming over to try it and see for yourselves. My post alone is not going to put people off I can assure you.

Its a shame when things don't work out. I suppose its what you were used to back in the UK that affects how you settle here to.

We are here 9 years now & although probably no better or worse off financially we certainly have a much better way of life in Melbourne & could never dream of leaving it.

Ive been to Perth, Sydney, Cairns & Gold coast and IMO Melbourne is easily the best.

As said before though we are all differant & have differant expectations & of course Melbourne is not going to be to everyones liking.

Hopefully those that can't settle in this lovely city can find what they are looking for soon even if it does mean moving back to UK.

Good luck to all.

Guest madgenrich

I know what you mean about being worse off, we are finding it pricey here as well we have had to lower our expectations on housing etc, I will be finding a job which to me is like a swear word but the school we are getting the boys in is so good and the lack of pessimism in the people makes up for the fantasy of the big house and pool, my oh is loving his work it is not dark and dreary when he goes in and when he comes out.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time maybe as some of the others have said you should try other states maybe Melbourne just isn't your bag.

I hope things improve for you do you have anyone outside the forum you can talk to about this, I find the more I talk about things that bother me the more I can sort through them and get to the root of the problem, maybe help you decipher exactly what it is you hate so much about the place, good luck whatever you do.

Guest The Pom Queen

I have to agree with you, it is also true that the winter in Melbourne was better than the summer in the UK. Here is a link to a blog posting, information from the weatherzone Moving to Melbourne UK Summer worse than Melbourne Winter

Guest itskaren
i am truly amazed about the bad publicity on melbourne , we are hopefuly moving out for good next jan but have visited 3 times already as my son and his family have lived there for several years . i think the complainers are looking for paridise on earth by the sound of it lol . sounds like nowhere on earth would be good enough for them.

I think this is an unfair statement as it has been said many times we are all different. I was just expecting it to be a lot cheaper than it is. I had a printout of all the price things to expect from my employer ie, bread $1.40 Petrol $1.20, Milk $1.50 etc. This was only given to me in Nov 07 Obviously it is out of date! I do not think anyone in their right mind will not come to Melbourne just because a few of us don't like it!!!

Just because we have a different opinion than you does not mean to say that it is not valid. I find it offensive that you say that we are looking for a 'paradise on earth'.

I am glad you like Melbourne so do the 1000 people a day that come here probably do. I just get fed up of people being 'off hand' just because our opinion differs from others that like it here!

Guest earlswood

Melbourne is heaven and with daylight saving coming on even better.

Totally agree...you can have a fantastic life in the UK or Oz, it is what you make it....you can move to anywhere in the UK Europe or OZ and be as happy as larry....it's NOT THE PLACE IT'S YOU....:radar:

BUT YOU CAN STILL HAVE A WHINGE....:cute:...

Totally agree...you can have a fantastic life in the UK or Oz, it is what you make it....you can move to anywhere in the UK Europe or OZ and be as happy as larry....it's NOT THE PLACE IT'S YOU....:radar:

Here's the pot calling the kettle Black!!!!

Guest earlswood

Here's the pot calling the kettle Black!!!!

True....but you can have a whinge wherever you are:jimlad:

Hello,

Thank you for your possitve post on Melbourne and I hope you still feel the same way a few months later.

My family and I are just starting the migration process and we want to settle in Melbourne due to the fact my Mum wants to come with us eventually, but she is not good in the heat which rules out most other main cities.

Could I ask your opinion on something? We are a mixed race family, I'm white, my husdands family originally came from Trinidad and therefore our two beautiful girls are what we like to call, Golden. Do you think we would have any problems being accepted in Melbourne?

Any views, good or bad would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Victoria

Hello,

Thank you for your possitve post on Melbourne and I hope you still feel the same way a few months later.

My family and I are just starting the migration process and we want to settle in Melbourne due to the fact my Mum wants to come with us eventually, but she is not good in the heat which rules out most other main cities.

Could I ask your opinion on something? We are a mixed race family, I'm white, my husdands family originally came from Trinidad and therefore our two beautiful girls are what we like to call, Golden. Do you think we would have any problems being accepted in Melbourne?

Any views, good or bad would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Victoria

If you were green with pink stripes it wouldn't matter! Make an effort to fit in thats all anyone asks.

Archived