Oil prices drop to lowest level

Guest aussiewannabee

Guest aussiewannabee

Oil prices fell to their lowest level for about four months amid expectations that slower world growth would reduce demand.

Light, sweet crude traded on the New York Mercantile Exchange - the world's benchmark price - touched 112.75 US dollars before edging up slightly. It is nearly 25% lower than the 147.27 US dollars seen in the second week of July.

The drop came after Europe's biggest economies - Germany, France and Italy - contracted during the second quarter. Japan also said this week that its gross domestic product shrank between April and June, while Bank of England Governor Mervyn King warned that the UK economy was likely to shrink in the coming year.

Victor Shum, an energy analyst with consultancy Purvin & Gertz in Singapore, said: "Worries about an economic slowdown in the US and Europe, and even Japan, are weighing on the oil market."

Oil also fell despite the continuing tensions between Russia and Georgia.

In the UK, average petrol prices have fallen 6.5p to 113.15p during the past month, the AA said. Petrol prices peaked on July 17 at 119.7p per litre.

The average price of diesel has fallen from 131.56p per litre to 125.58p, a saving of 6p a litre.

But filling up a tank is costing normally £1 more than it should, the AA has argued, based on falling wholesale prices which are down 18%.

That equates to an 8.5p per litre reduction in the average price of unleaded petrol, taking it down to 111.2p.

The AA's Paul Watters said: "Whichever way you look at it, many drivers are being short-changed by around a £1 a tank when they fill up with petrol in the UK. As well as undermining family budgets, selfishly holding back two pence a litre in wholesale price reductions is denying potential consumer spending at other local businesses suffering from falling sales."

I know it's great news about the oil price coming down, but like it says, the price of petrol doesn't come down the same. If you notice, they are quick enough to put the price up when oil rises.

I can't get my head round the price fluctuations over here. They have what they call "cheap Tuesday" which quite often knocks about 5c off a litre, but the next day it will go up by 8c. The worst I've seen is a 16c jump from one day to the next. What I don't understand is, if they buy a tanker full of fuel for $x amount and need to make a profit on this, which is fair enough, how can the price then suddenly jump by 10 or more cents, when they have the same fuel they paid the lower amount for. Also really anoying is the fact that at weekends and public holidays the price really jumps up. This is profiteering, which everyone here takes as the norm. If the petrol price in the UK shot up every weekend there would be an out cry and Government enquiry.

That's my moan over for the day. Thanks for that!

Frank

Archived