Anyone from N/East uk emigrating to OZ

Guest *KAY TEE*

Guest sandy25

Hi Sarah, it's a small small world isn't it? It seems strange when you see that people nearby are moving to or living in oz. Good to hear. I always think that we'll be the only ones from Hartlepool area. I recognised your accent on the Wanted Down Under programme. Hope you are settled in well? Wendy:smile:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest stockies

Hi guys , well things have changed for us a bit since I last posted on here, David (OH) has now got an Interview for a job he applied for at Queensland University, My mind has started racing away with me a bit, thinking what the hell are we going to do if he gets the job, we havent sold the house yet.!!!!!!!!.......My head is spinning at the minute .....oh well we will just have to wait and see what happens in the interview........lol

Claire. XX

Guest Bertie

:chatterbox:we live in Berwick and we really like it here, I can't comment on the other areas as I haven't been to any of them. when we first got here I felt sick all the time thinking we had made the wrong decision, it was stressful just driving around all the time trying to find somewhere to live, schools etc the kids were bored (make sure they have a ds or psp to keep them quiet) and I was pregnant!!!

But once we moved into our house and our stuff came, we all felt much happier.

The kids love it here they say its much better than UK, me and OH still have days where we miss home, but none of our family have seen baby and thats hard.

Overall here I think it's better for kids, more things to do and more sports clubs so at least kids can get a place unlike UK.

Guest donovan
Hi Sarah, it's a small small world isn't it? It seems strange when you see that people nearby are moving to or living in oz. Good to hear. I always think that we'll be the only ones from Hartlepool area. I recognised your accent on the Wanted Down Under programme. Hope you are settled in well? Wendy:smile:

Hiya Wendy

We have all settled really well over here, kids are loving the life they have over here, as they do get a lot more freedom, more to do that does not cost a fortune, ie beach, lovely parks, lots of great bbq areas.

Sarah x

Guest John&Christine

John & Christine here.

We are moving to Melbourne probably Chirnside Park / Lillydale area as I have family in these areas, but it all depends on where the work is really.

We are going for a seven-week trip over Christmas and New Year to get a feel for the place.

I (John) work in IT, field support mainly and we need the MAP to open up again as I have more experience than qualifications, but I am now going to collage two days a week to get some new qualifications under my belt just incase we need to look at other avenues to get to OZ.

Guest silverstargazer38

hi all we are also looking at getting out of here lived in leeds most of my life but been in norton for past ten years .i have a job to goto out in adelaide but getting sick on the waiting game they seem to play us .was hoping to bee there last june then things changed and looks like now may be sometime next year

• 2 months later...
Guest snow white

heh guys we are from newcastle arrived 16 months ago me oh and 6 kids were on gold coast and enjoying life there are ups and downs and you have to stay positive or deaf to overcome them but im glad we did it

lesley x

heh guys we are from newcastle arrived 16 months ago me oh and 6 kids were on gold coast and enjoying life there are ups and downs and you have to stay positive or deaf to overcome them but im glad we did it

lesley x

:emoticon-signxmas:Merry christmas from us in the north and feeling the cold:)))

Weve finally got to go for our meds in jan and do our police checks, so we will be in oz for sept/oct 09. Can't wait were going anywhere between the cold coast and the sunshine coast anywhere the work is for my hubby:)))

Were from the boro smoggies:))))

nice to meet you:)))

have a wonderful christmas and new year:)))

Briggy:)))xxx:biggrinxmas:

Guest The Fletchers

Hi guys - we're Linda, Stephen, Tom (17) & Holly (12 - going on 20!) and we live in Whitley Bay (North Tyneside). We're moving to the Cleveland area of Brisbane next year - Stephen will probably go end of May/beginning of June to look for work/accommodation etc and me & the kids will follow when Tom finishes his A levels in June. Can't wait!

Hope everyone has a great Xmas & New Year.........it might be the last one in the UK for lots of us on here!:yesxmas:

Linda

Hi all

We are the Mears clan from York, we're hoping to move to Canberra sometime next year. Just received positive response back from Vetassess and are just starting our 176 visa.

Hope the new year bring you all the outcome you want..

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Mears Clan - Darren, Cath, Abbie & Laura

Hi guys - we're Linda, Stephen, Tom (17) & Holly (12 - going on 20!) and we live in Whitley Bay (North Tyneside). We're moving to the Cleveland area of Brisbane next year - Stephen will probably go end of May/beginning of June to look for work/accommodation etc and me & the kids will follow when Tom finishes his A levels in June. Can't wait!

Hope everyone has a great Xmas & New Year.........it might be the last one in the UK for lots of us on here!:yesxmas:

Linda

Hi Linda and family a merry christmas to you tooooooooo:emoticon-signxmas:

Yes lets hope it's our last one here too.

We will be over in oz just before christmas next year wooooo cant wait:))))

Here's to a fantastic new year in a great country OZZZZZZ

Cheers Biggy xxx HO HO HO!!!!!!

Guest snow white

hi linda, me and my family are from whitley bay we moved to gold coast over 16 months ago all the best for your move next year

lesley x

Guest The Fletchers

Hi Briggy - Merry Christmas to you & your family too. I bet you hope 2009 will just fly by & then you'll be able to enjoy Xmas in the sun like all the lucky poms who are already over there!

Hi Lesley - what part of Whitley are you from? We lived on Beaumont Park before we moved to Oz last year (long story) & are now renting on Valley Gardens.

Linda :emoticon-signxmas:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Geordieinaus

Hi,

Im a posh geordie, who has been in Melbourne for just over 6 years. Melbourne/Aus is great 330 days of the year, but the other 35, when its 30C or more, I wish I was back hyem.

There are so many parts to Melbourne, its like a smaller version of London...so Inner city, trendy, yuppie places such as Fitzroy/Carlton/St Kilda etc would be OK for families if you like shops/cafes and jogging...but other than that, Id rather live in one of the beachside suburbs...Williamstown/Altona or the other side of the bay...Mornington/Mount Martha/Mount Eliza...but the latter three are a bit of a trek from the city, but nice lifestyle and views.

Im in the northern suburbs..not quite so nice, but a bit more affordable...and they do a mean kebab, being surrounded by arabs etc. Havent seen any terrorists yet, but they may be in hiding...hahahaaha

Good luck with the move...I hope Immigration have calmed down a bit from when I did it...form filling & lots of irritating, stupid questions.

Best of luck and let us know when you get here.

Haway the Toon ( wish I was back in Gatesheed or Westerhope, to see the old stamping grounds)

Andrew.

Guest snow white
Hi,

Im a posh geordie, who has been in Melbourne for just over 6 years. Melbourne/Aus is great 330 days of the year, but the other 35, when its 30C or more, I wish I was back hyem.

There are so many parts to Melbourne, its like a smaller version of London...so Inner city, trendy, yuppie places such as Fitzroy/Carlton/St Kilda etc would be OK for families if you like shops/cafes and jogging...but other than that, Id rather live in one of the beachside suburbs...Williamstown/Altona or the other side of the bay...Mornington/Mount Martha/Mount Eliza...but the latter three are a bit of a trek from the city, but nice lifestyle and views.

Im in the northern suburbs..not quite so nice, but a bit more affordable...and they do a mean kebab, being surrounded by arabs etc. Havent seen any terrorists yet, but they may be in hiding...hahahaaha

Good luck with the move...I hope Immigration have calmed down a bit from when I did it...form filling & lots of irritating, stupid questions.

Best of luck and let us know when you get here.

Haway the Toon ( wish I was back in Gatesheed or Westerhope, to see the old stamping grounds)

Andrew.

hang on mate since when was gateshead or bloody westerhope posh for a geordie haway man talk about living the dream lol, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest snow white
Hi Briggy - Merry Christmas to you & your family too. I bet you hope 2009 will just fly by & then you'll be able to enjoy Xmas in the sun like all the lucky poms who are already over there!

Hi Lesley - what part of Whitley are you from? We lived on Beaumont Park before we moved to Oz last year (long story) & are now renting on Valley Gardens.

Linda :emoticon-signxmas:

hi guys, we are from whitley bay, moved here 16 months ago if theres anything we can do to help questions whatever let me know all the best woth the move lesley x

Hi everyone,

Good to hear all the places from the NE again....just wish the accent travelled through your posts as I miss it. I'm an Aussie who met a Geordie on his travels, got stuck on her, married her and then dragged her back here to Brisbane after 4 years living it up in Newcastle. We lived just near the Bodega pub on Westgate Rd.

If any of you have any Brisbane questions fire away and I'll do my best.

Whenever anyone asks me how a geordie speaks I use this conversation that I heard between two blokes soon after arriving in Newcastle that stuck with me - "Are ya gannin down the toon man. Aye, I'm gannin down the toon and then I'm gannin yem". If I say it fast like a geordie with my fake geordie accent no-one has a clue what I'm tarkin aboot :) I miss it....

Hi Fish

I'm going to be working at the Mater Hospital, can you give me some info on easy commute places to live. We have been looking on line at the Springfield Lakes, Collingwood Park area. My sister, who is also going to be at the same hospital is looking at Manly, though I think it looks great it may be a bit expensive for us. We would like to be near enough to the coast to get there without dirving for hours and we dont like city living, just nice quite suberbs/towns. Cant bear snakes but dont mind spiders, (if thats any help). Also whats the average temp in your winter as thats when we will most likely to be arriving.

I understood every word of that converstation!!! I am origionally from Sunderland but have lived in the South East of England for over 20 years and I still miss the accent.

regards

lynne

Guest snow white
Hi everyone,

Good to hear all the places from the NE again....just wish the accent travelled through your posts as I miss it. I'm an Aussie who met a Geordie on his travels, got stuck on her, married her and then dragged her back here to Brisbane after 4 years living it up in Newcastle. We lived just near the Bodega pub on Westgate Rd.

If any of you have any Brisbane questions fire away and I'll do my best.

Whenever anyone asks me how a geordie speaks I use this conversation that I heard between two blokes soon after arriving in Newcastle that stuck with me - "Are ya gannin down the toon man. Aye, I'm gannin down the toon and then I'm gannin yem". If I say it fast like a geordie with my fake geordie accent no-one has a clue what I'm tarkin aboot :) I miss it....

lol just read your post in my real geordie accent lol know what you mean though if i had a $1 for everytime an ozzie says i love ya scottish, irish accent could retire!

tell the wife we lived in heaton in newcastle moved to whitley bay then to gold coast if you ever fancy a get together 3 geordies and one oz/geordie let me know

lesley x

Hi Fish

I'm going to be working at the Mater Hospital, can you give me some info on easy commute places to live. We have been looking on line at the Springfield Lakes, Collingwood Park area. My sister, who is also going to be at the same hospital is looking at Manly, though I think it looks great it may be a bit expensive for us. We would like to be near enough to the coast to get there without dirving for hours and we dont like city living, just nice quite suberbs/towns. Cant bear snakes but dont mind spiders, (if thats any help). Also whats the average temp in your winter as thats when we will most likely to be arriving.

I understood every word of that converstation!!! I am origionally from Sunderland but have lived in the South East of England for over 20 years and I still miss the accent.

regards

lynne

Hi Lynne,

I will post two posts after this one that might help - I have posted them previously.

The first post explains the layout of public transport in Brisbane (mostly ignoring rail). It will give you some idea how the Brisbane City Council organises things.

The second post is about whether you would live in a wooden house or not.

Note that the The Mater hospital is on the Southside near the CBD so you could look at the suburbs along that route that I detail in post 1. It has a southside busway stop right across the road. The busway is a dedicated road used just for buses that runs along the side of the motorway.

Collingwood Park and Springfield Lakes are approx 30km from the CBD on a very busy road so may not be a good commute. They are really suburbs of a town called Ipswich west of Brisbane.

Manly is also a fair way out (approx 18km) and I woukld only choose it if I really wanted to live on the bay.

My choice would be Tarragindi - beautiful suburb with lots of trees, families, schools and an easy run through back streets to the Mater. It would also have buses feeding onto the busway that would get you to the "Mater Hill" stop for the days when the car is in the shop. Only problem might be price and the fact that a lot of houses are wooden - not all though.

If you want a family brick suburb on the southside and you are only going to drive to the Mater I would choose one like Wishart.

Depending on how long it is going to be before you arrive you could also look at Rochedale Estates - a new planned community like forest lake, springfield lakes and north lakes but a lot closer to the CBD than any of them.

UBD Reference: 202 B15

Number of Lots/Product: 1002

Starting Price:

Stage 1: Land From $319,000

Stage 2: Land From $295,000

Facilities Nearby:

Westfield Garden City Shopping Centre.

Gateway Motorway access.

Numerous schools.

Pacific Motorway access to Brisbane CBD

& Gold Coast.

Date Construction to Start: Early 2009

Power, Water,

Sewerage, Notes: All underground services.

Let me know:

- whether you can shack or cannot shack (see post 2).

- whether you need public transport to the Mater or whether you just want commute times for driving (I assume 30 mins max?)

- whether you are willing to travel > 30 mins to get cheaper nicer houses (modern/pool etc) or you would rather liver closer with more plain house.

and I'll try to narrow it down more for you.

The average temps in Brisbane during winter are:

Jun: Min 11c Max 21c

Jul: Min 10c Max 20c

Aug: Min 10c Max 22c

Cooler than you think at night because a lot of houses only have limited heating.

Days are usually glorious with clear blue skies and very little rain. (Aug has winds)

----------------------------------

Previous Post 1.

In my opinion I think if you have to commute to the CBD every day then you should live in Brisbane and commute to the beach on the weekend. Why suffer 5 days of long commutes just to save a bit of a drive to the beach at the weekend. You probably wouldn't go the beach every weekend anyway and most people spend time in parks, their own pools, etc. which are available everywhere. Better still go to the fake beach in the middle of Brisbane at Southbank :)

Brisbane roads are getting so busy that I think you should consider this...again, just my opinion, some people may do the commute stress free.

Brisbane has been broken into transport hubs with each side of Brisbane generally having a designated hub (usually next to a large shopping mall). If you buy near these you generally will get a good commute.

South: Westfield Garden City - Upper Mt Gravatt

North: Westfield Chermside - Chermside

East: Westfield Carindale - Carindale

West: Indooroopilly Shopping Town - Indooroopilly (I think).

These are the hubs where the government is positioning more shops, jobs, transport etc.

These hubs are approx about 8-12km outside of the CBD. Any suburb along the traffic route between the hub and the CBD or feeding into the hub will usually have the best transport links. These will usually be buses.

Suburbs near the hub or along the route on the southside include: Wishart (very nice family suburb - kids playing on the street), Upper Mt Gravatt (busy but handy) and Mt Gravatt (some great pockets), Eight Mile Plains (big houses - multicultural), Holland Park (old money on the hill), Tarragindi (beautiful suburb full of trees).

Suburbs near the hub or along the route on the eastside include: Carindale (family suburb popular with greek and italian immigrants), Carina (nice local shops), Carina Heights (the heights make it), Camp Hill (getting closer in now), Norman Park (renovators galore), Coorparoo (mixture of busy shopping and quiet old world houses).

Suburbs near the hub or along the route on the westside include: Indooroopilly (Shops and groovy train station), Taringa (nice local shops and train), Toowong (busy shopping village plus some beautiful quiet area's with nice parks), Auchenflower (can almost walk to work from here), Paddington (my pick).

Suburbs near the hub or along the route on the northside include: Chermside (currently winning the biggest mall in Brisbane competition - we're a dull lot), <no idea - someone else please fill in>.

Train routes only serve some of Brisbane so are very suburb specific. Some people never live near a train their whole life.

My pick is the westside of Brisbane from Paddington outwards until you hit a suburb you can afford or a house size you can live with.

I have left out a huge number of suburbs with good transport - this is just to get you started as I know it must be confusing with so many to look at.

Previous Post 2.

I would like to add to my post something all people buying into Brisbane should know. You have to decide whether to shack or not to shack.

When I dragged my Geordie wife to Brisbane I explained to her that almost all houses in Brisbane used to be wooden - which explains why the first 10km or so from the CBD is almost all wooden house.

I'm not living in a bloody shack (said with Geordie accent) she insisted. After repeated attempts I gave up an we moved to the brick belt that really boomed in the late 70's onwards. You can now carbon date the rings around Brisbane from shacks to 70's brick, 80's brick, 90's brick, 00's brick as you go out.

The thing you need to know is that the more classical "shacks" are actually the most sought after, desirable houses in Brisbane. The inner city one's are the best and they usually get less desirable as you go out as the shacks become newer and more plain. They have their issues (draughts, maintenance etc) but are the most beautiful houses full of charm and detail. So the first question you must decide - can you buy an elegant Queenslander home or to you is it just a shack.

Note that after a few years my wife totally changed her mind and we are now looking at shacks.

So roughly the suburbs I listed above are:

Wishart - brick 80's to 00's

Eight Mile Plains - brick 80's to 00's

Upper Mt Gravatt - less desirable shacks and brick 70-80's

Mt Gravatt - less desirable to fair shacks

Holland Park - fair to awesome shacks

Tarragindi - less desirable to awesome shacks

Carindale - 80's to 00's brick

Carina - mostly less desirable shacks

Carina Heights - mostly less desirable shacks and brick 70's to 80's

Camp Hill - better shacks and brick 70's to 80's

Norman Park - some nice shacks

Coorparoo - nice shacks and some unusual (for Brisbane) English style homes.

Indooroopilly - nice shacks and brick?

Taringa - nicer shacks

Toowong - even nicer shacks

Auchenflower - shacks are even better

Paddington - best shacks overall

lol just read your post in my real geordie accent lol know what you mean though if i had a $1 for everytime an ozzie says i love ya scottish, irish accent could retire!

tell the wife we lived in heaton in newcastle moved to whitley bay then to gold coast if you ever fancy a get together 3 geordies and one oz/geordie let me know

lesley x

My Geordie parents in law said they spent a week in a b and b in yorkshire and made casual acquaintance with the couple at the next table - when they left to go back to Newcastle the couple wished them a good trip back to Scotland :)

I lived in Heaton for 6 months when I first got to Newcastle....I even joined the Heaton Sports and Social club or whatever the local mens club was called on Chillingham Rd just to see what they were like - accidently sat in the seat of a bloke who had been sitting in that same seat for 370 years or something like that - not a good start :)

We had our first date at Whitley Bay ice rink, proposed at Durham Cathedral and got married at St Mary's - a very NE romance :)

I might take you up on that get together one day - my wife's Geordie accent is morphing in strange and unusual ways into strine. She doesn't even say "disgusting" in the cool Geordie way (disgoostin) anymore :(

Guest snow white
My Geordie parents in law said they spent a week in a b and b in yorkshire and made casual acquaintance with the couple at the next table - when they left to go back to Newcastle the couple wished them a good trip back to Scotland :)

I lived in Heaton for 6 months when I first got to Newcastle....I even joined the Heaton Sports and Social club or whatever the local mens club was called on Chillingham Rd just to see what they were like - accidently sat in the seat of a bloke who had been sitting in that same seat for 370 years or something like that - not a good start :)

We had our first date at Whitley Bay ice rink, proposed at Durham Cathedral and got married at St Mary's - a very NE romance :)

I might take you up on that get together one day - my wife's Geordie accent is morphing in strange and unusual ways into strine. She doesn't even say "disgusting" in the cool Geordie way (disgoostin) anymore :(

lol lol god cant stop laughing, yes chillingam road in heaton is where my hubbies from he lived in a club down the road heaton meadowfield and i feel sorry for you if you dared sat in a seat someoen had been sitting in for years they own it lol,

whereabouts is your wife from in newcastle? is she enjoying her life in oz, i know my poor geordie husband misses his mates and the discussions over the bar counter on politics and premiership football, if we met up believe me it wouldnt be long before the full accent reappeared.

all the best

lesley

Archived