Renting with 3 doggies...HELP ??!!!

Guest jenny4nails

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest simon_fran

Good point, did we ever get an answer to this???

I'm flying over in 4 weeks with nowhere to stay, and a dog following close behind. As with most of you I have thought long and hard about leaving him, but I can't bring myself to do it.

I have read a few posts about people just lying about having a dog and taking the risk of being causght out. Does anyone have any experience of this??

Plus, if they don't mention "No pets" can I plead ignorance and just move him in a month down the line?

Cheers

Si

You shouldnt have much of a problem ,not sure id be wanting to lie about owning a dog though ,i have approached agents who have properties advertised as 'no pets' but are willing to allow outside pets so dont rule any houses out,just ask,good luck but im sure you will get sorted.

Cal x

I'm flying over in 4 weeks with nowhere to stay, and a dog following close behind. As with most of you I have thought long and hard about leaving him, but I can't bring myself to do it.

I have read a few posts about people just lying about having a dog and taking the risk of being causght out. Does anyone have any experience of this??

Plus, if they don't mention "No pets" can I plead ignorance and just move him in a month down the line?

Cheers

Si[/quote

]

Be a bit tricky when they come inspecting

Mally

Guest simon_fran

Be a bit tricky when they come inspecting

Mally

As they have to give 24 hours I'll mke sure he's being walked and his stuff is in the car

Guest simon_fran

Does anyone have any good contacts for pet-friendly short term rentals without searching the obvious..Realestate.com.au, Domain, pomsinPerth etc. It's becoming a bit of a pain

Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen
Does anyone have any good contacts for pet-friendly short term rentals without searching the obvious..Realestate.com.au, Domain, pomsinPerth etc. It's becoming a bit of a pain

Thanks

In Melbourne we can help with short term furnished pet friendly rentals, but not long term.

Guest The Pom Queen

Cheers

Si

Hi Si

I don't agree with lying as the landlord can terminate your lease, this then goes on to a Tennant Blacklist, it is a little bit like a credit reference check in the UK, it is a piece of software that all agents/landlords are privvy to, and if you owe them money or upset them your name goes on the black list and you will struggle to find a rental anywhere else in Victoria. This could be tragic for you just arriving in a new country. Take a look at this article: http://www.lawreform.vic.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/Law+Reform/Home/Newsroom/Media+Releases/LAWREFORM+-+Rental+blacklists+open+for+scrutiny

Saying this I know lots of Australians who are in rented accommodation and who illegally own a dog and, like you say, just hide it when it comes to inspections. However, if things go belly up and the landlord finds out, they do have family and friends they can stay with if they get blacklisted.

My husband runs Melbourne Pet Minders, and he is always asked to care for a dog or cat for the day whilst the landlords do an inspection. He offers a service where he will care for the dog until you locate a pet friendly rental and a few Australians have used this service, so it isn't because your a pom it is just hard to find a rental which will allow pets.

I think it is terrible because like yourself I am a mad animal lover. It is best if you can actually speak to a landlord direct instead of the agent when you have pets, because the agents will probably just throw your application out of the window without passing it to the landlord. I highly recommend offering a pet bond, although in Victoria, legally they are not allowed to accept a pet bond, but you could still try, I am sure some landlords would take you up on this. Have a read here for some other ideas: Melbourne Pet Minders Renting with Pets

Good luck and

Guest The Pom Queen

Cheers

Si

Hi Si

I don't agree with lying as the landlord can terminate your lease, this then goes on to a Tennant Blacklist, it is a little bit like a credit reference check in the UK, it is a piece of software that all agents/landlords are privvy to, and if you owe them money or upset them your name goes on the black list and you will struggle to find a rental anywhere else in Victoria. This could be tragic for you just arriving in a new country. Take a look at this article: Victorian Law Reform Commission - Rental blacklists open for scrutiny

Saying this I know lots of Australians who are in rented accommodation and who illegally own a dog and, like you say, just hide it when it comes to inspections. However, if things go belly up and the landlord finds out, they do have family and friends they can stay with if they get blacklisted.

My husband runs Melbourne Pet Minders, and he is always asked to care for a dog or cat for the day whilst the landlords do an inspection. He offers a service where he will care for the dog until you locate a pet friendly rental and a few Australians have used this service, so it isn't because your a pom it is just hard to find a rental which will allow pets.

I think it is terrible because like yourself I am a mad animal lover. It is best if you can actually speak to a landlord direct instead of the agent when you have pets, because the agents will probably just throw your application out of the window without passing it to the landlord. I highly recommend offering a pet bond, although in Victoria, legally they are not allowed to accept a pet bond, but you could still try, I am sure some landlords would take you up on this. Have a read here for some other ideas: Melbourne Pet Minders Renting with Pets

Good luck and I understand you have to do all you can to keep your dog close by. If you are in the position to purchase then maybe you

Guest The Pom Queen

Cheers

Si

Hi Si

I don't agree with lying as the landlord can terminate your lease, this then goes on to a Tennant Blacklist, it is a little bit like a credit reference check in the UK, it is a piece of software that all agents/landlords are privvy to, and if you owe them money or upset them your name goes on the black list and you will struggle to find a rental anywhere else in Victoria. This could be tragic for you just arriving in a new country. Take a look at this article: Victorian Law Reform Commission - Rental blacklists open for scrutiny

Good luck and I understand you have to do all you can to keep your dog close by. If you are in the position to purchase then maybe you could get away

Guest The Pom Queen

Cheers

Si

Hi Si

Good luck and I understand you have to do all you can to keep your dog close by. If you are in the position to purchase then maybe you could get away with it for a month or so. If you purchase a property over here you can complete

Guest The Pom Queen

Cheers

Si

Hi Si

Good luck and I understand you have to do all you can to keep your dog close by. If you are in the position to purchase then maybe you could get away with it for a month or so. If you purchase a property over here you can complete in 30, 60 or 90, so this may be another option.

Guest simon_fran

Thanks, I agree. I'd rather not be walking on eggshells and constantly worrying about the dog making any noise, or us being seen, but when you search for "pet-friendly" lets they are shocking.

I'm not saying it's an Oz thing, I agree with what you say, it's an agent thing. We have exactly the same problem in the UK.

I'm confident i can sort this out when I arrive, but at this rate the family will be living on the beach, which will probably keep the dog happy I suppose!!!

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks, I agree. I'd rather not be walking on eggshells and constantly worrying about the dog making any noise, or us being seen, but when you search for "pet-friendly" lets they are shocking.

I'm not saying it's an Oz thing, I agree with what you say, it's an agent thing. We have exactly the same problem in the UK.

I'm confident i can sort this out when I arrive, but at this rate the family will be living on the beach, which will probably keep the dog happy I suppose!!!

Where are you hoping to go?

Guest simon_fran

I have a job in Perth. I was initially after somewhere near the beach north of the city with a pool. Without the dog that's an easily atainable goal, with him it's impossible. I'm now just looking for anywhere with a roof!!

Archived