Drivers Licence - DVLA

Guest tahe49

Guest tahe49

For all those in OZ......

When you left the UK did you inform the DVLA or did you wait until you arrived and had an address to give them?

Fanks

:notworthy:

We haven't notified DVLA of our address in Oz so they still show our old UK address so I would be interested to know if anyone else knows what we should do there :err:

However, when you get to Oz you go to the local transport shop - they have loads dotted around in shopping centres over here - really good! take your UK licence plus some other stuff - passport complete with PR visa stamp, further ID preferably Aussie bank or medicare card plus confirmation of your address in Oz and they will give you an Aussie licence - you do not need to give up your UK licence.

Hope that helps

Lyn

I contacted the DVLA, and they said that they cannot put an overseas address on your driving licence. Told to put it in writing to them that you are leaving then they have it on record, but they will leave your old address on your licence.

So perhaps not worth bothering with!

P.S They charge you for your Aussie licence, and it needs renewing too! We bought a 5 year one, but you can get 1 or 2 years also I think.

Jo x

I contacted the DVLA, and they said that they cannot put an overseas address on your driving licence. Told to put it in writing to them that you are leaving then they have it on record, but they will leave your old address on your licence.

So perhaps not worth bothering with!

P.S They charge you for your Aussie licence, and it needs renewing too! We bought a 5 year one, but you can get 1 or 2 years also I think.

Jo x

Thanks Jo, u r a star!

$65 ish for a 5 yr licence if I remember rightly!

Lyn

Guest scotchchris

Hi ,once you are in oz for three months you are supposed to drive on an oz licence you may have to sit a test, at least in nsw you do mostly multiple choice and the bank of questions is on the net and a 20 min driving test but i was told by the assesor that coming from the uk the driving side was a formality as the testing standards were similar and that the asian countries were not so they pay more attention to them.also when you become a permanent resident you are not officially entitiled to a uk licence,i still have mine and it has my sisters address on it,chris

Archived