Sorry Ranga Day August 10th?

Guest Sam&Si

Guest Sam&Si

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone watches Summer Heights High? (a.k.a The second funniest programme on telly after Gavin & Stacey).

Anyway, can anyone tell me whether Sorry Ranga Day is actually happening this Sunday or it a wind-up? For those of you not familiar, 'Ranga' is short for orang-utan.... quote from official Sorry Ranga! website below:

It's time that the Australian population apologised for the indignity and degradation inflicted on red headed people and moved to a future based on mutual respect, mutual resolve and mutual responsibility.

The Ginger Generation, Blood-Nut, Ginger Megs, Bluey, Carrot Top, Ginga, Freckly Arms...and Ranga. The hatred has to stop!

Red-haired people across Australia have been unfavourably compared to orang-utans since Summer Heights High first aired across Australian television screens in 2007. 'Ranga' is now firmly entrenched in the vocabulary of ordinary people all over this country.

So join the Australian nation on Sunday August 10th 2008, and let a Ranga know that you are sorry.

Thoughts please.....

x

My daughter had red hair and this has been said to her a couple of times, she does ignore it now but I know she's been upset once or twice by it.

As far as I'm aware ... it's just something from the programme ... in reality how condecending would it be to do it?

Ali

As a redhead myself (although fading fast) i used to be called names like Ginger Moggie, Coppertop, and Duracell. So i don't find Ranga offensive.

However kids can be cruel so i could understand children becoming upset when confronted with name calling

Guest JoanneHattersley

Im a blonde! People have even said it to me. Cant say I found it that amusing to be honest!!!!!!!!!!

When you're older you can sometimes shrug off comments or pretend they're being taken in jest. When name calling becomes persistent .. then it's classed as bullying/harrassment and certainly for my daughter it caused some distress

Ali

Guest Tracey from Braintree

sorry, you lost me on the Summer Heights thing, never heard of it! Don't like the sound of the 'ranga' term though!

Guest Sam&Si

Wow, it's certainly out there then if people are actually using the word freely. I thought it just had to be a wind up but clearly I was wrong. Not sure what to make of it really. Be interesting to see if anything eventuates on Sunday.

(my husband has gingerish hair although he refers to it as 'autumnal brown'!)

Guest mandy1

Hi all

My son is a red head & he has to put up with being called a 'ranga' on a daily basis at school. I reckon the gingers need to unite (cathereine tate stylee) and give em some stick back!

Mandy

It did seem that people (kids!) started using 'Ranga' after Summer Heights High was first shown -and there was a fair bit of controversy about another aspect of the show so SHH became instantly more watched!-, but it certainly caught on....and yes, here in SA 'Sorry Ranga Day' has been advertised on the radio.

Whilst I guess the immature bit of me wants to smirk behind it's hand, but I don't want to be a PC killjoy, I'm not really comfortable with it. I've noticed on the oval, calling someone a 'ranga' is now more popular than calling them a 'gay' or 'Minda'. I suppose it's like anything...ok if it's not upsetting you.

Other than that, I think Chris Lilley is a very clever guy and I loved both his series.

:wubclub:LC

PS. Perhaps you could point out that red/auburn/strawberry blonde is so popular that 'ranga' wanabees pay good money to dye their hair that colour!:notworthy:

I pointed out to my daughter that so many people comment about how nice the colour of her hair is, and how I've paid out some good money to get some of those shades put in mine. As she's getting older, she can dismiss it, but she gets quite annoyed when people she doesn't even know (usually immature young men), walk past her and say it.

Ali

Archived