Switch from granted SC804 to application for SC864

VikramM

Hi,

SC804 (non-contributory) was granted last year for my parents. Now that they have lived for an year in Australia and feel more settled they plan to switch to SC864(contributory).

I order to do so need few clarifications -

1. Do we need to fill any form to surrender SC804?

2. As it will be a new application for SC864 is there a way some fee can be adjusted from what was paid for SC804 last year ?

thanks in advance!

Edited by VikramM

@VikramM, you said your parents were granted the SC804.   If that is not the case, and they only have a bridging visa, then there will be no adjustment of fees. 

I suggest you engage a migration agent because it is vital you complete each process in the correct order.    If you withdraw the application for the SC804 first, the bridging visa will be automatically cancelled and your parents will be in Australia illegally.  

I should have been clear upfront they were granted bridging visa based on SC804 last year and are in private insurance since then ..

now that they have lived here for about an year they feel it would be good to have Medicare facility that’s part of SC864 and were thinking if this switch of visas is possible with fee adjustment but as I gauge from responses there won’t be any fee adjustment and it would be a fresh application .

Thanks for your prompt response!

20 hours ago, VikramM said:

I should have been clear upfront they were granted bridging visa based on SC804 last year and are in private insurance since then ..

now that they have lived here for about an year they feel it would be good to have Medicare facility that’s part of SC864 and were thinking if this switch of visas is possible with fee adjustment but as I gauge from responses there won’t be any fee adjustment and it would be a fresh application .

Thanks for your prompt response!

You can switch to 864 and keep your queue date but you still won’t get Medicare! Medicare is only given once the visa is actually granted. It’s still likely to take  around 12 years on a bridging visa before 864 would be granted 

• 3 weeks later...