A little help!!

Hi,

I am a 40 year old teacher, qualified since 2006 and myself, my husband and two young kids want to moved to Australia. Can I have a little advise on the following:

1. I have just filled out the skills AISTL but yet to send off. Is this the first thing that we should do? Then the expression of interest and then the visa? After that do we apply to a State to work?

2. What type of visa would you recommend?

3. We are wanted to live, probably, in Qld. Do you think this is likely?

Thank you for any help. As I mentioned, I am all set to send of the skills assessment tonight but don't want to pay the money if it not the correct way?

Louise

My advice below but I would recommend get free consultation from migration agent. Google it as there are loads but make sure to check if registered migration agents. I have added a link to one I just found on google above. 

Step 1 - Check if your occupation is on Skills list - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skill-occupation-list

Step 2 - Do some research on type of visa available for your occupation, (pros- and cons), points required and etc. 

Step 3 - You need to look at your budget (it's expensive process), you should budget between £6-8k for application process alone. Then there is relocation and setting things up for long run (start planning).

Step 4 - Either go it alone or hire a migration agent who can guide you through the process.  

Step 5 - Depending on the visa you will more then likely required to do English test (IELT or PTE Pearson). Start prepping, not as easy as some people think. 

Step 6 - Get all your documentation (passports, birth certificates, degree, CV, references, driving licences, degree certificates, passport photo's and etc ) scanned and ready (earlier you start the better it is).

Step 7 - Once the above are in place you will be ready to to go through visa steps (again the steps are heavily dependant on type of visa, above is based on 491 is regional skills visa ).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Waz05
  • Like 1

@Waz05 has painted a pretty good picture.

I think they may have underplayed the cost of migration by the time you add in skills assessment, language tests, medicals, police checks and visa fees, for a family of 4 it's going to be nearer 8-10k

That isn't the expensive but though, it's the other stuff.

Flights, temp accommodation for 6-8 weeks and living expenses.

By the time I got my first paycheck in Oz (which was 2 months after landing) we had spent nearly £15k on all that stuff over and above just getting the visa. 

(We also bought a car and deposits for rental property but I haven't included those costs in the figure)

One qualification point, was your degree 4 years with classroom time (or 3 plus year long PGCE)?

Australia doesn't recognise the "on-the-job" entry to teaching that the UK does so if you don't have 4 years at uni and classroom teaching experience as part of those 4 years you won't pass the skills and registration bodies tests

• Like 2

I second Waz05's advice but don't waste your time with a free consultation.  There are agents that will do a free chat, but usually it's very preliminary and won't give you a clear enough idea.  If you're serious about migrating, invest the money in a proper, paid, one-off consultation with a MARA-registered agent.  Try Suncoast Migration, Go Matilda, Andre Burger, or Pinoy Australia. 

That's especially important for you, because you don't have time to waste. The older you get, the harder it is to migrate because the points system penalises age.  The cut-off is 45, so you don't have long to get your ducks in a row. 

As Ausvisitor says, you need a 4 year qualification to teach in Australia.  If you don't have that, no amount of teaching experience will compensate.

• Like 2