DAMA far north QLD

Please someone help me with questions about DAMA!

Getting so many conflicting responses online and generally get the impression it's so new no one really knows much about it? 

My occupation (midwife) is on the MTSOL. I'm looking at a 482 visa but am about to turn 43 so by the time I have 2 years working in Australia I will be too old to apply for a 186. My understanding is that if I work in an area that has DAMA status (in my case hopefully far north QLD) the age restriction for PR applications with my occupation is lifted to 50. Has anyone gone this route yet? I'm guessing if my occupation is on the list employers are desperate for staff so finding an employer to sponsor should be possible? I'm working with a recruiter but they obviously push the roles they earn commission from which is not this route so would likely be applying independently. 

I'm wondering why you're not applying for a permanent visa right now?    

The fact that an occupation is on the list doesn't mean employers are desperate, I'm afraid.   The lists are supposed to reflect occupations in demand, but they always lag behind reality.  I don't know what the demand for midwives is like but someone else may know. Having said that, the reason DAMA exists is because it's so hard to get staff to work in remote areas, which often have a lack of rental properties, poor infrastructure/lack of schools and often a challenging climate as well. 

Have you seen a good migration agent?   As you say, you can get a distorted view from recruiters because of their payment structure.  You don't have to hire the migration agent, just pay for a one-off consultation.   Then you'll know exactly where you stand, which will save a lot of time (and at 43, time is of the essence!).   Get quotes from Suncoast Migration and Go Matilda.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

My reason for not applying for PR visa now is lack of work experience. I'd need 3 years. I have just over 2. The most sensible thing to do would be to wait 9 months and apply for a 186 visa then I know, but on terms of kids and school moving this year is better. 

I've contacted GM and two other migration agents and they've all said they're too busy to take on new clients right now. Waiting for some I emailed yesterday to respond 

On 23/05/2023 at 11:45, greenl said:

Please someone help me with questions about DAMA!

Getting so many conflicting responses online and generally get the impression it's so new no one really knows much about it? 

My occupation (midwife) is on the MTSOL. I'm looking at a 482 visa but am about to turn 43 so by the time I have 2 years working in Australia I will be too old to apply for a 186. My understanding is that if I work in an area that has DAMA status (in my case hopefully far north QLD) the age restriction for PR applications with my occupation is lifted to 50. Has anyone gone this route yet? I'm guessing if my occupation is on the list employers are desperate for staff so finding an employer to sponsor should be possible? I'm working with a recruiter but they obviously push the roles they earn commission from which is not this route so would likely be applying independently. 

That's not really how it works ... it's important to realise that a DAMA is a formal agreement between the Commonwealth Government and a regional/state/territory authority which allows some employers in a specific area/region to sponsor employees outside the usual skilled migration programme framework. This may be by offering age, language or salary concessions to attract employees or including occupations not on the usual skills lists.

The DAMA is accessed by the employer and is an integral part of the nomination process for a TSS (or sometimes 186/494) visa application. You can't access DAMA concessions just by being in the DAMA area or through a non-participating employer.

The FNQ DAMA is open to midwives and offers an age concession of 55, provided you have an appropriate nominating employer.

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 1

I Live in Cairns FNQ, and am a Midwife, the local Hospital Cairns Public Hospital is always desperate for Midwives. The only Private hospital here is also more than likely stopping maternity services soon and all that activity will transfer to cairns public. 

They do under certain circumstances sponsor overseas applicants look at this link it will give you the information you need. https://www.cairns-hinterland.health.qld.gov.au/careers/international-applicants

Mind you be aware the climate up here can be challenging its great now in the dry season, but if you struggle with humidity it may not be the place for you.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for replying. I have so many questions about Midwifery over there, can I message you? 

I've been emailing HR/recruitment there but not getting much joy, they've forwarded my messages to the nursing and midwife recruiter but haven't heard back from them yet. There are a couple of roles on their website that sound ideal. 

Yep totally understand about the heat and humidity, lived in FNQ for a couple of months while travelling in my 20s. 

3 hours ago, greenl said:

Thanks so much for replying. I have so many questions about Midwifery over there, can I message you? 

I've been emailing HR/recruitment there but not getting much joy, they've forwarded my messages to the nursing and midwife recruiter but haven't heard back from them yet. There are a couple of roles on their website that sound ideal. 

Yep totally understand about the heat and humidity, lived in FNQ for a couple of months while travelling in my 20s. 

Happy to give you any information you need 

• Like 1

I completely agree there is a huge shortage currently for nurses and midwives. All states are completing for new hires. Currently Queensland health is offering an incentive package of up to $20,000 for any international or interstate midwife. I received this information below on the 24th of May

Queensland Health is made up on 16 Hospital and Health Services, 10 in regional, rural and remote locations. With hundreds of health jobs available in regional, rural and remote Queensland, we are recruiting. To register your interest in these opportunities, submit your application via the ‘Apply Now’ section on the Healthy Careers - Queensland Health site.

For information regarding the attraction incentive scheme which takes effect from 1 July 2023, please visit Attraction incentives | Healthy Careers - Queensland Health.

I am currently in SA and there is also a shortage here. The shortage is a global shortage at the moment.

Edited by Jenki75
  • Like 3