Renting with large family

greenl

We are a family of 7 (5 kids) and will need to rent for at least a couple of years when we arrive in Australia. Looking likely to be far north Queensland area.

In the UK it has been an absolute nightmare finding rental properties. Firstly, hardly any 4/5 beds ever come on the rental market. When they do, the competition is so fierce, 20+ viewings for every property so Landlords can afford to be super picky and 5 kids is never high on a Landlord's wishlist! Also pricing has gone from affordable to totally not, and letting agents are super strict about the 30xmonthly rent annual income ratio and are often choosing applicants with 60x

What kind of obstacles are we likely to face in this area of Australia? Our income should be in the region of $200k so budgeting around 800-1000AUD pw for rent. Will this meet the letting agent criteria? Obviously we will have no credit history in the country, will this be a problem? 

Also, timescales. Our recruiter is hoping we will have 6 weeks accommodation on arrival, is this enough time to secure a rental?

It will depend where you end up, but your description of the rental market doesn't sound very different from Australia.  In Sydney and Melbourne, you'd count yourself lucky if only 20 people showed up for a viewing.     

We started out in the countryside and found finding a rental extremely hard, not because of the cost but because there weren't many available.  Investors are more likely to buy city properties to rent out, because they offer better profits. We ended up house-sitting for a few months.   The rental, when we eventually got one, was an old run-down weatherboard house with a neglected garden.

Check out domain.com.au and realestate.com.au to get some idea, but be aware that agents photoshop the pictures shamelessly, so the property won't look as nice as it does in the photos. 

Hi @greenl, we live in far north Queensland (FNQ), just north of Cairns.

On an income of $200k/year and a budget of $800-$1k/week, you can live like a king/queen up here.

As Marisa said, the rental market is in some parts of Australia is tough but you shouldn't struggle up here too much - even with a big family. Take a look...

https://www.domain.com.au/rent/cairns-qld-4870/house/?bedrooms=4-any&price=500-1000&excludedeposittaken=1&sort=price-asc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greenl said:

Thanks, I've looked on domain and found plenty of suitable places, but no details at all about referencing, credit checks, income ratio etc. 

When I first arrived in Cairns I didn't have a pot to pee in, but the letting agent wasn't phased. I had a letter of employment, my ID documents, cash for the deposit and first month's rent, and I wore a suit. I'm sure it was the latter that sealed the deal! If you treat it like job-hunting and endeavour to come across as professional, you'll be fine - and well ahead of 99% of the applicants in these parts.

• Like 1

We have been renting since 2016 (in a nice bit of Sydney, long story why we haven't bought yet)

The market can be pretty feral in the bigger cities with large groups at showings.  Bigger properties will tend to be chased by either young house-share or families and agents do prefer families, in my experience.  I have never heard of a credit check or an "income ratio", you'll need proof of ID, probably either a rental reference or proof you've been paying a mortgage and a few bits like that but nothing as onerous as the UK sounds like.  The battle will be getting the agent to recommend you and that is more personality based than documents, as far as I've found...

As an aside you'll recalibrate your idea of 'big house' over here.  4 beds is the norm, 5 is common and 6 not at all unusual.  Our current place is a 'normal' sized family home in the burbs and has a kitchen, open plan lounge and separate dining area, a room that we use for the pool table and my home office as well as a separate office all on the ground floor.  Upstairs has a rumpus room, 4 beds with the master en-suite and a walk in robe.  Double garage and an outside shed.  And that was after we downsized from somewhere bigger!

Edited by AndrewMcD
  • Like 1

On 24/05/2023 at 19:18, greenl said:

Thanks, I've looked on domain and found plenty of suitable places, but no details at all about referencing, credit checks, income ratio etc. 

Have all your paperwork ready to go (or on USB). You will need copies of driving licences, passports, any paid up utility bills/ mortgage, any rental refernces you may have from prvious rentals (even holiday lets) and of course a copy of your letter of employment stating salary and / or a copy of a healthy bank account.

It is good to have a covering letter explaining your new to the country hence lack of Australian rental history etc etc..

Hope this helps

Cal x

• Like 1

I imagine that is a very healthy budget. You can even get a house in a reasonable part of Sydney on that budget, so I imagine you would get a palace in FNQ!

The market may be less competitive than Sydney. However, based on experience renting as a family in Sydney, I would suggest it's important to present yourself well and also exaggerating the length of time you intend to rent for. Suburban landlords tend to be very choosy about tenants: some don't like to rent to a family with kids, and o-one wants to have to find new tenants after only a year. Also,  if it's a property with a garden, committing to hiring a professional gardener can help beat out the competition. 

• Like 2

On 26/05/2023 at 21:10, calNgary said:

Have all your paperwork ready to go (or on USB). You will need copies of driving licences, passports, any paid up utility bills/ mortgage, any rental refernces you may have from prvious rentals (even holiday lets) and of course a copy of your letter of employment stating salary and / or a copy of a healthy bank account.

It is good to have a covering letter explaining your new to the country hence lack of Australian rental history etc etc..

Hope this helps

Cal x

Our rental journey wasn't straight forward...

We moved over without jobs, so no income/contract

We didn't rent in the UK and we had paid of our mortgage 6 years earlier so no proof of regular mortgage paying either.

In the end we showed the agent proof we had plenty of cash (we had the proceeds from selling a £600k house and a bunch of other stuff in the accounts) and got to know them well.

As others have said they want an easy life, someone with the money to pay the rent easily and easy to get on with works for an agent

However no amount of buddying-up or cash in the bank will get you over the need to be able to show 100 points of identification and without AUS citizenship that will require you having an AUS driving licence, TFN and bank account before you start applying (coupled with your foreign passport and visa) - so make sure you've got those things setup as immediate things to sort on landing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

Our rental journey wasn't straight forward...

We moved over without jobs, so no income/contract

We didn't rent in the UK and we had paid of our mortgage 6 years earlier so no proof of regular mortgage paying either.

In the end we showed the agent proof we had plenty of cash (we had the proceeds from selling a £600k house and a bunch of other stuff in the accounts) and got to know them well.

As others have said they want an easy life, someone with the money to pay the rent easily and easy to get on with works for an agent

However no amount of buddying-up or cash in the bank will get you over the need to be able to show 100 points of identification and without AUS citizenship that will require you having an AUS driving licence, TFN and bank account before you start applying (coupled with your foreign passport and visa) - so make sure you've got those things setup as immediate things to sort on landing.

That's great advice. Obtaining your Aussie driving licence and TFN should be your first priorities after you step off the plane.

On 31/05/2023 at 10:51, InnerVoice said:

That's great advice. Obtaining your Aussie driving licence and TFN should be your first priorities after you step off the plane.

Before any fellow non-drivers out there panic, its still possible to do the 100 points without a driving licence 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, InnerVoice said:

I hadn't thought of that! 😄

You have no idea how many discussions and even arguments I had with Aussie bureaucrats insisting I show my licence instead of my passport! I even got told a couple of times that EVERYONE has a driving licence so why wouldn't I just show it!! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

You have no idea how many discussions and even arguments I had with Aussie bureaucrats insisting I show my licence instead of my passport! I even got told a couple of times that EVERYONE has a driving licence so why wouldn't I just show it!! 🤣

I know a couple of people who have never had a driving licence - never driven a car but they have a photo ID card with dob and address on it.  They have never had a problem using that as ID.  They got the cards from Service Australia.  Need to be renewed every 5 years.  Just taken one of them up to get hers renewed.

Of course that's not much use if you've just arrived but it is very handy to have once settled if you don't have a driving licence.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DrDougster said:

Most people moving to Aus will take their birth certificate with them. That and your passport and a credit card is plenty (70,70,25).

Remember you'll need marriage certificate if changed your name.

The points seem to vary dependant on how you refer to:

This is one I found:

• Passport – 50 points
  • Drivers Licence – 40 points
  • Photo ID – 40 points
  • Current Vehicle registration – 20 points
  • Current Tenant Rent ledger – 20 points
  • Utility Bills with Current Address – 20 points
  • Bank Statement – 20 points
  • Centrelink Statement – 20 points
  • Birth Certificate – 20 points
  • Last 2 Rent Receipts – 20 points
  • Written rental reference – 10 points
  • Medicare Card – 10 points

On a LJ Hooker site it was:

MANDATORY ID:

• Drivers License or 30 Points
  • Proof Of Age Card or 30 Points
  • Passport 30 Points
  • Current Bank Statement 15 Points
  • Pay Advice, letter or statement* 15 Points
  • Tenancy History Ledger * or 20 Points
  • If renting privately your last 4 rent receipts. 20 Points

Choose from the following for remaining points:

• Previous Tenancy Agreement 20 Points
  • Rental Bond Receipt 20 Points
  • Motor Vehicle Registration 15 Points
  • Telephone Bill 15 Points
  • Electricity Bill 15 Points
  • Gas Account 15 Points
  • Pension Card 15 Points
  • Key Card or Credit Card 15 Points
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Non driving in FNQ would be interesting I suspect!

The bus service in and around Cairns isn't too bad, but if you want to go any further afield you've no chance without a car. Uber has become very popular to the point where it can be difficult to get one. I feel sorry for the poor souls I often see stranded at the bus stop, with their groceries withering away in the midday sun.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Non driving in FNQ would be interesting I suspect!

I think non-driving anywhere in Australia, outside the capital cities, would be very difficult.   No trains or trams and very few local buses.  

I recall when we arrived in country Victoria.  We got a train from Melbourne to Ballarat and then the headmaster had to come and collect us, as there was no bus to get to our country town. Then we were stranded there, until one of the other teachers gave us a lift into the nearest big town to buy a car. 

• Like 2

My neighbour doesn’t have a passport, can no longer drive. He has recently been told he must get an ID. Card from service Aus. By his bank. So far he has managed with Medicare card and belligerence! Born and raised in Australia and fortunately well known in the area! But rules are rules say the new manager……

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think non-driving anywhere in Australia, outside the capital cities, would be very difficult.   No trains or trams and very few local buses.  

I recall when we arrived in country Victoria.  We got a train from Melbourne to Ballarat and then the headmaster had to come and collect us, as there was no bus to get to our country town. Then we were stranded there, until one of the other teachers gave us a lift into the nearest big town to buy a car. 

Originally it was my choice, but now I couldn't drive anyway for medical reasons. I'm sure there are many others who have to cope one way or another without the convenience. 

It has been frustrating, but also funny at times. At one point I couldn't get a govt body to acknowledge that my current UK passport was valid ID. They sent me to Queensland Transport to get an ID card. QT laughed me out of the building saying they were for kids buying alcohol, and why would a 45 year old want one. There solution was "you are too old, you MUST get a driving licence" 😯

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Originally it was my choice, but now I couldn't drive anyway for medical reasons. I'm sure there are many others who have to cope one way or another without the convenience. 

It has been frustrating, but also funny at times. At one point I couldn't get a govt body to acknowledge that my current UK passport was valid ID. They sent me to Queensland Transport to get an ID card. QT laughed me out of the building saying they were for kids buying alcohol, and why would a 45 year old want one. There solution was "you are too old, you MUST get a driving licence" 😯

That's ridiculous.  The people I know who have an ID card have no problem using it at banks and wherever they have to produce ID.  They had to use all sorts of other ID e.g. passport, medicare card, copies of rates, bills etc at Service Australia when they asked for the ID card so it's as good as a driving licence.  Lots of people don't have a driving licence so QT need to get a grip.

• Like 1