sponsors assets for 176 visa

the randalls

Hi there...

My Aunt is sponsoring myself, my wife and my son.

She has been requested to provide information on her assets/savings by our CO.

As she is quite elderly and retired, her savings aren't huge.

Does anyone know, to put it in simple terms, how much money she needs to have in the bank that would be deemed sufficient in the eyes of the Australian Government?

Would appreciate any info.

Many thanks

Ted

Guest Gollywobbler

He Ted

The issue here is not really a set amount of money. Rather, it is about ensuring that the Sponsor is not trying to make an unrealistic commitment which s/he would not be able to fulfil adequately if push comes to shove.

If a new migrant arrives in Oz and falls on seriously hard times during their first two years in Oz, potentially they can go to Centrelink asking for Special Benefit:

Special Benefit

If the situation that has arisen is totally dire and is genuinely outside the new migrant's control, Special Benefit can be claimed before the initial two years expire.

The relly providing the offer of Sponsorship undertakes that if the new migrants should fall on hard times during their first two years in Oz, the Sponsor will see to it that they are provided with adequate food, clothing and shelter plus enough cash to get by on so that the new migrants cannot become eligible for Special Benefit instead.

Therefore what the CO is really worrying about is whether or not your Aunt would be in a realistic position to support all 3, or even one of you, if push comes to shove.

I don't know whether you have read about Billy Braveheart's current predicament? If not, he had a very, very bad car crash in Oz three weeks ago, is in Intensive Care and it is by no means certain that he will survive. They have been in Oz for just under a year. Billy is the main breadwinner for himself, his wife and their two sons. Calamities on this scale are EXTREMELY rare but they do occasionally happen.

Let us say that you have a similar accident and it kills you. Would your wife and son be able to support themselves in Oz without your income and without looking to Centrelink for help? Your Aunt is effectively saying that in this event, she would support your wife and son till they have been in Oz for two years so as to protect the State from having to step in and provide help instead. The CO is looking to see whether your Aunt could realistically do this or not.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

Thanks for the reply, we will be going over with a fair bit of money behind us ,as well as life insurance and good pension benefits also..

Our Aunt has 4 grown up sons with familys and pretty good assets , so having to claim any benefit is hopefully not going to happen..my wife has good qualifications and job currently, so would be able to support herself/my son.

We are just concerned about getting our visa as everything else has been passed by ASPC and its just this finance issue that is holding up our visa being given.

We don't currently know the extent of my Aunt's assets, as the family are still gathering that information together. I thought perhaps there had to be a minimum amount of savings, but your response makes more sense and has helped me to understand the process a little better.

Just looking really how we can reassure our CO.

Thanks Again..

Ted

• 2 years later...

Hi All, Our sponser being Jen's sister has raised concerns about the level of support the sponsor is required to offer. We have been told that our sponsor would not have to provide information on financials etc.

Therefore we are looking at a 175 visa. Would this be the right route or are there other options nows?

Thanks in advance.

Dean

Hi All, Our sponser being Jen's sister has raised concerns about the level of support the sponsor is required to offer. We have been told that our sponsor would not have to provide information on financials etc.

Therefore we are looking at a 175 visa. Would this be the right route or are there other options nows?

Thanks in advance.

Dean

Do you have enough points for the 175 visa? you require 120 for this one, whereas you only need 100 points with a family sponsor.

If you do have enough points, then there is absolutely no benefit in family sponsorship anyway and if it were me, I would not bother my relative with a load of form filling in.

Hi

I havent looked into family sponsorship but have lots of family that could sponsor me...what is the critera?.....do you still need to be on the skilled list?

Would apprieciate any info you have that you could pass on

Thanks

Sabrina

If you are talking about family sponsorship for a skilled migrant visa, then yes you would need to qualify for the skilled migrant visa in every other way. All the family sponsorship does is reduce the points requirement.

There are other types of family sponsorship of course, child visas, parent visas, partenr visas, last remaining relative visas. They are all sposnored by family too. Which did you mean?

Archived