Parley

The Voice Referendum

1 hour ago, InnerVoice said:

They're probably more concerned about their work colleagues categorizing them as racists, boomers, misogynists, gammons, or some other term thrown at middle-aged white folk who've worked hard all their lives, paid their taxes, and made Australia a very desirable country for all.

Dont worry Ill stare them down and correct them. Im a minority so I could call them out on their lies. 

Edited by renebascossarabi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/05/2023 at 13:00, simmo said:

Evil white man obs.

As if White men were the only ones capable of evil!?

African Americans complain of muh slavery but historically it was their fellow Africans who enslaved them and sold them to European merchants most of these crypto (Le Merchant). 

Night and day they complain of their slavery but what about the Arab and North African slave trade which targeted Europeans and still occured well after the British and Spanish already banned slavery...

Of course, silence from my fellow ethnic people.

White countries like Europe and America should be open to immigration! While Africa and Asia should remain racially pure...

Smh.

• Like 3

In recent polls support for the voice has slipped to below 50% and lower than the No response.

To pass a referendum needs an absolute majority over 50% and also by a majority of states. So 4 out of 6 States need to vote Yes for it to win.

This is not looking good for the Yes camp as all the advertising doesn't seem to be helping their cause.

• Like 2

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Opposition legal affairs spokeswoman Michaelia Cash has declared Australia will be “irreparably damaged forever” if the referendum on an Indigenous voice to parliament succeeds, claiming Anthony Albanese wants to permanently divide the country based on race.

Speaking on the government’s Constitution Alteration Bill, which is due to pass the Senate next week, Senator Cash said it was extraordinary Australians did not know how the permanent, constitutionally enshrined body would work or how many tens of millions of dollars it would cost taxpayers.

“Never did I think that I would rise in this place and speak on a bill that by its very substance seeks to intentionally divide our great country, based on race, forever,” Senator Cash said.

“If the referendum that is proposed by this bill is successful, the nation that we know today will be irreparably damaged forever. This bill will destroy one of our most fundamental values – equality of citizenship … We will no longer be one together, we will have become two divided. That is what Mr Albanese wants to do to our country.”

• Like 4

The Voice seems doomed to fail.

Shouldn't they just cancel it now and avoid the divisive campaigns?

29 minutes ago, Parley said:

A political stunt gone wrong

• Like 1

We should just let Tom Jones decide.

image.png.7bc0caa57181fa92c4f4232fb6f2310c.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Is there a date yet for the vote? I don't follow AMSM because it's so excruciating, but when it arrives please inform me so I can vote an emphatic 'No'.

• Like 2

Australian Citizen since 2007 | Returned to the UK between 2008-2011 | QLD resident for over 20 years

All advice and opinions I provide on PomsInOz are solely my own and are general in nature. I am not a migration agent, accountant, tax expert or financial adviser, and my insights are no substitute for professional advice. I strongly encourage you to seek the guidance of qualified professionals for specific concerns. I do not assume any responsibility for actions taken based on the information provided in any of my posts, and if you choose to act on this information then you do so entirely at your own risk.

2 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

Is there a date yet for the vote? I don't follow AMSM because it's so excruciating, but when it arrives please inform me so I can vote an emphatic 'No'.

I’ve spoken with several Aboriginals and they have all asked for a no.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

It hasn't been announced officially but may be October 21st.

• Thanks 1

I work with many indigenous people and their communities in WA. They question who will be representing them and because of this will vote No. They are not aware of any invitation to be involved with the Voice from a practical point of view. With so many mobs in a vast country how can you represent all of them? Every area has indigenous councils, committees and advisory panels. Isn't this enough? We have indigenous students who will successfully complete university education without paying a penny, I'm not against this as they can lead their local communities in the future whilst being educated and having such positive experiences. That's one example of many including indigenous traineeships, mentoring, programs etc. I'd prefer more of this than a new group in Canberra.

• Like 4

AITSL assessment complete-09/10/2014 | IELTS L8.5, R8, W8.5, S8.5. -13/12/2014 | EOI submitted 07/01/2015 (65) invite 09/01/2015 | 189 Visa applied - 10/01/2015 | Meds -20/02/2015 | PCC-08/03/2015 | Visa granted! - 20/03/2015.

6 hours ago, benj1980 said:

I work with many indigenous people and their communities in WA. They question who will be representing them and because of this will vote No. They are not aware of any invitation to be involved with the Voice from a practical point of view. With so many mobs in a vast country how can you represent all of them? Every area has indigenous councils, committees and advisory panels. Isn't this enough? We have indigenous students who will successfully complete university education without paying a penny, I'm not against this as they can lead their local communities in the future whilst being educated and having such positive experiences. That's one example of many including indigenous traineeships, mentoring, programs etc. I'd prefer more of this than a new group in Canberra.

I agree with your points regarding the lack of representation the Voice will provide, but I wasn't aware of indigenous students being entitled to free university education unless they receive a scholarship.

Australian Citizen since 2007 | Returned to the UK between 2008-2011 | QLD resident for over 20 years

All advice and opinions I provide on PomsInOz are solely my own and are general in nature. I am not a migration agent, accountant, tax expert or financial adviser, and my insights are no substitute for professional advice. I strongly encourage you to seek the guidance of qualified professionals for specific concerns. I do not assume any responsibility for actions taken based on the information provided in any of my posts, and if you choose to act on this information then you do so entirely at your own risk.

2 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

I agree with your points regarding the lack of representation the Voice will provide, but I wasn't aware of indigenous students being entitled to free university education unless they receive a scholarship.

Oh it's through scholarships, but there's plenty of them. In fact over the last few years every indigenous student who has gone to university has received one at my school.

Edited by benj1980
  • Like 1

AITSL assessment complete-09/10/2014 | IELTS L8.5, R8, W8.5, S8.5. -13/12/2014 | EOI submitted 07/01/2015 (65) invite 09/01/2015 | 189 Visa applied - 10/01/2015 | Meds -20/02/2015 | PCC-08/03/2015 | Visa granted! - 20/03/2015.

Personally I think Albo’s actions over his visit to Alice Springs tells me all I need to know, he was shamed into a trip there to see the disorder, the town centre cleared of undesirables and gone within 3 hrs. 
more interested in his trip to tennis open in Melbourne. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Personally I think Albo’s actions over his visit to Alice Springs tells me all I need to know, he was shamed into a trip there to see the disorder, the town centre cleared of undesirables and gone within 3 hrs. 
more interested in his trip to tennis open in Melbourne. 

Irrelevant.  The Voice didn’t come from Labor 

• Haha 1

On 13/06/2023 at 12:52, Parley said:

Opposition legal affairs spokeswoman Michaelia Cash has declared Australia will be “irreparably damaged forever” if the referendum on an Indigenous voice to parliament succeeds, claiming Anthony Albanese wants to permanently divide the country based on race.

Speaking on the government’s Constitution Alteration Bill, which is due to pass the Senate next week, Senator Cash said it was extraordinary Australians did not know how the permanent, constitutionally enshrined body would work or how many tens of millions of dollars it would cost taxpayers.

“Never did I think that I would rise in this place and speak on a bill that by its very substance seeks to intentionally divide our great country, based on race, forever,” Senator Cash said.

“If the referendum that is proposed by this bill is successful, the nation that we know today will be irreparably damaged forever. This bill will destroy one of our most fundamental values – equality of citizenship … We will no longer be one together, we will have become two divided. That is what Mr Albanese wants to do to our country.”

It's starting to sound like the Australian Brexit. I'm starting to wonder if referendums are the way forward. We elect these governments, surely they can represent us? And if we don't like it we change them. That's what democracy is isn't it?

• Congratulations 1

1 hour ago, Blue Manna said:

It's starting to sound like the Australian Brexit. I'm starting to wonder if referendums are the way forward. We elect these governments, surely they can represent us? And if we don't like it we change them. That's what democracy is isn't it?

It will be is the vote is 'yes', and you are spot on about referendums. Maybe the only exception is if it surrounds a social issue where people may feel strongly due to religious beliefs, for example the survey we had on same-sex marriage in 2017. Although technically it wasn't a referendum, the government legislated in favour based on the results.

Tony Abbott talks a lot of sense as he usually does.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2023 at 13:43, Blue Manna said:

A bit like the Swiss government who present such a form of democracy on a regular basis. 

As for your comment on 'changing them' though. Not so easy with our system as in UK. A government can be formed on an minority number of votes with first past the post system.

On 31/07/2023 at 14:55, Bulya said:

Irrelevant.  The Voice didn’t come from Labor 

Very relevant, he is the PM he is pushing for a yes vote actions speak louder than words, if he cares so much the tennis should have been put on the back burner what’s more important the people of the nation or photo opportunities with the rich and famous. 

• Like 1

It is relevant in the way the government is pushing for a Yes vote, using tax payers money in the process. Besides a 'cosmetic', overt appearance of attempting to do 'something' on a very difficult front, just what will be achieved? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Parley said:

Tony Abbott talks a lot of sense as he usually does.

I’d be very surprised if it’s even that close to be honest 

8 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Very relevant, he is the PM he is pushing for a yes vote actions speak louder than words, if he cares so much the tennis should have been put on the back burner what’s more important the people of the nation or photo opportunities with the rich and famous. 

No different than Herr Kipfler 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Bulya said:

No different than Herr Kipfler 

Haven’t a clue who you mean 

2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Haven’t a clue who you mean 

Think about it…

• Haha 1