Can you apply for 482 whilest waiting for 186

Hi everyone 

Just wondering if anyone knew whether it is possible to apply for a 482 whilest waiting for a 186de offshore? We have been waiting 5 months and my husbands employer is getting impatient is there any way we can get out there quicker? we are so worried we will lose his sponsor because its taking so long

Is your employer suggesting that as a way forward?  What does their agent say?

There's nothing to stop them doing that, but you need to be aware of the risks.   Remember that their migration agent is advising them on the plan that suits THEM best, and it may  not be in your best interests.

The main risk (that I can think of) is that you can apply for two visas, but you can only hold one.  If they apply for the 482 and then the 186DE is granted, the employer will have to be very quick to withdraw the 482 application.  If they forget or are too slow, the 482 might then be granted and that would wipe out the 186DE.  

Also remember that you need to negotiate terms for the 482 with the employer.  On the 186DE you've probably got less of a relocation package, because you'lll get a permanent visa and therefore you're willing to fund a lot of the move yourself.  With a 482, you've got no certainty that you'll ever get a 186, so you should assume you're only making a temporary, short-term move.  Given the high cost of relocating, you need the employer to fund air fares, shipping, and temp accommodation on arrival, otherwise it could turn out to be a very expensive adventure.

On 28/04/2023 at 21:37, Andreamorey said:

Hi everyone 

Just wondering if anyone knew whether it is possible to apply for a 482 whilest waiting for a 186de offshore? We have been waiting 5 months and my husbands employer is getting impatient is there any way we can get out there quicker? we are so worried we will lose his sponsor because its taking so long

The current published processing time for a 186DE is anywhere between 3 to 13 months, so you may still have a long wait ahead.

Yes you can lodge a 482 but this will be costly for the employer/sponsor and there are risks which need to be managed.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a similar situation with my 186-DE  application. The application was filed end of Jan and still shows are in-process. Was there an update on your application since you last posted?

• 2 weeks later...