Visa review report

LindaH27

15 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Initially everyone thought it is a good news. However, when the details of the report came out, it came as a surprise! Replacement of permanent visa model with a lottery 🙂 it will be quite unfair to the existing applicants who have waited for a bit now

9 minutes ago, muz068 said:

Initially everyone thought it is a good news. However, when the details of the report came out, it came as a surprise! Replacement of permanent visa model with a lottery 🙂 it will be quite unfair to the existing applicants who have waited for a bit now

Don't understand what you mean by a lottery? They aren't going to pick people at random, they are proposing that instead of a desperately outdated skills list, they try and get people who actually fit into where thee is a skills shortage, and do away with people arriving with no hope of working.

Some parts of the migration system desperately need an overhaul - wait times for parent visas, people on bridging visas for many years, people leaving (or not even arriving in) their sponsoring state for the 190, and many more.

Edited by Nemesis

Just now, muz068 said:

It’s a suggestion not a fact and did say they would have to look at how it would impact  applicants already in the queue. They mentioned the cist# & parents on contributory visas costing a lot but totally neglected to say that the biggest costs were from 804 and some from 864. They were very “ anti” towards what  they referred to as “permanent temporary visas”  though, which could mean bridging visas as a whole. They won’t look properly at the parent visas till later as the current priority is skilled workers. Guess it’s wait and see if any  clues in the budget.

Apprently in the lottery version it will be  whether the sponsor  can afford to look after the applicant and  whether the applicant can self support  so it could lead to only wealthy  being able to apply ?? 

4 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Don't understand what you mean by a lottery? They aren't going to pick people at random, they are proposing that instead of a desperately outdated skills list, they try and get people who actually fit into where thee is a skills shortage.

Some parts of the migration system desperately need an overhaul - wait times for parent visas, people on bridging visas for many years, people leaving (or not even arriving in) their sponsoring state for the 190, and many more.

The parent visa was mentioned as perhaps being a lottery 

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/reports-and-pubs/files/review-migration-system-final-report.pdf

Read from Page 140 onwards.

Edited by LindaH27

8 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

It’s a suggestion not a fact and did say they would have to look at how it would impact  applicants already in the queue. They mentioned the cist# & parents on contributory visas costing a lot but totally neglected to say that the biggest costs were from 804 and some from 864. They were very “ anti” towards what  they referred to as “permanent temporary visas”  though, which could mean bridging visas as a whole. They won’t look properly at the parent visas till later as the current priority is skilled workers. Guess it’s wait and see if any  clues in the budget.

Apprently in the lottery version it will be  whether the sponsor  can afford to look after the applicant and  whether the applicant can self support  so it could lead to only wealthy  being able to apply ?? 

Yes, my oyster concern is how this would impact the numbers in May 2023 budget as we were thinking (or at least I was) that the numbers would go up. However, from the report there is no indication if this will happen.

Yes, the lottery system if introduced should give some consideration to existing applications especially those in 2017/18, however not sure how this will happen though 

At the end of the day, what was presented by the minister yesterday was vey high level and short on detail. The legislation is still some way off, so little point at this stage jumping at shadows! - Generally, the proposed reforms are being well received but many groups out of self interest are whinging and whining. The harsh reality is that the reform is about both fixing a broken system, overhauling it so it is better positioned to address skills shortages. What was reassuring was the minister recognises processing times have been unnecessarily long and they will be attempting to fix that with suggestions, some visa applications will be decided within days as opposed to months and years. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Elliott said:

At the end of the day, what was presented by the minister yesterday was vey high level and short on detail. The legislation is still some way off, so little point at this stage jumping at shadows! - Generally, the proposed reforms are being well received but many groups out of self interest are whinging and whining. The harsh reality is that the reform is about both fixing a broken system, overhauling it so it is better positioned to address skills shortages. What was reassuring was the minister recognises processing times have been unnecessarily long and they will be attempting to fix that with suggestions, some visa applications will be decided within days as opposed to months and years. Stay tuned!

So parents waiting in excess of 6 years are “whinging and whining?”  Australia needs more skilled workers definitely - like a lot of other countries in the world. But when people have been told their parent visa will be granted in 18-24 months of course they are upset when it gets to 6 years and still no end in sight! And a lot of those new skilled workers would like to have their family with them. 

The system definitely needs updating. As already mentioned Australia made a mistake with 804 applicants on bridging visas which could last the rest of their lifetime and which  for many also grants Reciprocal health care which adds to the cost for Australian tax payers. . Unless they provide a quicker solution,  all that report has done by saying parent visas won’t be discussed yet,  is to probably encourage even more to apply for 804 before its possibly abolished so Australia is actually encouraging the one thing they don’t want - thousands more on bridging visas, as people decide they’re fed up waiting and change from 143 to 804 or decide they’re not even going to apply for 143 just go straight for 804. It would be difficult to change it retrospectively - they couldn’t  deport those thousands already onshore  without a huge outcry. 

• Like 3

Yes, I'm expecting a surge in new parent visa applications.

This is what happened a few years ago when a VAC increase was the concern of the day - look at the number of applications in May 2017 and June 2017: 17,790 CP visa applications in those two months alone.

Onwards!

Edited by Alan Collett

5 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

Yes, I'm expecting a surge in new parent visa applications.

This is what happened a few years ago when a VAC increase was the concern of the day - look at the number of applications in May 2017 and June 2017: 17,790 CP visa applications in those two months alone.

Onwards!

Were there really 17,790 applications - I thought it was 9000 ? 

On 28/04/2023 at 14:40, Alan Collett said:

Yes, what we have now is a parent visa program that is (IMHO) dysfunctional.

Having tens of thousands of parents living in Australia on Bridging Visas isn't a desirable state of affairs.

I'll be preparing a blog on the subject in the next day or two.

Best regards.

Yes we will be waiting for your blog

Hi. I applied for 143 in Aug 2021. I understand I'll need to wait for some years to be assessed before being put in the queue, if eligible. What should I expect to have to submit when the time comes for that initial assessment for queuing? Will my sponsor/son need to be in Australia at that time or is it just medical check and submission of documents on my part? What if my son happens be working abroad at that time? He plans to go abroad for 2 years or so for some international work experience. Appreciate some advice. Thanks😊🙏

On 28/04/2023 at 15:26, LindaH27 said:

So parents waiting in excess of 6 years are “whinging and whining?”  Australia needs more skilled workers definitely - like a lot of other countries in the world. But when people have been told their parent visa will be granted in 18-24 months of course they are upset when it gets to 6 years and still no end in sight! And a lot of those new skilled workers would like to have their family with them. 

The system definitely needs updating. As already mentioned Australia made a mistake with 804 applicants on bridging visas which could last the rest of their lifetime and which  for many also grants Reciprocal health care which adds to the cost for Australian tax payers. . Unless they provide a quicker solution,  all that report has done by saying parent visas won’t be discussed yet,  is to probably encourage even more to apply for 804 before its possibly abolished so Australia is actually encouraging the one thing they don’t want - thousands more on bridging visas, as people decide they’re fed up waiting and change from 143 to 804 or decide they’re not even going to apply for 143 just go straight for 804. It would be difficult to change it retrospectively - they couldn’t  deport those thousands already onshore  without a huge outcry. 

Linda - I'm not sure where I singled out "parents" as the whingers and whiners. There are many groups who are totally frustrated with the current dysfunctional state of affairs. Indeed there are too many to mention. While the Government recognises the entire program is overdue a complete overhaul, it has decided to prioritise skills visas. This doesn't mean parents, partners or business migrants aren't important, its just that skills are of a higher priority for the Australian economy. At the moment, many top quality candidates have been putting Australia on the "too hard basket" instead preferencing other countries with faster pathways to PR. I'm pretty sure from the minister's comments, reform will extend to the family streams in due course.

5 hours ago, Steve Elliott said:

Linda - I'm not sure where I singled out "parents" as the whingers and whiners. There are many groups who are totally frustrated with the current dysfunctional state of affairs. Indeed there are too many to mention. While the Government recognises the entire program is overdue a complete overhaul, it has decided to prioritise skills visas. This doesn't mean parents, partners or business migrants aren't important, its just that skills are of a higher priority for the Australian economy. At the moment, many top quality candidates have been putting Australia on the "too hard basket" instead preferencing other countries with faster pathways to PR. I'm pretty sure from the minister's comments, reform will extend to the family streams in due course.

Posting in  a forum which is mostly about parents does tend to look as though you are talking about that group! Partners now seem to be ok getting their visas as it’s not capped but demand driven. 

Edited by LindaH27

3 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Posting in  a forum which is mostly about parents does tend to look as though you are talking about that group! Partners now seem to be ok getting their visas as it’s not capped but demand driven. 

Hate to niggle with you Linda, but its a subforum for Family/Partner Visas, and many of us follow it for the Partner Info more than the Parent info. I think Steve's post was fair enough, we don't all assume that every post s aimed at Parent Visas 🙂

5 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Hate to niggle with you Linda, but its a subforum for Family/Partner Visas, and many of us follow it for the Partner Info more than the Parent info. I think Steve's post was fair enough, we don't all assume that every post s aimed at Parent Visas 🙂

Yes it is a mixed forum but partner visas are not capped, are easier to get and don’t have huge long wait lists. In fact I believe some partner visas are being granted in as little as 4 months.  So are you saying Steve was referring to partners complaining? I’m not sure why they would given it’s much easier to get than a Parent visa. It can’t be skilled visas because the focus is on them now and apparently the hope is that some will be granted in days according to the report! The report states that Parents visa will only be dealt with later on not as the same time as the others. So parents do have more to complain about and probably are becoming more vociferous as the wait drags on and on. The longer it drags on the more parents run the risk of failing the Medicals as they age and  is a concern for many especially when the report also mentions the possibility of a lottery, or removing  permanent Parent visas and reducing the 3 or 5 year 870 to a 12 months in 18 months stay. None of it exactly inspires  hope in parents that they will ever get their visa 

Edited by LindaH27

6 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes it is a mixed forum but partner visas are not capped, are easier to get and don’t have huge long wait lists. In fact I believe some partner visas are being granted in as little as 4 months.  So are you saying Steve was referring to partners complaining? I’m not sure why they would given it’s much easier to get than a Parent visa. It can’t be skilled visas because the focus is on them now and apparently the hope is that some will be granted in days according to the report! The report states that Parents visa will only be dealt with later on not as the same time as the others. So parents do have more to complain about and probably are becoming more vociferous as the wait drags on and on. The longer it drags on the more parents run the risk of failing the Medicals as they age and  is a concern for many especially when the report also mentions the possibility of a lottery, or removing  permanent Parent visas and reducing the 3 or 5 year 870 to a 12 months in 18 months stay. None of it exactly inspires  hope in parents that they will ever get their visa 

Clearly I don't know who Steve was referring to specifically as my psychic powers aren't working this week 😄 , but I do know although some Partner Visas come through quickly, not all do, especially if a Partner from a High Risk country is involved. And I have seen complaints from Partner applicants on this very forum, not all justified maybe, but when some are waiting 2 or 3 years whilst others are granted in 3 months, maybe those are justified. 

Parents Visas do have many more huge issues, I don't disagree with that, but most visa applicants are only interested in the speed of grant for their own class, ad really aren't bothered about what happens in other classes. 

My point really was just that this sub-forum is for all family visas, so I don't think any of us can assume that a post is about a particular visa subtype unless that subtype is specified 🙂

9 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Clearly I don't know who Steve was referring to specifically as my psychic powers aren't working this week 😄 , but I do know although some Partner Visas come through quickly, not all do, especially if a Partner from a High Risk country is involved. And I have seen complaints from Partner applicants on this very forum, not all justified maybe, but when some are waiting 2 or 3 years whilst others are granted in 3 months, maybe those are justified. 

Parents Visas do have many more huge issues, I don't disagree with that, but most visa applicants are only interested in the speed of grant for their own class, ad really aren't bothered about what happens in other classes. 

My point really was just that this sub-forum is for all family visas, so I don't think any of us can assume that a post is about a particular visa subtype unless that subtype is specified 🙂

I accept what you say. I hope you also understand  that the post by Steve was wrong to comment on people “whinging and whining”  whichever group he was referring to. Most people are aware that getting an Australian visa is not  an easy path to tread. As others have said parent visas are a very dysfunctional group of visas