Employee Sponsorship

I have been offered a role within the company I work as a managing Consultant in recruitment to transfer to Australia from the UK. They have said they will speak to the immigration team around September where I will have around 3 years experience within my field. Without a relevant degree I k ow I would need 5 years experience but as a retail manager the previous 19 years with some recruitment experience I am looking for advice on my chances of gaining a VISA. Thanks

You are wise to ask for independent advice, because obviously it's in the company's interest to paint a rosy picture of your chances. 

Though it's a cost, the quickest way to get an honest evaluation is to pay for a one-off consultation with a good agent.. I recommend Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda. 

24 minutes ago, Hayley Hardy said:

Thank you for your email. My company are willing to transfer me all at their cost. So other than getting myself excited I have nothing to lose really. I was looking to see what my chances would be really. Thanks 

What costs are they covering?  The cost of the visa and all your relocation expenses, including settling in?  Plus all your costs to relocate back to the UK at the end of your contract?

If you're single or a couple with no kids, just sit back and enjoy the ride.  If you've got a family to support and you're hoping this move will lead to a permanent move to Australia, different story.

Hi Marisa 

They support with all relocation costs, visas, air fair, moving our goods over and help with accommodation at the beginning. They wil also provide the air fare on return at the end of the visa. We are moving over with myself and husband and 2 teenage kids. We won't be sure if we want a permanent move until we're there and though this may be possible that's something we can consider down the line. It sounds as though you have had or have heard of bad experiences? Thanks 

4 hours ago, Hayley Hardy said:

Hi Marisa 

They support with all relocation costs, visas, air fair, moving our goods over and help with accommodation at the beginning. They wil also provide the air fare on return at the end of the visa. We are moving over with myself and husband and 2 teenage kids. We won't be sure if we want a permanent move until we're there and though this may be possible that's something we can consider down the line. It sounds as though you have had or have heard of bad experiences? Thanks 

The biggest red flag could be the children. Depending on their ages, you are asking them to probably move twice between very different school systems. And if they are older teens, they must remain dependent on you if you hope to get PR. 

In addition, depending on which State you are heading for, you may have some very large school fees if you are on temporary visas. 

• Like 1

And the problems of moving with teenage kids could seriously disadvantage them academically. Australian school results  don't travel quite as easily back to UK as you may think if that is the path you take. Then there are international student fees for kids who haven't lived in UK for the 3 years before uni (assumimg their ATAR are adequate for the course they want). If there are teenagers involved I would consider leaving them behind and boarding with someone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hayley Hardy said:

Great, that sounds like an excellent relocation package. 

The reason I questioned it, is that it's unusual for companies to be that generous these days.  They rely on people being so eager to get to Australia, they'll pay most of their own costs.  The result is often that families spend upwards of £30,000 on the move, have a few years in Australia, then have to shell out another £30K to move home.  It then becomes a very expensive adventure. 

The other risk is that the "transition" from temporary to permanent is not nearly as smooth as it sounds and is far from guaranteed.  Some families make the mistake of selling everything up before they move to Australia, then buy a home in Australia and lease cars, only to fail in their application for permanency.  Because they had to pay a surcharge on the house purchase as a foreigner, they're likely to make a fat loss on the sale of the home and be stuck with cars they can't pay off, on top of their relocation costs. 

If you're aware of these pitfalls and plan to avoid them, then it's a great opportunity for an adventure and widen the children's horizons.

Edited by Marisawright