Health Insurance

Guest The Haydocks

Guest The Haydocks

Hi All,

We are presently going through the temporary visa process (457) and I have been trying to do some research on Private Health Insurance in Oz as we are not entitled to Medicare.

It all seems a bit of a mine field :?

I would be grateful for some advice from people who have health insurance in Oz regarding good companies, how the system works etc.

Do you get charged an excess everytime you go to the doctors?

Any advice would be welcomed

The Haydocks

Guest Nelson

I'm not entirely sure but my understanding is that reciprocal agreements exist between U.K. and Australia much the same as in Europe for medical emergencies.

I'm sure plenty other people will be able to advise properly but I can say that I visited a doctor with my daughter and paid $20 dollars for an anti-biotic prescription medicine and then had to see a consultant. That cost $134, $50 dollars which we had to pay, the rest was covered by Medicare. I suppose it gives a bit of a guideline. As for Private Health Insurance, there are dozens of companies and all offer different packages. One thing to be mindful of though is that denistry is a separate deal unless specifically included.

Good luck with the research!

Guest Bex & Nick

Hiya

We're not in Oz yet but are also looking into private health insurance at the moment. If you haven't already seen it, there's some useful info. by the Private Health Insurance Admin Council at

http://www.phiac.gov.au/

From what I understand, Medicare will cover you for "necessary" treatment under the reciprocal agreement with the UK, but I'm not entirely sure what this does actually cover. If I find out shortly, I'll let you know!

Just another thought, in SA at least you might want to consider ambulance cover. I think it's $107 p.a. per family and saves paying $600 if you need to use one and haven't got cover. Some health funds offer this cover.

Hope this helps

Bex

Archived