Temporary and permanent visa medical in one

DXW059

Hi, 

Wondering if anyone can clarify this please - if we go for a visa medical for a temporary visa and when asked if we intend to apply for PR within 12 months we say yes and therefore are assessed from a medical point of view for both temporary and permanent visa applications, would we find out if we pass the permanent visa medical shortly after? i.e. before actually applying for PR? 

On 19/04/2023 at 11:51, DXW059 said:

Hi, 

Wondering if anyone can clarify this please - if we go for a visa medical for a temporary visa and when asked if we intend to apply for PR within 12 months we say yes and therefore are assessed from a medical point of view for both temporary and permanent visa applications, would we find out if we pass the permanent visa medical shortly after? i.e. before actually applying for PR? 

I've only heard of people hearing that they've passed the medical by the status of their medical changing on their visa application changing from received to approved (or possibly to finalised - it's been a while since mine was done) so I don't know how you would find out you passed without making an application.  I also have doubts about the department's ability to link a previous medical to your new application. I think you might need to contact the clinic to add the application number to the medical report.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say they are 2 totally separate things. I also found that question confusing.

The case officer only assesses what's in front of them. So if you apply for a TSS 4-Year visa, they only consider all information about your medicals for the length of the visa you are applying for (4-Years). They then grant your TSS visa based on that information.

Medicals are valid for 12 months I believe, but if you apply for PR it's a whole new visa with a new case officer etc. They would then look at your medical in a different way. If costs are involved, they would then assess them for a maximum of 10 years.

Also bear in mind, for a 482 you can get by with just having a medical sometimes. I didn't have a chest x-ray, blood test etc. I'm pretty sure that these are required for a PR.

So once you are granted TSS - Case closed. Applying for PR - new case open, re-assess everything again!