Should we move to WA from SA

Jem

11 hours ago, ramot said:

Not all the Sunshine Coast has Noosa prices

5578EA19-21A0-412E-8D6F-9636296C4B34.jpeg

@ramot that couple of million I glibly mentioned would be our budget for the property and our retirement fund, but in practice we have about half of that amount

We have a lovely 4-bedroom house in Cairns in beautiful location and once we've cleared the mortgage we should have about $600k, so the Sunny Coast is well out of our price range, unless we take on another mortgage (which rather defeats the object of retiring).

I think those living in property hotspots sometimes lose track of just how much more expensive their areas are when compared with the rest of Australia. The median house price here in Cairns is around $550k.

4 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

@ramot that couple of million I glibly mentioned would be our budget for the property and our retirement fund, but in practice we have about half of that amount

We have a lovely 4-bedroom house in Cairns in beautiful location and once we've cleared the mortgage we should have about $600k, so the Sunny Coast is well out of our price range, unless we take on another mortgage (which rather defeats the object of retiring).

I think those living in property hotspots sometimes lose track of just how much more expensive their areas are when compared with the rest of Australia. The median house price here in Cairns is around $550k.

Wish you all the best with wherever you end up. I posted the information in case it helped, like anywhere prices have gone up to a crazy high level here, as so many people wanted to move here, during covid enabling people to work from home.xM

• Like 1

On 23/04/2023 at 15:58, Jessica Berry said:

It looks as though from previous posts you were going to Victoria, then Geraldton, came to Adelaide, then considering a move to Perth and now perhaps Queensland.  I am just wondering if what you are looking for is in Australia.  Is your husbands job the main motivator for moving because you mention job opportunities for your husband in both your considerations of Perth and Queensland?

Years ago it was Victoria as was most likely to get sponsorship pre Covid. Husband got a job in Geraldton went for a reccy and was a no from him.

was always between Perth and qld but husband got a job in Adelaide and we went with that as seemed an easy option to have some security on arrival…

• Like 2

I lived in Perth for 11 years and, once you're used to it, it's cold at night for nigh-on half a year. I worked on the Sunny Coast in winter for a bit and that was lovely, 25 in the day. But I expect that the summer can be too hot.

With hindsight, I wouldn't advise anyone to relocate just for the weather, you'll still end up moaning about it, just a different moan. There's a lot of time where it's either too hot or too cold. In Perth spring and autumn are the best months.

• Like 5

It's worth bearing in mind that La Niña has made things surprisingly cool and wet in Adelaide for the last few years - by all accounts that's coming to an end now so things should warm up again in future years. I've also read that we're probably likely heading for El Niño in 2023 so that means hot, dry weather.

I came here in 2012 and the first 5-6 years I was here the summers were noticeably longer and hotter, with week-long 40+ degree heatwaves being a fairly regular occurrence so I wouldn't take the last couple of years as a sign of what typical Adelaide weather is like. Personally, I've quite enjoyed the last few cool summers as it makes daily life a bit more bearable - especially when dragging a couple of young kids around. I agree it's not been great for the beach though.

As mentioned above, it's warmer year-round the further north in Australia you go, but with that also comes increased humidity and UV levels. In Adelaide, we only really need sunscreen for around 6 months of the year as outside of those months the max UV drops below 4. You don't have to go very far north before the minimum UV level is above 4 which means ideally sunscreen should be worn outside at all times of year. Up in Queensland the minimum UV levels are very high all year round, making it an absolute necessity.

I personally love the 6 months of the year where the whole family doesn't have to butter up with factor 50 every time we leave the house for any significant length of time.

It's also worth keeping things in perspective - I have a couple of outdoor hobbies and remember vividly the weeks and weeks of endless drizzle and heavy rain which was absolutely guaranteed during UK winters (and springs, and autumns). Even in winter, daytime rain lasting any longer than an hour or two is relatively rare in Adelaide and once it stops the low humidity means everything dries up pretty quickly. Up north you'll need to contend with the wet season which means you might be rained in more than you think.

If it's the weather that's the primary reason behind you considering moving elsewhere then I'd give it a few more years to really experience what is usual for Adelaide. If your husband is in defence then Adelaide's probably going to be a good place to be over the next few decades. Once he's got his citizenship many more opportunities should open up for him on that front 🙂

Edited by llessur
  • Like 5

Those days when people say it's 40 degrees, they're pointless; that's way too hot. When I first got there I remember sending my mates a message saying "41 again today", it was a novelty. Once that wears off, and you're left to deal with your day-to-day life, you realise 40 degrees is pointless. You can't do anything in it other than look for some respite.

If it's 10 degrees, you can put a coat on and go out. If it's 40 degrees, you're sat in the house with the a/c on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, s713 said:

Those days when people say it's 40 degrees, they're pointless; that's way too hot. When I first got there I remember sending my mates a message saying "41 again today", it was a novelty. Once that wears off, and you're left to deal with your day-to-day life, you realise 40 degrees is pointless. You can't do anything in it other than look for some respite..

I agree to a point. But humidity comes into this. A 40c day in Adelaide is manageable and isn't that bad. In Brisbane it's a lot harder.

I agree, I will still go out walking in 40 degrees in Adelaide or go to the beach. 
I used to love the heat in Spain too.  It amazes me that people come for the weather then complain it is too hot! 
I do find it cold in the winter here though, don’t mind wrapping up but usually fly north to Queensland for a spell.

With the 40 degree days you just need to plan a bit better perhaps and make sure you're not exposing yourself to the sun at the peak times of the day. Nothing better than a dog walk first thing in the morning, setting you up for the day in a manageable heat. Workplaces have aircon, so it's not all doom and gloom... 

9 hours ago, benj1980 said:

With the 40 degree days you just need to plan a bit better perhaps and make sure you're not exposing yourself to the sun at the peak times of the day. Nothing better than a dog walk first thing in the morning, setting you up for the day in a manageable heat. Workplaces have aircon, so it's not all doom and gloom... 

Certainly not all doom and gloom.  It can be challenging to adapt if you're not a morning person though, because evenings get dark fairly early even in summer so they're not as good an alternative. 

I think the point is that a lot of people come to Australia imagining they won't have to plan, and that they'll be out and about all day in gorgeous weather,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Certainly not all doom and gloom.  It can be challenging to adapt if you're not a morning person though, because evenings get dark fairly early even in summer so they're not as good an alternative. 

Don't get me started on the lack of DST up here, it's the bane of our lives. Who knows, once the generation who think their curtains will fade quicker and the cows won't know when to get milked are finally put out to grass themselves, we might see a change. I'll not hold my breath though - this is Queensland!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think the point is that a lot of people come to Australia imagining they won't have to plan, and that they'll be out and about all day in gorgeous weather,

Yes good point, some people forget they will have to go to work as well!

• Like 1

I’m thinking of doing a road trip from Newcastle NSW up to Sunshine Coast in July. I think along here is what we are looking for.

I’m really keen on looking into areas are Newcastle - I keep hearing positive things.

we love road trips, walking and adventures as a family. I think we need to do a little reccie and then focus on one area.

I think Perth could feel too isolated for me

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jem said:

I’m thinking of doing a road trip from Newcastle NSW up to Sunshine Coast in July. I think along here is what we are looking for.

I’m really keen on looking into areas are Newcastle - I keep hearing positive things.

Good idea.   One thing about Newcastle -- it's easy to get the wrong idea of it.  Parts of the city centre are downright dull.  Also like any large-ish city, it has a few dodgy suburbs and the last time I went there, the road in seemed to go through all of them!    It gives a misleading impression.  There are some lovely areas.

https://newywithkids.com.au/moving-to-newcastle-a-guide-for-families

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Good idea.   One thing about Newcastle -- it's easy to get the wrong idea of it.  Parts of the city centre are downright dull.  Also like any large-ish city, it has a few dodgy suburbs and the last time I went there, the road in seemed to go through all of them!    It gives a misleading impression.  There are some lovely areas.

https://newywithkids.com.au/moving-to-newcastle-a-guide-for-families

Hey I’ve been looking at this page which is really helpful.

ive spoken to others who rate the areas surrounding.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2023 at 22:54, Marisawright said:

That's a good point. The height of summer in Perth was waking up at 5am because it's cracking the flags already, walking the dogs at 6am because it's a 'mild' 28 degrees, going to work or, at the weekend, going to the shops or pictures to avoid the heat, heading home for 35 degree heat in the dark at 7pm, putting the a/c on (or the fan as the a/c is way too cold) to sleep.

It's not always like that, spring and autumn are great, and there are good winter days. But when the summer's like that, once you're used to it, it ceases to be much fun.

My experience anyway, I know some people like that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jem said:

we love road trips, walking and adventures as a family. I think we need to do a little reccie and then focus on one area.

I've made this trip many times and there are a lot of lovely little towns to explore between Newcastle and Coolangatta (southern end of the GC) and some nice coastal walks too, so I'm sure you'll have a great trip. There's nothing remotely on the scale of Adelaide or Perth though, and finding work can be problematic depending on what you do.

31 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

I've made this trip many times and there are a lot of lovely little towns to explore between Newcastle and Coolangatta (southern end of the GC) and some nice coastal walks too, so I'm sure you'll have a great trip. There's nothing remotely on the scale of Adelaide or Perth though, and finding work can be problematic depending on what you do.

Newcastle's getting there.  If you include the Hunter region which is commutable, I think it's up around 700,000.   Plenty of demand for essential workers like teachers, social workers, tradies, engineers (mining industry).  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Newcastle's getting there.  If you include the Hunter region which is commutable, I think it's up around 700,000.   Plenty of demand for essential workers like teachers, social workers, tradies, engineers (mining industry).  

I was surprised to learn that Newcastle has grown to that size, but you're right. It states on Wikipedia that the population has increased by 50% between 2011 and 2021, which I assume is mainly Sydneysiders who've cashed in and moved out. It seems to have a bad reputation with the older generation of Australians but I've always liked the place - it's got bags of character.

42 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

I was surprised to learn that Newcastle has grown to that size, but you're right. It states on Wikipedia that the population has increased by 50% between 2011 and 2021, which I assume is mainly Sydneysiders who've cashed in and moved out. It seems to have a bad reputation with the older generation of Australians but I've always liked the place - it's got bags of character.

When I arrived in Australia in the 1980's, Newcastle was a depressing industrial town, dominated by the steelworks.  Once that closed in the 1990s, everyone thought the city would die, but the opposite happened.   it reinvented itself and became a vibrant place. 

The trouble is, most people outside Newcastle still remembered the old grungy city, and that attitude seems to have been passed down through the generations.  I only know different because at one point, I worked for a company with a large satellite office in Newcastle, so I visited a lot, and discovered the cafes and restaurants were just as good as Sydney, the beaches were fabulous and the people were friendly.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jem said:

I can only help with living on the Sunshine Coast, and not with the work opportunities. 

July usually has beautiful winter weather, sunny clear blue skies and reasonably warm in the middle of the day, chilly at night. 

Most schools have a good reputation, the families that I know have a great life here, lots of sports  all  the usual clubs eg scouts, guides, nippers. Great beaches,  Many families seem to go camping at every opportunity. There are of course the usual problems that exist everywhere, but it generally feels a safe place to live,  property has increased in price, and houses are still selling quickly.

Brisbane airport is an hour away, an hour and a quarter to the center of Brisbane on a clear run, , but the traffic can be bad at rush hour, busy at weekends, and bad if there is an accident. Lots of road works at the moment between S Coast and Brisbane prior to the Olympics in 2032, but should eventually make it a lot better.

Maroochydore airport covers most internal routes.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

We have lived in all three states mentioned (QLD, SA and now WA). For what its worth, here's my tuppence worth;

QLD: Nice weather all year round but can get extremely humid in summer. So much so that after 25 years we moved to WA where it's still very sunny but much less humid.

SA: Only spent a year living here and didn't like it at all tbh. Too cold and wet most of the time (maybe we struck and unusual year!) but couldn't wait to get back to Queensland!

WA: Been living here now for 9 months and absolutely loving it! Yes, the winter is cold and wet but you just know that summer is fantastic. Six months of near perfect weather (No rain, sunshine all the way and temps hovering around 32 degrees) - a perfect Mediterranean climate if you ask me. We're wondering why we didn't make the move 25 years ago!

Another bonus to WA is the house prices. Where else in Australia can you be within an hour of the capital city (which is fantastic btw!) have beaches and countryside on your doorstep, fantastic public transport if you need it, cheaper utilities and, as an added bonus, it's full of Brits and STILL be able to buy a house under $500K?

Done deal!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BobHatton said:

We have lived in all three states mentioned (QLD, SA and now WA). For what its worth, here's my tuppence worth;

QLD: Nice weather all year round but can get extremely humid in summer. So much so that after 25 years we moved to WA where it's still very sunny but much less humid.

SA: Only spent a year living here and didn't like it at all tbh. Too cold and wet most of the time (maybe we struck and unusual year!) but couldn't wait to get back to Queensland!

WA: Been living here now for 9 months and absolutely loving it! Yes, the winter is cold and wet but you just know that summer is fantastic. Six months of near perfect weather (No rain, sunshine all the way and temps hovering around 32 degrees) - a perfect Mediterranean climate if you ask me. We're wondering why we didn't make the move 25 years ago!

Another bonus to WA is the house prices. Where else in Australia can you be within an hour of the capital city (which is fantastic btw!) have beaches and countryside on your doorstep, fantastic public transport if you need it, cheaper utilities and, as an added bonus, it's full of Brits and STILL be able to buy a house under $500K?

Done deal!

Glad you're still loving life in WA Bob

• 3 months later...
On 19/04/2023 at 02:39, JZT said:

Hey Jem! We really like it so far, though I am struggling a bit at the moment which is frustrating as it’s something we wanted to do for so long. I think the reality of knowing no one has sunk in a bit. My husband loves it! 
We are in Brighton, what suburb are you in? 

Hope you don't mind me asking, but have things settled for you? 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2023 at 06:39, SophW said:

Hope you don't mind me asking, but have things settled for you? 🙂

Hey @SophW thanks for asking 😊 yes I feel like it has. We’ve been here 8 months now and I feel like we’re (probably more me as my husband hasn’t had the same wobbles I have) finding our feet now. We’ve made some lovely friends & are starting to socialise more which has been really great. Adelaide is a beautiful place and a lovely place to live. 
I don’t know what the future holds long term with regards to where I’d want to live but I suppose it is still early days and time will tell. 

• Like 3