Should we move to WA from SA

Jem

Hi wanting some opinions on moving interstate to Perth.

We are currently in Adelaide. We have been here for 7months now.

We like it but not exactly what we moved to the other side of the world for. We had originally wanted to go to Perth but partner got job offer in Adelaide. So we went with that.
The people have been lovely and we have met some nice people.

We have ended up getting the kids in school in a suburb that is very expensive - no chance of buying there. It’s also quite built up - and around 15 mins from the city. The school is great and much better than the uk school they were at.

The weather is already starting to get cold in Adelaide. We arrived in the September and was freezing then and didn’t warm up until around mid November. So we have had around 3.5 months of ‘beach’ weather and I can only see it getting colder from now! 

What I have learnt is that everyone’s ‘wants’ are different and what might suit one may not suit another! For example I feel personally we like hot weather, we don’t feel need for seasons and are quite happy being warm most of the year. 

Also we aren’t big City people so being close to the city is not a priority of ours. But we don’t want to be too rural! We want opportunities for the kids, but that doesn’t have to be close to the city.

Can people share their experiences of moving interstate?

Also affordable suburbs in Perth with good school’s primary and secondary.

Has anyone moved out of Adelaide? What was your experience?

Thanks! 

Please no negativity! I’m sure Adelaide suits many people!

• Like 2

The further north you go in Australia, the hotter the weather gets.    The further south, the cooler. 

Look at a map and you'll see that Perth isn't much further north than Adelaide.    Because of that, the difference in winter temperatures is only 2 or 3 degrees.  Is that going to be enough to make a difference?  If you really crave mild winters with bright blue skies, then the place to go is Northern NSW or Queensland.

If you are in a field like health or teaching, then don't overlook regional cities, where you'll get a lot more house for your money.  For instance, Newcastle is a large, vibrant city with great beaches, plus vineyards on your doorstep (and Sydney only two hours away on the train for a big city treat).  If you're willing to live somewhere smaller, then consider places like Coffs Harbour, Lake Macquarie, Tweed Heads.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The further north you go in Australia, the hotter the weather gets.    The further south, the cooler. 

Look at a map and you'll see that Perth isn't much further north than Adelaide.    Because of that, the difference in winter temperatures is only 2 or 3 degrees.  Is that going to be enough to make a difference?  If you really crave mild winters with bright blue skies, then the place to go is Northern NSW or Queensland.

If you are in a field like health or teaching, then don't overlook regional cities, where you'll get a lot more house for your money.  For instance, Newcastle is a large, vibrant city with great beaches, plus vineyards on your doorstep (and Sydney only two hours away on the train for a big city treat).  If you're willing to live somewhere smaller, then consider places like Coffs Harbour, Lake Macquarie, Tweed Heads.  

Hello. You know what we really considered NSW but felt like I have met lots of people from nsw moving to Adelaide. Or are the just moving from Sydney to Adelaide as they still need a city…hmmm

i keep hearing Sydney is so expensive to live! And I think I am generalising NSW.

to be honest nsw looks right up my street! But I feel like we would have to live regional to be there. Also is it more expensive all round ? Apologises for my ignorance.

we have 3 boys who are into soccer and one who is very good! So opportunities are important to us. I’m a social worker. My husband in aerospace but he’s used to working in more advanced places then Adelaide offers.

53 minutes ago, Jem said:

Hello. You know what we really considered NSW but felt like I have met lots of people from nsw moving to Adelaide. Or are the just moving from Sydney to Adelaide as they still need a city…hmmm

Yes, a lot of people move from Sydney to Adelaide due to the astronomical house prices in Sydney and all the commutable areas around it.   Go outside the commutable ring and prices are much more reasonable.  Newcastle is literally half the price of Sydney for an equivalent home in an equivalent suburb, for instance.   

Aerospace -- hmm. No idea what opportunities would be available for him.  Sounds like that would be the first thing to research.  Newcastle has an airport and there's a Defence airport at Williamstown as well.  Defence do outsource a lot of services now, so might be worth a look. I think I've seen Boeing up there.

Edited by Marisawright

30 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, a lot of people move from Sydney to Adelaide due to the astronomical house prices in Sydney and all the commutable areas around it.   Go outside the commutable ring and prices are much more reasonable.  Newcastle is literally half the price of Sydney for an equivalent home in an equivalent suburb, for instance.   

Aerospace -- hmm. No idea what opportunities would be available for him.  Sounds like that would be the first thing to research.  Newcastle has an airport and there's a Defence airport at Williamstown as well.  Defence do outsource a lot of services now, so might be worth a look. I think I've seen Boeing up there.

There is a lot of defense work here in Adelaide but the issues is they want citizenship in order to get clearance which has been holding him back.

that’s why we were thinking Perth as he has contacts on the mining industry, where he could potentially work.

I think his Job is a big one. There lots of work In Victoria for him but we just don’t want the weather. 

will look into NSw

Thanks 

35 minutes ago, Jem said:

There is a lot of defense work here in Adelaide but the issues is they want citizenship in order to get clearance which has been holding him back.

that’s why we were thinking Perth as he has contacts on the mining industry, where he could potentially work.

There's mining around Newcastle too.

16 hours ago, Jem said:

i keep hearing Sydney is so expensive to live! And I think I am generalising NSW.

to be honest nsw looks right up my street! But I feel like we would have to live regional to be there. Also is it more expensive all round ? Apologises for my ignorance.

we have 3 boys who are into soccer and one who is very good! So opportunities are important to us. I’m a social worker. My husband in aerospace but he’s used to working in more advanced places then Adelaide offers.

I doubt if Perth is more advanced than Adelaide. In fact quite a lot of similarities. Rentals are hard to find. We have comparable beaches and I'd suggest a longer summer . The negatives are the isolation and cost of going anywhere else. A parochial mentality and a most inept State government that completely ignores the substantial issues facing the state. 

"we don’t feel need for seasons and are quite happy being warm most of the year."

We moved to Perth from the UK in January. I too like warm weather for much of the year. I have already found it getting chilly in Perth and it's only April. If you truly want to be warm most of the year and don't mind humidity I'd be looking at QLD/northern NSW instead. I fear you would come to Perth and overtime would end up having similar feelings about the climate that you're having in Adelaide now. 

• Like 1

If you want to be warm all year around have a look at SE Qld.. We are an hour south of Brisbane city, an hour inland from the Gold Coast and approx 1.5 hrs from the NSW border. Weather is great all year round, albeit with a handful of stinking hot days in summer. July and August tend to be our colder months, hubby never wears anything but shorts but i don the jeans and hoodies of an evening.

Cal x

On 16/04/2023 at 17:15, Jem said:

If your kids are into soccer they probably should have stayed in Europe, soccer over here is about in a par with the National League North (i.e. 6 divisions below the premiership)

I listened to Gary Lineker on a podcast they other day, he was talking about kids that are "very good" at football. He cited Chelsea's academy which has over 700 kids in it who are all "excellent" yet in the last 15 years only 6 of them have made it though to the premiership and less than 50 to any sort of professional role.

That said soccer is the biggest participation sport in Australia (NSW certainly) by miles so they won't have trouble finding teams 

21 hours ago, calNgary said:

If you want to be warm all year around have a look at SE Qld.. We are an hour south of Brisbane city, an hour inland from the Gold Coast and approx 1.5 hrs from the NSW border. Weather is great all year round, albeit with a handful of stinking hot days in summer. July and August tend to be our colder months, hubby never wears anything but shorts but i don the jeans and hoodies of an evening.

Cal x

Hmmm I feel like QLD might be our state! I’ve always had this feeling we should have gone! 

there is a company on the Gold Coast who does what my husband is skilled in and he’s tempted to make contact ! 

there are a lot of positives about Adelaide and the kids school is amazing !

it’s tough ! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

If your kids are into soccer they probably should have stayed in Europe, soccer over here is about in a par with the National League North (i.e. 6 divisions below the premiership)

I listened to Gary Lineker on a podcast they other day, he was talking about kids that are "very good" at football. He cited Chelsea's academy which has over 700 kids in it who are all "excellent" yet in the last 15 years only 6 of them have made it though to the premiership and less than 50 to any sort of professional role.

That said soccer is the biggest participation sport in Australia (NSW certainly) by miles so they won't have trouble finding teams 

Yes agree Europe is better for soccer. But like you said very few make it. A reason we didn’t stay.

but I think I want them to be challenged still in the sport and have good quality coaching and opportunities to play interstate .

i wouldn’t want them in some rural area, with a lower quality set up 

• Like 1

We just arrived in Adelaide from the UK 7 weeks ago so it’s all very new to us.

One of the families who used the same migration agent as us arrived in Adelaide just a few weeks ago and had a similar feeling to you, it just wasn’t quite what they wanted from the move so they have already moved on and gone to Sunshine Coast. 
I’ve not seen any updates since they moved so I’m not sure how they’re finding it all so far.

Perhaps it’s worth your husband reaching out to the company on the Gold Coast and seeing if that could be a possible option for you? Nothing to lose by having a conversation 😊

1 hour ago, JZT said:

We just arrived in Adelaide from the UK 7 weeks ago so it’s all very new to us.

One of the families who used the same migration agent as us arrived in Adelaide just a few weeks ago and had a similar feeling to you, it just wasn’t quite what they wanted from the move so they have already moved on and gone to Sunshine Coast. 
I’ve not seen any updates since they moved so I’m not sure how they’re finding it all so far.

Perhaps it’s worth your husband reaching out to the company on the Gold Coast and seeing if that could be a possible option for you? Nothing to lose by having a conversation 😊

Hey how are you finding Adelaide ? Which suburb are you in ?

• Like 1

Hey Jem! We really like it so far, though I am struggling a bit at the moment which is frustrating as it’s something we wanted to do for so long. I think the reality of knowing no one has sunk in a bit. My husband loves it! 
We are in Brighton, what suburb are you in? 

Edited by JZT

On 16/04/2023 at 15:36, Jem said:

The weather is already starting to get cold in Adelaide. We arrived in the September and was freezing then and didn’t warm up until around mid November. So we have had around 3.5 months of ‘beach’ weather and I can only see it getting colder from now! 

What I have learnt is that everyone’s ‘wants’ are different and what might suit one may not suit another! For example I feel personally we like hot weather, we don’t feel need for seasons and are quite happy being warm most of the year. 

Up here in Cairns we very much look forward to our winters, which I'm pleased to say is just around the corner. Be mindful that it becomes more humid the further north you go as well as hotter, and that humidity can make the summer months very unpleasant - even in S E Queensland. I don't think you'll know whether you miss the seasons until you no longer have them, so be careful what you wish for. That said, those I know who live down in Brisbane enjoy the climate and the lifestyle it affords (a good 6 months of beach weather), and most of the people I know in Cairns see a move further south as part of their long-term plan - including ourselves!

• Like 1

I've just come back from Adelaide and loved it. It did remind me of Perth in many ways but I enjoy living in WA. Can't say the chill has kicked in for me yet. I was sat in the God's at the Dockers game yesterday with shorts on, admittedly with a hoodie and very comfortable. I don't think I'd enjoy the Queensland humidity of summer.

• Like 1

yes the Sunshine Coast is hot and humid during summer, but you would be daft not to have reverse cycle air con and fans , just as you would be daft not to have central heating in UK for winter. It certainly isn’t too hot and humid to be out and about, but probably avoid the middle of the day if you are local. 

Realistically the humidity is there for the 3 summer months, people adapt, and then most of us love the perfect weather for the other  9 months of the year,  Winter can feel a bit chilly, but I enjoy the change and wearing trousers and a light jumper for a change, and a jacket in the evening but that  need is only about 6 weeks. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

On 19/04/2023 at 11:09, JZT said:

Hey Jem! We really like it so far, though I am struggling a bit at the moment which is frustrating as it’s something we wanted to do for so long. I think the reality of knowing no one has sunk in a bit. My husband loves it! 
We are in Brighton, what suburb are you in? 

Welcome to Adelaide.  We were in the same position of not knowing anyone when we arrived, but we have a good group of friends now.  When we came over, we were quite focused on getting settled, finding jobs and a house and everything that entailed, that the first year seemed to whizz by.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jessica Berry said:

Welcome to Adelaide.  We were in the same position of not knowing anyone when we arrived, but we have a good group of friends now.  When we came over, we were quite focused on getting settled, finding jobs and a house and everything that entailed, that the first year seemed to whizz by.

Hey Jessica! Thankyou! That’s great to hear, how long have you been here now? What area did you settle in? 
I’m trying to pull myself out of the funk and change what I can, such as looking to join the gym which was a huge thing for me back in the UK and hopefully make some friends for my little boy too. 

On 18/04/2023 at 17:47, Jem said:

Hmmm I feel like QLD might be our state! I’ve always had this feeling we should have gone! 

there is a company on the Gold Coast who does what my husband is skilled in and he’s tempted to make contact ! 

there are a lot of positives about Adelaide and the kids school is amazing !

it’s tough ! 

It looks as though from previous posts you were going to Victoria, then Geraldton, came to Adelaide, then considering a move to Perth and now perhaps Queensland.  I am just wondering if what you are looking for is in Australia.  Is your husbands job the main motivator for moving because you mention job opportunities for your husband in both your considerations of Perth and Queensland?

1 hour ago, JZT said:

Hey Jessica! Thankyou! That’s great to hear, how long have you been here now? What area did you settle in? 
I’m trying to pull myself out of the funk and change what I can, such as looking to join the gym which was a huge thing for me back in the UK and hopefully make some friends for my little boy too. 

Sent you a PM.

On 22/04/2023 at 13:59, ramot said:

yes the Sunshine Coast is hot and humid during summer, but you would be daft not to have reverse cycle air con and fans , just as you would be daft not to have central heating in UK for winter. It certainly isn’t too hot and humid to be out and about, but probably avoid the middle of the day if you are local. 

Realistically the humidity is there for the 3 summer months, people adapt, and then most of us love the perfect weather for the other  9 months of the year,  Winter can feel a bit chilly, but I enjoy the change and wearing trousers and a light jumper for a change, and a jacket in the evening but that  need is only about 6 weeks. 

If I had a couple of million swishing around the Sunny Coast would be my first choice of places to live in Australia. The climate is just about perfect, the coastline is idyllic, and it's reasonably close to a major city, without being over-developed (like the Gold Coast). Every time we go there we have a great holiday, although when we visited last year it was much busier than on previous occasions. Nowhere idyllic stays that way for long these days!

2 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

If I had a couple of million swishing around the Sunny Coast would be my first choice of places to live in Australia. The climate is just about perfect, the coastline is idyllic, and it's reasonably close to a major city, without being over-developed (like the Gold Coast). Every time we go there we have a great holiday, although when we visited last year it was much busier than on previous occasions. Nowhere idyllic stays that way for long these days!

Not all the Sunshine Coast has Noosa prices

5578EA19-21A0-412E-8D6F-9636296C4B34.jpeg

• Like 2