Tip on travelling

Squirlies

My top tip is, see if you can get a stopover.  If you've got at least 6 hours, you can book into an 'airside' hotel (which means you don't have to go through customs) and just have a sleep and a shower.   If you've got longer, you can book into a hotel in whatever city and have a sleep/shower and stretch your legs a bit.  I find it makes a world of difference.

1 hour ago, Squirlies said:

We have a 5 hour stop over at Singapore. We are planning on going into an airport lounge for a shower 

Singapore is one of the world's nicest airports with quite a few things to see and do if you are happy to explore. I'd suggest being a little bit active between your flights as you'll probably find it easier to nod off during your second flight, and feel more rested on your arrival in Brisbane.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Squirlies said:

We have a 5 hour stop over at Singapore. We are planning on going into an airport lounge for a shower 

Depending what time of day you arrive and how knackered you're feeling, there's also the Singapore city tour that goes from Changi airport and (from recollection) takes a couple of hours.

https://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/facilities-and-services/city-sightseeing.html

21 hours ago, Squirlies said:

They do have pay-per-use lounges in Singapore.  For me it's not the shower that's important, it's the ability to stretch out flat on a bed after being cramped in a seat for so long. I also find that even an hour's solid sleep makes a huge difference to my jet-lag.  You can book all the transit hotels by the hour.

https://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/facilities-and-services/transit-hotels.html#Aerotel

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

I would take a travel pillow over a regular one. Much smaller and it allows you to rest your head in any direction

Foam earplugs to help you sleep/snooze on the plane.

Download plenty of movies and tv shows to a laptop or tablet.

Some sweets to suck if air pressure makes your ears clogged.

A packet of wet wipes to refresh yourself mid flight.

A change of underwear and socks to freshen up.

• Like 2

On 26/03/2023 at 09:27, InnerVoice said:

Singapore is one of the world's nicest airports with quite a few things to see and do if you are happy to explore. I'd suggest being a little bit active between your flights as you'll probably find it easier to nod off during your second flight, and feel more rested on your arrival in Brisbane.

I remember taking the kids for a swim there once in a rooftop pool - it's a great airport!

My top tip is to change into PJ's once you are onboard.  For me it was a game changer for comfort.  I buy cheap, thin ones from Sainsbury's.  They are solid colours so at a glance you could be wearing black joggers and a grey long sleeve top.  Thin because if it's hot you don't overheat, but long sleeve in case the aircon has been cranked up.

Oh and those slippers you get in a hotel or a spa.  Much easier for going to the toilet than digging out your trainers from under the seat.

A really good quality eye mask that blocks out all light makes a big difference, as do good quality ear plugs

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I remember taking the kids for a swim there once in a rooftop pool - it's a great airport!

My top tip is to change into PJ's once you are onboard.  For me it was a game changer for comfort.  I buy cheap, thin ones from Sainsbury's.  They are solid colours so at a glance you could be wearing black joggers and a grey long sleeve top.  Thin because if it's hot you don't overheat, but long sleeve in case the aircon has been cranked up.

Oh and those slippers you get in a hotel or a spa.  Much easier for going to the toilet than digging out your trainers from under the seat.

A really good quality eye mask that blocks out all light makes a big difference, as do good quality ear plugs

There's a pool?! Is it airside? I need to remember this for next time.

Eye mask and ear plugs an absolute must. I always take the 4-pack ear plugs in case one drops on the floor!

16 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

There's a pool?! Is it airside? I need to remember this for next time.

Eye mask and ear plugs an absolute must. I always take the 4-pack ear plugs in case one drops on the floor!

The Aerotel Hotel  has a pool.   It's airside in Terminal 1. As Shaunfreo said, you book a 6 hour block and get a hotel room, meal and access to the pool etc.

https://www.myaerotel.com/en-uk/find/asia-pacific/singapore/singapore/aerotel-singapore/facility

I believe if you're flying from another terminal, you can still get a shuttle bus to Terminal 1 and they arrange clearance for you.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The Aerotel Hotel  has a pool.   It's airside in Terminal 1. As Shaunfreo said, you book a 6 hour block and get a hotel room, meal and access to the pool etc.

https://www.myaerotel.com/en-uk/find/asia-pacific/singapore/singapore/aerotel-singapore/facility

I believe if you're flying from another terminal, you can still get a shuttle bus to Terminal 1 and they arrange clearance for you.

Thanks for the clarification, although I don't think I'll be bothering at $221 for 6 hours. I'll wait till I get home and go in my own pool!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone

We have been in australia nearly two weeks now. Its taken over a week to get over the jetlag. I wake at 4am everyday and ready for bed by 8pm. 

We are used to travelling to America, and never thought we would feel so jet lagged. 

We have fallen I'm love here. So so beautiful 

• Like 2