Moving to Tasmania from mainland (qld) questions

Tjsmum

19 hours ago, Tjsmum said:

more affordable housing in Vic and buildings to my liking, this below is an example:  I thought this kind of housing excised only in Tas 

56614140-32E4-464B-B65A-D99F84BA3608.png

There are some beautiful houses in Vic and Tas. It was the first thing we noticed when we got off the plane. Not like some of the monstrosities we have up here 😥

$280/week - you can't argue with that! 😮

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I would never buy a house close to a river or in a low lying area no matter what country I lived in.  We do live next to a river here but it doesn't flood in Devonport as it empties out into the sea.

You only need worry about global warming then Toots! 😀

9 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

You only need worry about global warming then Toots! 😀

My sister has just arrived back home in Edinburgh to freezing weather and sleet.  No global warming there.  She was hoping to have missed out on that sort of weather after spending 5 months here but there you go.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Toots said:

My sister has just arrived back home in Edinburgh to freezing weather and sleet.  No global warming there.

But do remember that the effect of overall global warming is to create weather extremes, both hot and cold, at opposite ends of the globe.  One of the reasons they started calling it climate change instead, because so many people didn't get that.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Toots said:

My sister has just arrived back home in Edinburgh to freezing weather and sleet.  No global warming there.  She was hoping to have missed out on that sort of weather after spending 5 months here but there you go.

I'm connected on Facebook with the lovely couple who bought our UK house and they posted a photo of our old back garden earlier - a good 6" snow by the looks of it!

331472009_2516092321872118_4891076397025708582_n.thumb.jpg.c01217e88f404dc0896d54b8e20f6854.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

But do remember that the effect of overall global warming is to create weather extremes, both hot and cold, at opposite ends of the globe.  One of the reasons they started calling it climate change instead, because so many people didn't get that.

Yes, I call it climate change rather than global warming.  I have a good friend in Minneapolis (Minnesota) and the weather there for months has been absolutely dire.  She's been shovelling snow for months.  Far worse than it used to be.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Toots said:

It’s terrible weather throughout the UK at the moment.  I’m in the warmer parts (south east of England) and still it is bitter.  I’ve driven to work the last two days in heavy snow.  Next week is looking much better though.  Spring is surely on its way (I hope) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

It’s terrible weather throughout the UK at the moment.  I’m in the warmer parts (south east of England) and still it is bitter.  I’ve driven to work the last two days in heavy snow.  Next week is looking much better though.  Spring is surely on its way (I hope) 

I always feel sorry for farm animals though I'm sure farmers have brought their early lambs into sheltered areas.

Stay warm and safe @Tulip1

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Exactly!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Best bet is to contact some removalists and ask them for quotes.  No harm in it, there's never any obligation to actually book!    The problem with Tassie is that somewhere along the line, your stuff has to be loaded onto a ship, and it's the sea freight that costs all the extra money.

If you're renting, then I'd say country Victoria is a better bet than Tasmania, where I'm told rents have gone up drastically.  

I wonder what has caused the rise in rents in Tas? I think the price spike up here was when a lot of southerners moved north after lockdown finished as we didn’t have any cases, could it be the same for Tas? 

There is so much to consider, moving to either of these places and so much to figure out, we will get stuck in after our trip home.

15 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I came from SW England! Never thought I’d come across someone near me! 

Yes! Everyone is praying spring arrives quickly back home, my great aunti and sister have had snow! I couldn’t believe it! Snow in March, but mum says they’ve had it in April too 

14 hours ago, Bulya said:
14 hours ago, Bulya said:

Exactly!

@Bulya I know this is off topic but my grandfather in law shares the same name as your screen name, his favourite horse was called bullija pronounced bull e yah, everyone started calling him bullja instead of bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tjsmum said:

I came from SW England! Never thought I’d come across someone near me! 

Yes! Everyone is praying spring arrives quickly back home, my great aunti and sister have had snow! I couldn’t believe it! Snow in March, but mum says they’ve had it in April too 

I remember snow at Easter and once in Stirling (Scotland) in June!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tjsmum said:

I couldn’t believe it! Snow in March, but mum says they’ve had it in April too 

On June 2nd 1975 we took our son to Ely East Midlands to hospital to have his tonsils out, it was snowing! We bought him home on Friday that week in a heatwave! 

• Like 2

I just want to thank everyone for their input thus far, I guess the next steps from here are:

1. Which state has the cooler weather all year round?

2. What areas are “safest” (crime wise) to live in in each state? 

3.Job availability, and schooling

4. Which towns are closest to the airport in each state. 

So far country Vic is looking most affordable for renting.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tjsmum said:

@Toots Wow, snow in June?! I know it’s Scotland but still, snow in June, that’s crazy

I also have a photo of myself with a group of friends (when we were teenagers) sunbathing on a very warm Good Friday and by Easter Monday it was snowing.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2023 at 13:14, Tjsmum said:

@InnerVoice That’s interesting, I’d thought with it being cooler it would be wetter, I did see the flooding not too long ago can’t remember where in Tas it was.

It's true, as InnerVoice said, that Devonport gets about half the annual rainfall of Cairns, but it is spread more equally throughout the year.  Summer months are on average drier than the rest of the year and winter months are the wettest but there is not as great a difference as in Cairns where so much of the annual rain occurs in just  a few months - mainly January and February.   This Youtube video of a leisurely flight over northwest Tasmania shows what it  looks like most of the year.  It has to be green because it is major dairying country (about 20% of Australia's milk production) and the cows won't produce if it's not green.  😀

Wandering Foxbat - NW Farmlands and Dial Range - YouTube

• Like 2

On 10/03/2023 at 14:47, Marisawright said:

Have you considered country Victoria?  It can still get hot in summer (but then it also gets hot in Tasmania) 

Definitely not as hot as country Victoria.  We have the odd 30+ day in parts of Tasmania - not the northwest where Toots lives - but it only lasts a day or two.  We've had a total of 7   30+C days in Hobart this summer - but the average max. for both January and February was only 23C.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Skani said:

Definitely not as hot as country Victoria.  

It depends where in country Victoria, though.  If you're up in the mountains, e.g. Ballarat, Woodend, the Dandenong Ranges -- it's 2 or 3 degrees cooler than Melbourne.  We've been in the habit of watching Tassie weather because we periodically think of moving there.  One of the attractions of Hobart is the cooler weather, but usually whatever Melbourne is, Hobart is only 2 or 3 degrees cooler on average -- in other words, similar to Ballarat. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1