New law for pet owners

Toots

This info was in our local paper but it may be old news by now.  Seems awfully short notice.

Hundreds of pet owners seeking to enter Australia with their pets have had their plans thrown into disarray by rule changes that is making it all but impossible to bring their dogs and cats with them.  The changes which take effect today mean that the validity of a test showing that an animal has been vaccinated against rabies has shrunk from 24 months to 12 months and that dogs and cats have to be identified by official government vets.  If these requirements cannot be fulfilled, animals need to spend 30 rather than 10 days in quarantine on arrival but with quarantine spaces booked out for months many pet owners are now unable to travel with their pets.

It will be a problem for many.  If there are any dogs that are from Australia (born in Australia) that have left and are now returning, I believe they can still get the 10 days quarantine.  I know someone who returned to the UK last year and they’re now planning to go back to Australia at the end of this year.  Apparently because the dog is an Australian dog (has to be proved but that’s easy with documents - all import paperwork available showing the dog was flown from Oz to the UK) it is only required to do the 10 days.  I understand the strict rules to avoid rabies but as the UK is rabies free I’m a bit surprised at the change.  

We had our two dogs rabies jabbed and first titre test( test results ok) in preparation for a potential move to Australia later in the year( sub class 804 visas to be applied for on arrival)

Our vets have been most helpful as have Ladyhaye agents for transport.

With this change in regulations it seems apparent that the UK goverment have not been able to comply with the requirements which have been placed in respect of

"goverment approved Vet certification".requiring verification of pet identities.

What with the change in quarantine stay of ten days to 30 days this has put our plans in disarray.

The UK is Rabies free so this does seem rather severe to place such stringent controls for immigrants wishing to bring thier furry friends along.

Hoping this issue will be clarified/adjusted .

Our vets are confused,we are confused and no doubt the UK goverment is too.!

• 2 weeks later...

We brought our Shar Pei out in 2016 and even back then the UK was no longer classed as 'rabies free " it was something like rabies controlled ( That was because of open borders ) I do remember there had 2 be i think it was 6 months between the rabies vax and titre test but not sure how long the reults were valid for at that stage