Age 42 and 50 - are we mad?

Cheery Thistle

5 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

@Cheery Thistle in your initial post you stated that 'you have a good life in the UK with a nice house, relatively low mortgage and I have a good job'. Also, it seems that you have a nice family life too, so all in all the right ingredients for a happy life. In subsequent posts it comes across as though living in Australia is something on your bucket list that needs to be ticked, rather than a life-changing way of life you're committed too. However, what you've said above indicates that you've given it a lot more than I gave you credit for, so apologies for being too quick to judge.

I appreciate that my experience of migrating almost 30 years ago isn't going to help you much, but I know a couple who arrived fairly recently, and a lad who has just obtained his visa grant. The couple from the north of England emigrated autumn 2020, so they've been here two and a half years now. I work with the lady who is a high school teacher, and her husband is an HGV driver. I'm not sure if that's what he's always done, but he's doing that now. She's late 30s and he's early 40s, so a bit younger than you, but their situation isn't dissimilar given their professions. They were renting for a year but have now bought a property, which is a lot more affordable up here in Cairns. They have two children, 5 and 1. The first year they were loving it but I know they struggled last year with missing family etc, especially with the birth of a new baby. They went back to the UK last Christmas over the school holidays and loved seeing everyone again, but were equally happy getting back to Australia. I think a lot of new migrants need that trip back every couple of years to 'drink from the well', and alleviate those feelings of homesickness.

The other person is also a teacher - and a Scot! He obtained his visa grant a couple of months ago and is coming out this September. To give you some idea of the timeframe he started the process in 2019, which was delayed due to covid of course. He had some issues getting the skills assessments done and that also hindered the process, but he got there in the end. I know there were a couple of occasions when thought about throwing in the towel though!

As others have said, you may struggle to find a pathway given your current occupations so best consult an RMA. Maybe you could go back to teaching for a couple of years so you can get in on the back of that? Due to the shortage of secondary teachers across Australia at the moment, you probably have a good chance of a success application.

Compared with 30 years ago things aren't as great as they used to be, but show me any country where they are. Australia is still the land of milk and honey as far as I'm concerned and if you're willing to work hard, the opportunity you mentioned lacking in the UK will definitely present itself here.

Hi yes I have already consulted a migration agent and they seemed confident I’d be ok with the secondary teaching qualification and experience. I still have enough and recent enough teaching experience. I would be advised to do the English test to boost my points though. 
Contrary to popular belief, although I would get the visa based on my teaching qualification, I don’t actually have to teach once I arrive if I get a 189 or 190 (which is what I’d apply for). That’s not to say I won’t but I have put considerable effort into retraining and upskilling and would probably prefer fo stay in my existing field. 

Yes, I have thought about it a lot, you don’t walk away from what we have here without giving it a lot of thought! However, what I did omit was my sob story lol. My mum died in 2020 at the height of Covid after my dad and I had to nurse her at home for 8 months (due to the Covid situation she couldn’t go to hospice or hospital because she wouldn’t be allowed visitors etc etc).  Then in 2021 my husband had a planned surgery which then led to a load of unintended consequences, 2 further emergency surgeries and sepsis and he almost died. Fortunately he has fully recovered and has been back at work for over a year. But my point is going through these things kind of brings your life into sharp focus and that, coupled with our age, gives the migrating/moving issue a now or never and carpe diem aspect that it might not otherwise have! I mean, what’s the worst that can happen if we move and it doesn’t work out - it’s highly unlikely to be more traumatic that all of that!! 

I have checked the health situation with an agent and because none of us are under any medical supervision or on any meds now it should be fine.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

That sounds like paradise to me too! 😊

No true. A quarter of a million euros for a decent apartment with a sea view (if you squint). You'll struggle to find that anywhere in Australia.

https://www.green-acres.fr/en/properties/apartment/grasse/27135a-18_094.htm

Everything is very expensive there, not just the property. It is a fabulous place though, I love the south of France. We went to Nice about 10 years ago and dinner for 2 with wine was around 160 euros for 2 then. They did have buses to anywhere for just one euro though! Grasse is lovely - perfume town. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Hi yes I have already consulted a migration agent and they seemed confident I’d be ok with the secondary teaching qualification and experience. I still have enough and recent enough teaching experience. I would be advised to do the English test to boost my points though. 
Contrary to popular belief, although I would get the visa based on my teaching qualification, I don’t actually have to teach once I arrive if I get a 189 or 190 (which is what I’d apply for). That’s not to say I won’t but I have put considerable effort into retraining and upskilling and would probably prefer fo stay in my existing field. 

Yes, I have thought about it a lot, you don’t walk away from what we have here without giving it a lot of thought! However, what I did omit was my sob story lol. My mum died in 2020 at the height of Covid after my dad and I had to nurse her at home for 8 months (due to the Covid situation she couldn’t go to hospice or hospital because she wouldn’t be allowed visitors etc etc).  Then in 2021 my husband had a planned surgery which then led to a load of unintended consequences, 2 further emergency surgeries and sepsis and he almost died. Fortunately he has fully recovered and has been back at work for over a year. But my point is going through these things kind of brings your life into sharp focus and that, coupled with our age, gives the migrating/moving issue a now or never and carpe diem aspect that it might not otherwise have! I mean, what’s the worst that can happen if we move and it doesn’t work out - it’s highly unlikely to be more traumatic that all of that!! 

I have checked the health situation with an agent and because none of us are under any medical supervision or on any meds now it should be fine.  

I'm sorry to hear of your loss and of the other challenges your family faced.  I can well imagine how these experiences would act to become a point of reflection and it's clear that you've done a lot of reflecting indeed.

I think you are going to be very well prepared for your new life!  You're obviously realistic that it might not be perfect, or even better than today, but that it's an opportunity that could be and that's a chance worth taking and an adventure worth having! 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Sorry to learn about you mum and husband, but glad the latter is okay now. Life events of this nature are often the catalyst for positive change. Whilst no one wants to lose their parents, having ageing parents on the other side of the world is always a worry until they've passed on. I lost my father when I was young, well before migrating, and my mother was in good health for many years until the end, which thankfully came quickly and she didn't suffer. We talked at one point about her moving over but she was very happy in the UK, and enjoyed visiting on three occasions over the years. I'd suggest this might be the way forward for your father as the retirement visa process here is notoriously long and expensive, whereas a 3-month tourist visa is ideal for knocking a big whole in the British winter.

Renting your UK house out is a great idea (it's what I did for many years) as you've got that safety net if things don't go as you planned, but be mindful that you may need to pay capital gains tax on the proceeds of the sale if it's no longer your primary residence. Good luck with it all, and keep posting how you're getting along 😊

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

It’s now recommended even in the UK. It seems some people on here might be a wee bit out of date with their info. https://surgicaloncology.co.uk/dont-forget-to-wear-sunscreen-this-winter/

Only thing i find accord with is the bit about tanning beds. Leave that artificial alone at all costs. I'd say if me, I would welcome winter sunrays, if they at all exist, during a Scottish winter. We need Vitamin D for remaining healthy.   

23 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Only thing i find accord with is the bit about tanning beds. Leave that artificial alone at all costs. I'd say if me, I would welcome winter sunrays, if they at all exist, during a Scottish winter. We need Vitamin D for remaining healthy.   

Tanning beds should be banned.

15 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Sorry to learn about you mum and husband, but glad the latter is okay now. Life events of this nature are often the catalyst for positive change. Whilst no one wants to lose their parents, having ageing parents on the other side of the world is always a worry until they've passed on. I lost my father when I was young, well before migrating, and my mother was in good health for many years until the end, which thankfully came quickly and she didn't suffer. We talked at one point about her moving over but she was very happy in the UK, and enjoyed visiting on three occasions over the years. I'd suggest this might be the way forward for your father as the retirement visa process here is notoriously long and expensive, whereas a 3-month tourist visa is ideal for knocking a big whole in the British winter.

Renting your UK house out is a great idea (it's what I did for many years) as you've got that safety net if things don't go as you planned, but be mindful that you may need to pay capital gains tax on the proceeds of the sale if it's no longer your primary residence. Good luck with it all, and keep posting how you're getting along 😊

Thanks, will do. Just pushed the button and paid for my skills assessment. We are booking flights to come over in October for a look around. Here we go! 

• Like 2

On 14/03/2023 at 08:01, Cheery Thistle said:

I am so very sorry to hear about this. Its comforting to hear other people having the same thoughts and in a similar situation.. My mum also died last year, out of the blue, at a young age and with no health conditions, and it led me to have the same thoughts about moving. Id been thinking about it for 15 years or so but always made excuses not to. If Im being honest, leaving her was one of my excuses, and I was too scared of change from my comfortable life, but as you say these things put a new perspective on life. I keep thinking that my mum would have wanted me to go for it as Im sure yours would have. She never even made it to retirement age, so I now think that my well paid job, nice house and pension in the UK isnt the be all and end all-life is for living. And as you say whats the worst that can happen, we move back and all thats lost is some money. Anyway, hope you dont mind me adding my experience but its good to know there are others in similar situations. Like you I am early 40s so its definitely a now or never aituation. Eek! x

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ruth1 said:

I am so very sorry to hear about this. Its comforting to hear other people having the same thoughts and in a similar situation.. My mum also died last year, out of the blue, at a young age and with no health conditions, and it led me to have the same thoughts about moving. Id been thinking about it for 15 years or so but always made excuses not to. If Im being honest, leaving her was one of my excuses, and I was too scared of change from my comfortable life, but as you say these things put a new perspective on life. I keep thinking that my mum would have wanted me to go for it as Im sure yours would have. She never even made it to retirement age, so I now think that my well paid job, nice house and pension in the UK isnt the be all and end all-life is for living. And as you say whats the worst that can happen, we move back and all thats lost is some money. Anyway, hope you dont mind me adding my experience but its good to know there are others in similar situations. Like you I am early 40s so its definitely a now or never aituation. Eek! x

Thank you for that. So, are you going for it? 

7 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Thanks, will do. Just pushed the button and paid for my skills assessment. We are booking flights to come over in October for a look around. Here we go! 

Good for you! October is a great month to visit as the weather is (usually) quite settled across (most of) Australia, and not too hot.

On 14/03/2023 at 18:05, Cheery Thistle said:

Everything is very expensive there, not just the property. It is a fabulous place though, I love the south of France. We went to Nice about 10 years ago and dinner for 2 with wine was around 160 euros for 2 then. They did have buses to anywhere for just one euro though! Grasse is lovely - perfume town. 

You mean everything is expensive if you're a tourist. Fortunately we never eat out, so that's something we wouldn't miss. The French and Italians love to fleece the tourists, even those of their own nationality - they don't discriminate! I'm not sure if I really want to retire in Europe. Maybe it's just a fanciful idea and once I went there, I'd hate it. I know it will seem so busy when compared with here, which is something I wouldn't really like. We will have to go on a reckie at some point, just as you are doing 😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

You mean everything is expensive if you're a tourist. Fortunately we never eat out, so that's something we wouldn't miss. The French and Italians love to fleece the tourists, even those of their own nationality - they don't discriminate! I'm not sure if I really want to retire in Europe. Maybe it's just a fanciful idea and once I went there, I'd hate it. I know it will seem so busy when compared with here, which is something I wouldn't really like. We will have to go on a reckie at some point, just as you are doing 😊

You should! Where have you been before? My fave French city is probably Nice. Spain is also nice in parts and a bit more chilled culturally than France and Italy (in my opinion anyway). 
I LOVE eating out. Actually, I just love eating!! Haha. We went to Corsica in 2018 and prices in supermarket were high and also fuel was really really expensive (even compared to the UK). Not sure about daily living costs though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheery Thistle said:

You should! Where have you been before? My fave French city is probably Nice. Spain is also nice in parts and a bit more chilled culturally than France and Italy (in my opinion anyway). 
I LOVE eating out. Actually, I just love eating!! Haha. We went to Corsica in 2018 and prices in supermarket were high and also fuel was really really expensive (even compared to the UK). Not sure about daily living costs though. 

I've seen a fair chunk of Western Europe over the years, excluding Scandinavia, which I know I won't be retiring to! Spent a couple of weeks in Corsica back in the early 90s and although it was beautiful, it's not a place I'd go back to. The roads were terrible and the infrastructure was clearly in need of investment, so I can imagine some things would be expensive there. When I last visited France, which was about 5 years ago, I thought the supermarkets were on a par with the UK - maybe a little more expensive, but better choice than Austria, Germany and Switzerland, where they seem to have an obsession with cheese and sausages! Spain seems good value for property but the high rate of tax would hammer my pension income stream, so I think it would be out for that reason. Northern Portugal looks like the best bet at the moment, although again we'd need a visit, as I've only been around the southern half.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

Most any tourist area will have higher prices anywhere in the world. In France , best eat out if wanting a cheapish meal at a Pizzeria in the evenings , keeping other places for occasions. Vietnamese food bargains can be had if in Paris @the 13 th a, in Place D'Italie (China Town)   Some good deals for lunch with 'Plat du Jour' during the day in most cafes everywhere. Eating out can be kept very acceptable doing this. 

Of course, as in a lot of Europe , things like breakfast can be kept at an acceptable price by standing at the counter, A table outside will cost more than a table inside as well. Then the tip adds to the cost. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ruth1 said:

so I now think that my well paid job, nice house and pension in the UK isnt the be all and end all-life is for living.

Unless you have a very good government pension scheme in the UK, you won't be missing out by moving to Australia. Employers here have to pay a mandatory 10% of your salary (that's on top of your salary), into your superannuation, which is far more generous than most employers in the UK. Queensland government employees get 12.75%, and 18% if you're a police officer. You can also receive your UK state pension here once you get to retirement age, although it will be frozen in terms of the rate and is taxable.

Edited by InnerVoice
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

I've seen a fair chunk of Western Europe over the years, excluding Scandinavia, which I know I won't be retiring to! Spent a couple of weeks in Corsica back in the early 90s and although it was beautiful, it's not a place I'd go back to. The roads were terrible and the infrastructure was clearly in need of investment, so I can imagine some things would be expensive there. When I last visited France, which was about 5 years ago, I thought the supermarkets were on a par with the UK - maybe a little more expensive, but better choice than Austria, Germany and Switzerland, where they seem to have an obsession with cheese and sausages! Spain seems good value for property but the high rate of tax would hammer my pension income stream, so I think it would be out for that reason. Northern Portugal looks like the best bet at the moment, although again we'd need a visit, as I've only been around the southern half.

Portugal is probably the best value of the more desirable countries in Europe. I say probably as I've heard Romania is great value but never been. A few other Eastern countries seem to be of value like Slovenia, Montenegro, possibly Croatia but not in a position to have much insight or particular interest in those countries. 

I do know though Portugal is considerably cheaper than Cyprus (although probably not Northern Cyprus, the Turkish part of island) A lot speak English and it has been since the early 90's probably my favourite country in Europe. 

Germany, used to have some great dining places in small villages. I think all I used to frequent when there have now disappeared. The owners having retired and no interest by children to carry on the tradition. 

I've always found shopping in Germany very good. Great place for good quality clothes. (as well ) 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Portugal is probably the best value of the more desirable countries in Europe. I say probably as I've heard Romania is great value but never been. A few other Eastern countries seem to be of value like Slovenia, Montenegro, possibly Croatia but not in a position to have much insight or particular interest in those countries.

I went to Slovenia and Croatia back in the 70s, when they were still part of Yugoslavia. I remember my parents saying how cheap it was compared with the rest of Europe, although it was also quite backward as I recall. I guess they've moved on a lot in the last 45 years, and since joining the EU. Although given what's happening in Eastern Europe at the moment and the Balkans' reputation for instability as a region, I don't think I'll be moving there anytime soon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

I went to Slovenia and Croatia back in the 70s, when they were still part of Yugoslavia. I remember my parents saying how cheap it was compared with the rest of Europe, although it was also quite backward as I recall. I guess they've moved on a lot in the last 45 years, and since joining the EU. Although given what's happening in Eastern Europe at the moment and the Balkans' reputation for instability as a region, I don't think I'll be moving there anytime soon.

I went to Croatia (Dubrovnik) for the first time last year. It reminded me of Italy and Corsica. The people were lovely - really ‘got’ the Scottish sense of humour!! 
it wasn’t cheap but i think things have changed a lot. 
Portugal is lovely and one of our fave places but is less developed than most of the rest of Europe and it is poorer. The people are fantastic though. We got lost in Olhão a few years ago and stopped to ask an old man directions - he actually said ‘follow me’ and physically took us to our destination. 
I am fortunate here, I work for the Civil Service and have a pension that can’t be beat. But I might not live to see it lol. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Thank you for that. So, are you going for it? 

Yep!! Got a job offer so just submitting the paperwork now. Think id spent too long thinking about it and spending time worrying about every little thing that I just have to see for myself

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ruth1 said:

Yep!! Got a job offer so just submitting the paperwork now. Think id spent too long thinking about it and spending time worrying about every little thing that I just have to see for myself

Oh fab. Well done! I’m not really sure how it works with jobs. Do I apply before I have a visa? Once visa is granted but before we go? Or wait until we are on the ground? I feel funny applying for jobs in a place I’ve never even been to before! Yes we can definitely over-think that’s for sure. It’s a massive move though to be fair. 

32 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Oh fab. Well done! I’m not really sure how it works with jobs. Do I apply before I have a visa? Once visa is granted but before we go? Or wait until we are on the ground? 

The process of getting a skilled visa can take a year or more.  As you can imagine, not many employers are willing to wait that long.  They 've got a vacancy to fill, after all, so they're more likely to settle for a second-best candidate than hang out for you.  

If an employer is willing to consider an offshore candidate, they will want to sponsor you on an employer-sponsored visa to get you out to Australia faster, rather than wait all that time for you to get your own visa. The downside is that you're then tied to that employer (and some employers exploit that) and it's likely to be a temporary contract.  

You could try applying for jobs from the UK, once the skilled visa is granted.  Most employers won't consider you, though, for the same reasons as above.  People apply for jobs claiming they can arrive and be ready to start work in three months' time, but then they can't sell the house or have trouble shipping the pets or whatever, and the employer is left high and dry.  Therefore if you're going to apply, make sure you demonstrate that you really are organised and won't let them down.

The majority of migrants just wait until they arrive before they start applying.  For some occupations there's no choice because you have to be registered or do some local exams.  Obviously, you need to budget for a few months' living expenses while you're looking for work in that case.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The process of getting a skilled visa can take a year or more.  As you can imagine, not many employers are willing to wait that long.  They 've got a vacancy to fill, after all, so they're more likely to settle for a second-best candidate than hang out for you.  

If an employer is willing to consider an offshore candidate, they will want to sponsor you on an employer-sponsored visa to get you out to Australia faster, rather than wait all that time for you to get your own visa. The downside is that you're then tied to that employer (and some employers exploit that) and it's likely to be a temporary contract.  

You could try applying for jobs from the UK, once the skilled visa is granted.  Most employers won't consider you, though, for the same reasons as above.  People apply for jobs claiming they can arrive and be ready to start work in three months' time, but then they can't sell the house or have trouble shipping the pets or whatever, and the employer is left high and dry.  Therefore if you're going to apply, make sure you demonstrate that you really are organised and won't let them down.

The majority of migrants just wait until they arrive before they start applying.  For some occupations there's no choice because you have to be registered or do some local exams.  Obviously, you need to budget for a few months' living expenses while you're looking for work in that case.  

Yeah that’s as I thought. To be honest I’d probably rather wait as well, as I want to see what’s what with areas etc first. I always think job hunting is a 2 way street - yes you need to be a good fit for the employer, but they also need to be a good fit for you. We are budgeting for 6 months living costs just to be safe. I’m not sure if it’s the same over there but applying for jobs in the Uk is a really rigorous process. Many hoops to jump through and time consuming. My current job I applied for in July, was interviewed in August but didn’t start until October - and that was fast! I don’t fancy the sponsorship route. That would be a last resort I think. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Yeah that’s as I thought. To be honest I’d probably rather wait as well, as I want to see what’s what with areas etc first. I always think job hunting is a 2 way street - yes you need to be a good fit for the employer, but they also need to be a good fit for you. We are budgeting for 6 months living costs just to be safe. I’m not sure if it’s the same over there but applying for jobs in the Uk is a really rigorous process. Many hoops to jump through and time consuming. My current job I applied for in July, was interviewed in August but didn’t start until October - and that was fast! I don’t fancy the sponsorship route. That would be a last resort I think. 

I think you'll find a similar time frame over here for some jobs, so maybe start applying for jobs a couple of months before you leave. I'd enjoy that period before you restart work - it never lasts long! 😄

22 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

A lot changed over that time. I was there in that era. Probably one of the biggest for people from that region is their ability to travel and live abroad. We've met so many with houses back in their former homeland along with another either here in Australia or elsewhere. 

Back in the days you were there, you could sell a pair of blue jeans and live some days on the proceeds. Don't recall if it was as long as a week but something like that. You are correct. People were very 'friendly' as you say. Probably it was a little subversive to speak with Westerners but also a strong interest to practice their English or German. 

These says Aussies have a bit of a bad reputation in Croatia(Dubrovnik) for their inability to handle their alcohol.  Well that was the case several years back. 

I suspect if the war spreads few areas will be able to guarantee complete safety. UK seems to be a prime target of the Russians if indeed it did blow up. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I suspect if the war spreads few areas will be able to guarantee complete safety. UK seems to be a prime target of the Russians if indeed it did blow up. 

Sadly the 'unthinkable', buried at the back of our minds for decades, has moved somewhere nearer the middle in the last 12 months. Responses from both sides to various incidents have been measured up till now, but that could all change in a moment's insanity. We can only hope for a peaceful resolution that will end the bloodshed and allow the Ukrainians to rebuild their lives and their country, whilst not conceding too much to Russian demands. Unfortunately, that isn't looking very likely at the moment.

• Like 2