Where do i stand

walshy2504

Hi All Im after some advice 

I recently applied for a rental property through a real estate.

The first issue was they sent me a message asking for the bond and rent to be paid as I read through it I notice they had upped the rent by 50 dollars so I 

questioned it and they said it was a mistake just pay what it should be and we will sort is so I declined and asked for a new sum to be emailed 

the next day they emailed me the new sum which I paid. 

at this point, I still hadn't received a contract so I questioned it then a contract agreement was sent up on reading the contract

it stated that only 3 people can live in the property but I had applied for 6 to live in it so this was question and I was told they would get back to me by the end 

of today.

my question is as I have not signed the agreement can I request my bond and rent back as I don't like the way the agency are working?

Thank you

Which state or territory are  you  living in?  The rules and regulations can vary somewhat between them.  However each one has a tenants' support organisation and a consumer affairs body covering real estate matters which explains the proper procedures - for both landlord and tenant -  when renting.

For example, NSW has these: 

Starting a tenancy | Tenants' Union

Starting a residential tenancy | NSW Fair Trading

It certainly sounds dodgy:  as far as I am aware a contract should be read and signed before any money is handed over.  

If you are in another state find the appropriate organisations there:  you may need the help of a tenants' support organisation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a couple of rentals and was always asked for a deposit to secure the unit, rather than the full bond. Deposit would be first month’s rent, if I recall. Bond being 3 months  

Then meet with the letting agent and you have to sign contracts in the office with them and pay the bond shortly after. 

On 11/03/2023 at 05:31, GeeBee said:

I’ve had a couple of rentals and was always asked for a deposit to secure the unit, rather than the full bond. Deposit would be first month’s rent, if I recall. Bond being 3 months  

Then meet with the letting agent and you have to sign contracts in the office with them and pay the bond shortly after. 

Bond in WA is 4 weeks rent.

• 2 weeks later...