How to Get Ready to Receive UK Pension

FamilyHughes

Gosh the last 12 years have zoomed by since leaving the UK to live here in Australia and resident for tax purposes.  This year I turn 60 and am entitled to receive my UK Defined Benefits Pension at the normal scheme retirement age.  I have decided not to take a lump sum and simply want to receive the standard payments monthly.

I've received a letter from my Pension scheme in the UK asking for my wishes in terms of lump sum/monthly payment options and wanting to know which bank account to pay the funds into.  

I've searched online for information and indeed this forum but can't find anything that seems to explain how I go about arranging for my pension payments to be paid with no UK tax taken off at source. I am hoping that I can arrange to pay all taxation in Australia from day 1.  I've seen mentions of P85 form needing to be completed and also mention of needing to get the ATO to fill in a form and send to my pension provider.  I filled in P85 when I left the UK and have that letter retained, but there was no mention of an NT tax code for example so that doesn't maybe seem relevant.  I have searched on the ATO website and the only information I can find is how to apply for a tax off-set once I have been taxed by the UK... just what I'm hoping to avoid.

Is there anyone on this board who has gone through this and managed to work out what to do with success?  My pension is due to be paid in September this year, so I have a little time to get things organised if possible. 

Thank you heaps everyone!

That looks like the form I used recently. I did it before the pension was due but it took a few months to kick in. You send it to the ATO who send it to HMRC with verification then HMRC inform the pension company to alter the tax code. The pension company refunded the current UK years tax but I had to claim the previous year by submitting a Uk return. 
I couldn’t refuse the lump sum but was only taxed on the growth since leaving UK. 
I have a UK/Aus accountant as we need to file in both countries each year - it is worth it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

I recommend that you consider the after tax position in Australia of a lump sum versus a regular pension.

The former is subject to Australia's Applicable Fund Earnings (AFEs) tax provisions whereby some of the monies will be tax free.

The latter will be wholly taxable in Australia.

However, if you don't take the pension until you're retired, you're going to be in a low tax bracket (unless you've got a very good pension), so wouldn't that make a difference too?

On 23/02/2023 at 23:18, Alan Collett said:

I recommend that you consider the after tax position in Australia of a lump sum versus a regular pension.

The former is subject to Australia's Applicable Fund Earnings (AFEs) tax provisions whereby some of the monies will be tax free.

The latter will be wholly taxable in Australia.

Best regards.

Interesting. So in layman terms, say you have a NHS pension which pays a lump sum and then regular payment- they are taxed differently?

- Lump sum. Only taxed on any gains since you left the Uk? Is that right?

- Regular pension - taxed at your marginal rate? 

Thanks

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

That is right. My UK gov pension worked like that. 
For me the tax was / is minimal as I am not working here. You may need advice for your particular situation though. 

Thanks. Useful to know as you have the option of taking a larger lump sum with the NHS pension. Also is the lump sum taxed at 15% rather than marginal rate?

cheers

On 28/02/2023 at 12:07, DT55 said:

Interesting. So in layman terms, say you have a NHS pension which pays a lump sum and then regular payment- they are taxed differently?

- Lump sum. Only taxed on any gains since you left the Uk? Is that right?

- Regular pension - taxed at your marginal rate? 

Thanks

Pretty much sums it up from an Australian tax perspective although in some cases this may be a consideration: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/Deductions-you-can-claim/Other-deductions/Undeducted-Purchase-Price-of-a-foreign-pension-or-annuity/

21 hours ago, DT55 said:

Thanks. Useful to know as you have the option of taking a larger lump sum with the NHS pension. Also is the lump sum taxed at 15% rather than marginal rate?

cheers

Typically if a foreign super lump sum benefit payment is received more than six months after gaining residency or ceasing foreign employment then, the Applicable Fund Earnings (AFE) will be taxed at marginal tax rates/ : https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Super/In-detail/Withdrawing-and-using-your-super/Super-lump-sums-from-a-foreign-super-fund/

Regards

Andy

17 hours ago, Andrew from Vista Financial said:

Pretty much sums it up from an Australian tax perspective although in some cases this may be a consideration: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/Deductions-you-can-claim/Other-deductions/Undeducted-Purchase-Price-of-a-foreign-pension-or-annuity/

Typically if a foreign super lump sum benefit payment is received more than six months after gaining residency or ceasing foreign employment then, the Applicable Fund Earnings (AFE) will be taxed at marginal tax rates/ : https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Super/In-detail/Withdrawing-and-using-your-super/Super-lump-sums-from-a-foreign-super-fund/

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy - that’s useful to know 

• Like 1