Seeking feedback from people who moved back to UK.

SusieOz

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Most people will avoid walking around in40 degree weather or sweltering sun.

But then most people will accomodate it by walking in earlier morning before it gets too hot or go out at dusk.

You're in Melbourne, Parley, where the mornings don't get hot until gone 11, and it cools down in the evening for a pleasant stroll.

Try living in Sydney or points north, where it's hot by 10am and doesn't cool down in the evening unless there's a thunderstorm (in which case it's teeming down). 

Even if you do go out at the crack of dawn or at 9 at night, you're still stuck in the house all day.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

You're in Melbourne, Parley, where the mornings don't get hot until gone 11, and it cools down in the evening for a pleasant stroll.

Try living in Sydney or points north, where it's hot by 10am and doesn't cool down in the evening unless there's a thunderstorm (in which case it's teeming down). 

Even if you do go out at the crack of dawn or at 9 at night, you're still stuck in the house all day.  

That’s rubbish

I’ve been out and about this week midday in 30’ heat and lived to tell the tale 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ramot said:

That’s rubbish

I’ve been out and about this week midday in 30’ heat and lived to tell the tale 

Agree, completely.

I've lived in Sydney for over 40 years and can count on one hand the number of times it's too hot be outside. 

It's been in the low-thirties in the last couple of days - supposedly the hottest it's been in Sydney for over two years - and everyone is out and about as usual. People go to work, kids go to school, shoppers are shopping. To suggest that the whole population is stuck indoors for weeks on end during summer is ludicrous.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Barring the Pacific island nations and the USA, Australia and NZ have the highest rates of obesity amongst the developed nations. Tasmania has the worst statistics, with almost two thirds of the population considered as being overweight. This would seem to debunk the notion that living in a cooler climate is healthier because people are likely to be more active. In my experience you see far more obese people in country Australia than you do in the major towns and cities. I think it's mainly down to education (or lack of it), access to healthier food choices, and also that there is less stigma in being overweight in smaller communities.

Living in Cairns, I wouldn't dispute that the climate here is a lot less conducive to outdoor activities, unless they're water related. I'm up at 5am most mornings, and I try and get my exercise in by 6.30am, which is much earlier than I'd prefer to be up but at least it ties in well with my working day. I usually need to wait an hour after before showering, or it's a complete waste of time! Conversely, I don't think the UK climate is any better. If you're in a regular 9 to 5 job as I am, the only outside exercise you will get during the week between November and March will be in the cold and dark - and often the rain. I appreciate that if you're retired or work for yourself etc then you're going to have more flexibility about when you can go, but I'm comparing like for like here.

In the end it comes down to the mindset of the person, and if it's positive then they will find a way to stay active - wherever they live.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InnerVoice said:

Barring the Pacific island nations and the USA, Australia and NZ have the highest rates of obesity amongst the developed nations. Tasmania has the worst statistics, with almost two thirds of the population considered as being overweight. This would seem to debunk the notion that living in a cooler climate is healthier because people are likely to be more active. In my experience you see far more obese people in country Australia than you do in the major towns and cities. I think it's mainly down to education (or lack of it), access to healthier food choices, and also that there is less stigma in being overweight in smaller communities.

Living in Cairns, I wouldn't dispute that the climate here is a lot less conducive to outdoor activities, unless they're water related. I'm up at 5am most mornings, and I try and get my exercise in by 6.30am, which is much earlier than I'd prefer to be up but at least it ties in well with my working day. I usually need to wait an hour after before showering, or it's a complete waste of time! Conversely, I don't think the UK climate is any better. If you're in a regular 9 to 5 job as I am, the only outside exercise you will get during the week between November and March will be in the cold and dark - and often the rain. I appreciate that if you're retired or work for yourself etc then you're going to have more flexibility about when you can go, but I'm comparing like for like here.

In the end it comes down to the mindset of the person, and if it's positive then they will find a way to stay active - wherever they live.

A lot of that has to do with the socio economic thing.  I see them at the shops buying greasy, fatty garbage and a trolley full of unhealthy stuff.  Probably shuffle from the house to the car to the shops and shuffle back home again.  BUT there are also a lot of fit, healthy people.  There are 10 gyms/fitness centres in Devonport.  I pass 2 of them most mornings at 6:30 to 7 am and they are busy then.  People are out running and cycling.  I don't go to a gym but I do keep fit.  I walk for miles and swim regularly.  Even just working in the garden and faffing about with the horses helps.  I used to be able to eat what I wanted and didn't put on weight but now I'm a bit more careful.  I do still like a slice of cake with a cup of coffee and love chocolate but now have to ration that a bit.  I've noticed the younger people are a lot slimmer and fitter than the older generation.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Toots said:

A lot of that has to do with the socio economic thing.  I see them at the shops buying greasy, fatty garbage and a trolley full of unhealthy stuff.  Probably shuffle from the house to the car to the shops and shuffle back home again.  BUT there are also a lot of fit, healthy people.  There are 10 gyms/fitness centres in Devonport.  I pass 2 of them most mornings at 6:30 to 7 am and they are busy then.  People are out running and cycling.  I don't go to a gym but I do keep fit.  I walk for miles and swim regularly.  Even just working in the garden and faffing about with the horses helps.  I used to be able to eat what I wanted and didn't put on weight but now I'm a bit more careful.  I do still like a slice of cake with a cup of coffee and love chocolate but now have to ration that a bit.  I've noticed the younger people are a lot slimmer and fitter than the older generation.

Your trip to the shops sounds very similar to what we'd find in Cairns, and no doubt echoed in supermarket trollies across regional Australia. You are what you eat, as they say. Plenty of fit, healthy-looking people up here too. I reckon they must be the other third because unlike the UK, there seems to be hardly anyone in between over here.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2023 at 23:28, InnerVoice said:

As an enthusiastic (if hopeless) middle-aged endurance 'athlete' I wholeheartedly agree....but there's more to it.   I remember back in 2005 going to work for a Kansas City, USA based company who had won a very big contract in the UK.  They rapidly went from about 50 UK staff to over 600 and seeded the team with over 50 people from Kansas City who knew the company, it's products and processes.  They were all on 2 year contracts and lived in London.   A large proportion were on the somewhat heavy side and almost every one of them lost a load of weight during their 2 years.  They put it down to having the infrastructure available that enabled them to walk a lot.   I suspect restaurant portions played a part too.  I stayed with that company for 5 years, vising HQ in KC quarterly and sure enough, within 6-9 months of returning, the formerly heavy colleagues regained what they had lost.   

• Like 3