Seeking feedback from people who moved back to UK.

SusieOz

My husband and I (both British born) are considering retiring to the UK after spending 27 years in Australia. We live in Townsville, North Queensland and can no longer cope with the heat. We are considering other parts of Australia that are cooler but we would end up being completely alone. Where we currently live, I have quite a few family members and both of us have family back in the UK. I would love to hear from others who went back to the UK after living in Australia for an extended period... and how they found it? The things our souls are craving are being able to go for a walk in the middle of the day without getting fried, the changing seasons, old buildings/history, and having lots of things to do and see on our doorstep. We are very isolated where we live in North Queensland and the hot weather really does keep you indoors. In the UK, we would be seeking a semi rural lifestyle. We would love to hear your honest feedback about the experience of returning home, whether that's good or bad. Obviously everyone is different, but just being able to discuss this with people who've been through it would be very helpful. Thank you!

• Like 3

I understand your feelings.  I also started to find the heat intolerable as I got older, after more than 30 years in Australia.   The hot weather keeps you indoors more than the cold weather in the UK.  You can always rug up for the cold, but there's only so many clothes you can take off when it's hot, without getting arrested.

The first thing I'd say is, if your souls are really craving for the UK, then don't let practicalities stand in the way. It's quite likely you'll be financially worse off in the UK.  However the longer you put it off, the worse off you'll be.  We have too many members here who dithered, and ended up stuck forever, eventually dying miserable and homesick. If the thought of spending the rest of your life in Australia makes your heart sink, then you've got to consider that money is not the most important thing in the world.

We tried retiring in the UK and it didn't work for us. However, my soul never craved anything, and I'm happy at the thought of living in Oz till the end of my days, so our case is not comparable.  We simply disliked the heat and sun, and we liked European travel.  We thought that if we moved to the UK, we would spend our retirement touring Europe. And I think that's why it didn't work.  After 30 years I'm much more of an Aussie than a Brit. I felt like a square peg in a round hole in England, and we couldn't afford to spend all our time holidaying.  When we decided to move back to Australia after a year, I was anxious about how I'd settle in Oz -- but I have loved being back 'home'. 

I have no family in Australia so that was another attraction of the UK, as I have three sisters and several nieces and nephews and even a grand-nephew, plus countless cousins.  I looked forward to that, but unfortunately, they are all scattered across the UK from Inverness to the South of England, so visiting them was expensive and time-consuming. Most of them, being working people, couldn't find the time to travel to visit us. When you leave your family for 30 years, they fill the blank you left pretty quickly, and it's not easy to shoehorn your way back in!  If your family are all concentrated in one region, and you can afford to live on their doorstep, it might be different.

• Like 7

We accidentally moved back in 2011 (having been here since 1979) and returned in 2020 just before everything closed down for Covid. Best thing we ever did - it gave me a new lease of life, I lost weight, I got fitter, my depression lifted almost magically.  I loved those very things that you mention appealing to you - the semi-rural environment, walking in the countryside, trips to London, finding history at every turn. The weather hindered me significantly less than it has done since we returned. There were few days I couldn't walk when I wanted. 

We were different in that we retired to care for my parents so weren't faced with trying to get a job (we were both offered them without applying for any) and we didn't have to find a place to live because we squatted in my parents' back bedroom.  Being a 24/7 carer was no joke but despite that I felt great. My Aussie DH thought he would hate every minute but he really enjoyed himself, loved seeing the country and really got involved with the history.

Had I known 30 years ago that I would be stuck here I would have pushed like hell to move on to UK back then but it was more a "go with the flow" kinda deal. I got my sanity hits with regular trips back but it wasn't until retirement loomed that I realised I was trapped. The accidental sojourn was an absolute blessing, best 9 years of my life.

I guess my question is can you afford to retire to UK? We came to the conclusion that we couldn't but I had another friend who did manage to do it very happily. I guess it all depends on how much risk you are happy to take.  We have a son in both countries, grandkids in both countries but financially we are better off here, so here we stay. 

• Like 6

I moved back to the UK and lasted less than a year before moving back again. I thought I'd enjoy the colder climate but froze even in summer. When we landed back in Melbourne the waft of heat on a warm summer evening was such a relief.

There were other factors in my moving back, mostly my sons, but like Marisa I felt unfamiliar with the UK. I didn't belong there anymore, too Australian.

If you go, just be sure to research your entitlement to an Australian Centrelink pension. I think there are a few threads on the subject on this forum.

• Like 6

I appreciate our circumstances aren’t quite the same, but apart from the three covid years, as we are retired we have mostly spent 3 months of every year back in UK for the last 15 years. 
This is because we have a son and our only grandchildren living there.

We finally visited again last October, for 5 weeks. We decided 3 months was really too long now for us. Apparently it was a very mild autumn!? I was so cold! and when you added cold rain into the mix, I was plain miserable, there was no pleasure in being outdoors, and I did have the right clothing with me, but I have got out of the habit of wearing at least 3 layers of clothing, long trousers, socks and shoes wooly hat, gloves.                                  I live on the Sunshine Coast, and yes it does get hot and humid in summer, but only for a about 3 months, the rest of the year is usually glorious, and even today which has been very hot, I still went for my daily walk in the late afternoon, Mooloolaba was full of people enjoying the weather. 
The other thing that I also realised on this last visit,  like Melbpom, was that I was also more Australian now than I had realised. 
Neither my husband or I are in a hurry to return to UK, if at all. The journey is tedious at our age, and our son and family were very bound up in their own lives, best not to mention the hours our grandsons spent gaming, rather than communicating!!! and we don’t like the weather.                               So even if you have family in UK, like Marisa mentioned, be realistic about how much time you will actually spend time with them.

Good luck with your decision 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I understand your feelings.  I also started to find the heat intolerable as I got older, after more than 30 years in Australia.   The hot weather keeps you indoors more than the cold weather in the UK.  You can always rug up for the cold, but there's only so many clothes you can take off when it's hot, without getting arrested.

The first thing I'd say is, if your souls are really craving for the UK, then don't let practicalities stand in the way. It's quite likely you'll be financially worse off in the UK.  However the longer you put it off, the worse off you'll be.  We have too many members here who dithered, and ended up stuck forever, eventually dying miserable and homesick. If the thought of spending the rest of your life in Australia makes your heart sink, then you've got to consider that money is not the most important thing in the world.

We tried retiring in the UK and it didn't work for us. However, my soul never craved anything, and I'm happy at the thought of living in Oz till the end of my days, so our case is not comparable.  We simply disliked the heat and sun, and we liked European travel.  We thought that if we moved to the UK, we would spend our retirement touring Europe. And I think that's why it didn't work.  After 30 years I'm much more of an Aussie than a Brit. I felt like a square peg in a round hole in England, and we couldn't afford to spend all our time holidaying.  When we decided to move back to Australia after a year, I was anxious about how I'd settle in Oz -- but I have loved being back 'home'. 

I have no family in Australia so that was another attraction of the UK, as I have three sisters and several nieces and nephews and even a grand-nephew, plus countless cousins.  I looked forward to that, but unfortunately, they are all scattered across the UK from Inverness to the South of England, so visiting them was expensive and time-consuming. Most of them, being working people, couldn't find the time to travel to visit us. When you leave your family for 30 years, they fill the blank you left pretty quickly, and it's not easy to shoehorn your way back in!  If your family are all concentrated in one region, and you can afford to live on their doorstep, it might be different.

Thanks for your honest reply. Yes, we will definitely put our happiness first over money and practicalities. I'm glad you've found 'home'! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Quoll said:

We accidentally moved back in 2011 (having been here since 1979) and returned in 2020 just before everything closed down for Covid. Best thing we ever did - it gave me a new lease of life, I lost weight, I got fitter, my depression lifted almost magically.  I loved those very things that you mention appealing to you - the semi-rural environment, walking in the countryside, trips to London, finding history at every turn. The weather hindered me significantly less than it has done since we returned. There were few days I couldn't walk when I wanted. 

We were different in that we retired to care for my parents so weren't faced with trying to get a job (we were both offered them without applying for any) and we didn't have to find a place to live because we squatted in my parents' back bedroom.  Being a 24/7 carer was no joke but despite that I felt great. My Aussie DH thought he would hate every minute but he really enjoyed himself, loved seeing the country and really got involved with the history.

Had I known 30 years ago that I would be stuck here I would have pushed like hell to move on to UK back then but it was more a "go with the flow" kinda deal. I got my sanity hits with regular trips back but it wasn't until retirement loomed that I realised I was trapped. The accidental sojourn was an absolute blessing, best 9 years of my life.

I guess my question is can you afford to retire to UK? We came to the conclusion that we couldn't but I had another friend who did manage to do it very happily. I guess it all depends on how much risk you are happy to take.  We have a son in both countries, grandkids in both countries but financially we are better off here, so here we stay. 

Thanks for responding so honestly. We could afford it but, of course, we'll take a financial hit... but I wouldn't care! As you get older your needs are simpler... I just want to walk in the countryside, check out some old churches/graveyards, have lunch in the pub and then go home! 🙂

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Melbpom said:

I moved back to the UK and lasted less than a year before moving back again. I thought I'd enjoy the colder climate but froze even in summer. When we landed back in Melbourne the waft of heat on a warm summer evening was such a relief.

There were other factors in my moving back, mostly my sons, but like Marisa I felt unfamiliar with the UK. I didn't belong there anymore, too Australian.

If you go, just be sure to research your entitlement to an Australian Centrelink pension. I think there are a few threads on the subject on this forum.

Glad you've found your forever home! And thanks for the advice re. the Australian Centrelink pension. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ramot said:

I appreciate our circumstances aren’t quite the same, but apart from the three covid years, as we are retired we have mostly spent 3 months of every year back in UK for the last 15 years. 
This is because we have a son and our only grandchildren living there.

We finally visited again last October, for 5 weeks. We decided 3 months was really too long now for us. Apparently it was a very mild autumn!? I was so cold! and when you added cold rain into the mix, I was plain miserable, there was no pleasure in being outdoors, and I did have the right clothing with me, but I have got out of the habit of wearing at least 3 layers of clothing, long trousers, socks and shoes wooly hat, gloves.                                  I live on the Sunshine Coast, and yes it does get hot and humid in summer, but only for a about 3 months, the rest of the year is usually glorious, and even today which has been very hot, I still went for my daily walk in the late afternoon, Mooloolaba was full of people enjoying the weather. 
The other thing that I also realised on this last visit,  like Melbpom, was that I was also more Australian now than I had realised. 
Neither my husband or I are in a hurry to return to UK, if at all. The journey is tedious at our age, and our son and family were very bound up in their own lives, best not to mention the hours our grandsons spent gaming, rather than communicating!!! and we don’t like the weather.                               So even if you have family in UK, like Marisa mentioned, be realistic about how much time you will actually spend time with them.

Good luck with your decision 

Thanks for responding and for sharing your experiences!

Hi @SusieOz we're in Cairns and also approaching retirement, and considering a move to cooler climes too! We just got back from Tasmania after a combined holiday and recky as a retirement destination, although that's another story.

I'd been in Australia for almost 15 years and had similar hankerings for the motherland. I moved back to the UK in April 2008, but returned to Australia in January 2011 (after enjoying one last 'real Christmas' over there). I was fortunate to have a job with the Queensland Government and was able to take 3 years unpaid leave, so I always had that safety net in place. I didn't own my own home at the time so that was another complication I was without, and just shipped over a few boxes. It wouldn't be so easy now that I'm married and have the whole kit and caboodle!

I loved my time back in the UK, in particular the £9.95 EasyJet flights to Europe (I guess they no longer exist), but also the quaint little walks and country pubs for which there are no substitute down under. But after two British winters, which seemed endless at the time, that was enough for me. It wasn't just the climate/weather though. I didn't feel as though I fitted in after such a long time away, and it was hard reconnecting with old friends after such an extended hiatus (as others have said). I also found British society had become increasingly fractured over the years. I imagine that can't have improved given the combined effects of Brexit, the pandemic, several farcical governments, and now the recession. Everyone's needs are different of course, and when you hold a great affection for a place then that makes up for a lot of short comings.

If I was in your shoes I'd consider renting out your home in Townsville for a year or so, and see how you go on. At least it will be easier (and less expensive) to return to Australia should you decide that the UK ultimately isn't for you.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

Hi @SusieOz we're in Cairns and also approaching retirement, and considering a move to cooler climes too! We just got back from Tasmania after a combined holiday and recky as a retirement destination, although that's another story.

I'd been in Australia for almost 15 years and had similar hankerings for the motherland. I moved back to the UK in April 2008, but returned to Australia in January 2011 (after enjoying one last 'real Christmas' over there). I was fortunate to have a job with the Queensland Government and was able to take 3 years unpaid leave, so I always had that safety net in place. I didn't own my own home at the time so that was another complication I was without, and just shipped over a few boxes. It wouldn't be so easy now that I'm married and have the whole kit and caboodle!

I loved my time back in the UK, in particular the £9.95 EasyJet flights to Europe (I guess they no longer exist), but also the quaint little walks and country pubs for which there are no substitute down under. But after two British winters, which seemed endless at the time, that was enough for me. It wasn't just the climate/weather though. I didn't feel as though I fitted in after such a long time away, and it was hard reconnecting with old friends after such an extended hiatus (as others have said). I also found British society had become increasingly fractured over the years. I imagine that can't have improved given the combined effects of Brexit, the pandemic, several farcical governments, and now the recession. Everyone's needs are different of course, and when you hold a great affection for a place then that makes up for a lot of short comings.

If I was in your shoes I'd consider renting out your home in Townsville for a year or so, and see how you go on. At least it will be easier (and less expensive) to return to Australia should you decide that the UK ultimately isn't for you.

Thanks for your response @InnerVoice. I had to smile... because next week we're going on hols in Tasmania for the same reasons! :-) Could I ask whether Tasmania appealed to you as a retirement destination? I have two worries about Tasmania... we'd be away from ALL family members (those in Townsville and UK) and would the island feel 'small' after a while? My issue in Townsville is the isolation and lack of things to do. I can see there's a lot of attractions in Tasmania but would it get 'samey' after a while given the size of the island? Just wondered what your findings/thoughts were. 

I appreciate your insights re. the UK (fractured society, long winters etc.). Also renting our place in Townsville while we 'try' the UK for size, makes sense... although there would be a lot of number crunching involved as we'd need to pay rent in the UK. If only we had two lives... so we could make all our mistakes in the first one and get it right the second time round! 

• Like 3

On 14/02/2023 at 16:59, SusieOz said:

Glad you've found your forever home! And thanks for the advice re. the Australian Centrelink pension. 

The rule for the Centrelink pension is simple.  If you move to the UK before you're eligible to claim the pension, you can never claim it (unless the rules change in future).  

As you know, if you have a big superannuation balance, you might never get the Centrelink pension if you stayed in Australia either, but most of us value it as a safety-net if our super runs low in our old age.  

If you haven't already, it would be worth looking into the British govt pension.  It's not means-tested, so you'll start receiving it as soon as you reach pensionable age.  If you've got enough existing years of NI contributions, you can 'top up' some of your missing years for a very reasonable sum.  That can go some way to compensating for the loss of the Australian govt pension.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SusieOz said:

I have two worries about Tasmania... we'd be away from ALL family members (those in Townsville and UK) and would the island feel 'small' after a while? My issue in Townsville is the isolation and lack of things to do.

Hobart isn't much bigger than Townsville so I would think amenities would be much the same within the city itself.   Launceston is smaller so might not suit you.  Otherwise you're pretty much in the country. 

The question to ask yourself is, what do you enjoy doing?  Then Google to see if you can do those things in Hobart (or in greater Tasmania).  I found driving easy in Tassie: you can get from Hobart to Launceston in two or three hours, for instance, on nice clear roads.  If you enjoy country and beach walks, you'll find lots of beautiful scenery, and of course the weather is cool enough to enjoy it (though the rain might stop you sometimes, just like the UK!).  

We considered Hobart when we returned from the UK and still haven't entirely given up on the idea.  Like you, my husband is concerned about feeling isolated.  It's a psychological thing rather than a real fear, as we know there's lots to keep us busy in Hobart.  We're also concerned about not having family or friends around.  We don't have family in Melbourne either (where we are now), however the U3A (university of the third age) is extremely active in Melbourne and we've made a host of friends through that.  The U3A and seniors' organisations in Hobart don't seem to be so active.

I know @ramot has spoken about how good the Sunshine Coast is for retired people, with lots of activities going on.  It's not a huge change of climate but it would be cooler and much less isolated than where you are now.  You could also take a look at other cities which are attracting a lot of retirees, where you could be part of the seniors' community.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, SusieOz said:

Thanks for your response @InnerVoice. I had to smile... because next week we're going on hols in Tasmania for the same reasons! :-) Could I ask whether Tasmania appealed to you as a retirement destination? I have two worries about Tasmania... we'd be away from ALL family members (those in Townsville and UK) and would the island feel 'small' after a while? My issue in Townsville is the isolation and lack of things to do. I can see there's a lot of attractions in Tasmania but would it get 'samey' after a while given the size of the island? Just wondered what your findings/thoughts were. 

I appreciate your insights re. the UK (fractured society, long winters etc.). Also renting our place in Townsville while we 'try' the UK for size, makes sense... although there would be a lot of number crunching involved as we'd need to pay rent in the UK. If only we had two lives... so we could make all our mistakes in the first one and get it right the second time round! 

We retired to the north west coast of Tasmania from Sydney 9 years ago.  We love it here.  I much prefer the climate here.  I am able to share 3 horses and their upkeep with friends and that is one of my hobbies.  Always wanted to have a horse!  Tasmania is approx the size of Switzerland and Ireland and we enjoy exploring the island at all times of the year.  I have very good friends here so that makes for a ready made social life.  Voluntary work also keep me busy.  We go back to Sydney now and again to visit our son/friends and also Melbourne so we don't feel isolated at all.

My sister is has been staying with us since the end of September.  She is a city person.  She lived all her working life in London and retired to Edinburgh but even she has been really enjoying the summer here and the laid back lifestyle.  She returns to Edinburgh early next month.

@InnerVoice I was wondering how your reccie went.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, SusieOz said:

Hi Susie,

You might want to have a look at my post Retiring in Tasmania, from about a month ago.

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/216384-retiring-in-tasmania/

I'd intended to write a follow-up comment today now we're back home, but I got a bit side-tracked commenting on your post! 😃

In short, there's plenty to see and do in Tasmania (lots more than in Townsville), but I think the sense of isolation would still exist - especially as you would have no family down there. If you factored that out then I think Tassie would give the UK a good run for its money as a potential retirement destination.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The rule for the Centrelink pension is simple.  If you move to the UK before you're eligible to claim the pension, you can never claim it (unless the rules change in future).  

As you know, if you have a big superannuation balance, you might never get the Centrelink pension if you stayed in Australia either, but most of us value it as a safety-net if our super runs low in our old age.  

If you haven't already, it would be worth looking into the British govt pension.  It's not means-tested, so you'll start receiving it as soon as you reach pensionable age.  If you've got enough existing years of NI contributions, you can 'top up' some of your missing years for a very reasonable sum.  That can go some way to compensating for the loss of the Australian govt pension.

@Marisawright Thanks so much! Really appreciate it!

19 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Hobart isn't much bigger than Townsville so I would think amenities would be much the same within the city itself.   Launceston is smaller so might not suit you.  Otherwise you're pretty much in the country. 

The question to ask yourself is, what do you enjoy doing?  Then Google to see if you can do those things in Hobart (or in greater Tasmania).  I found driving easy in Tassie: you can get from Hobart to Launceston in two or three hours, for instance, on nice clear roads.  If you enjoy country and beach walks, you'll find lots of beautiful scenery, and of course the weather is cool enough to enjoy it (though the rain might stop you sometimes, just like the UK!).  

We considered Hobart when we returned from the UK and still haven't entirely given up on the idea.  Like you, my husband is concerned about feeling isolated.  It's a psychological thing rather than a real fear, as we know there's lots to keep us busy in Hobart.  We're also concerned about not having family or friends around.  We don't have family in Melbourne either (where we are now), however the U3A (university of the third age) is extremely active in Melbourne and we've made a host of friends through that.  The U3A and seniors' organisations in Hobart don't seem to be so active.

I know @ramot has spoken about how good the Sunshine Coast is for retired people, with lots of activities going on.  It's not a huge change of climate but it would be cooler and much less isolated than where you are now.  You could also take a look at other cities which are attracting a lot of retirees, where you could be part of the seniors' community.

Thanks @Marisawright really appreciate all your insights. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Toots said:

We retired to the north west coast of Tasmania from Sydney 9 years ago.  We love it here.  I much prefer the climate here.  I am able to share 3 horses and their upkeep with friends and that is one of my hobbies.  Always wanted to have a horse!  Tasmania is approx the size of Switzerland and Ireland and we enjoy exploring the island at all times of the year.  I have very good friends here so that makes for a ready made social life.  Voluntary work also keep me busy.  We go back to Sydney now and again to visit our son/friends and also Melbourne so we don't feel isolated at all.

My sister is has been staying with us since the end of September.  She is a city person.  She lived all her working life in London and retired to Edinburgh but even she has been really enjoying the summer here and the laid back lifestyle.  She returns to Edinburgh early next month.

@InnerVoice I was wondering how your reccie went.

Thank @Toots! Sounds like a lovely lifestyle. I appreciate you taking the time to share.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Hi Susie,

You might want to have a look at my post Retiring in Tasmania, from about a month ago.

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/216384-retiring-in-tasmania/

I'd intended to write a follow-up comment today now we're back home, but I got a bit side-tracked commenting on your post! 😃

In short, there's plenty to see and do in Tasmania (lots more than in Townsville), but I think the sense of isolation would still exist - especially as you would have no family down there. If you factored that out then I think Tassie would give the UK a good run for its money as a potential retirement destination.

Thanks @InnerVoice for sharing that thread... very informative! I look forward to reading about your Tassie experiences when you catch your breath! :-)

• Like 1

On 15/02/2023 at 16:51, Marisawright said:

Sorry this question is a bit off-topic, but assuming you've met the 10 year residency requirement for the Australian Age Pension with prior residency, could you go and live overseas for a few years and then return to Australia before you're 67, and still get the AAP without any issues? Also, if you returned after 67 (or the age when you become eligible), would that create any complications?

We were just pondering the possibility of living in Europe for a few years (France, Spain or Portugal), rather than go there for expensive holidays!

Edited by InnerVoice

2 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Sorry this question is a bit off-topic, but assuming you've met the 10 year residency requirement for the Australian Age Pension with prior residency, could you go and live overseas for a few years and then return to Australia before you're 67, and still get the AAP without any issues? Also, if you returned after 67 (or the age when you become eligible), would that create any complications?

There should be no problem with doing that, as far as I'm aware.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

We were just pondering the possibility of living in Europe for a few years (France, Spain or Portugal), rather than go there for expensive holidays!

Once you have the pension it is transportable to other countries , with reductions in cheaper Asian countries from my understanding. Actually a great idea and one we are pondering , but probably won't get the State Pension as stands. 

I can recommend The Costa Bravo down from Barcelona. Loads of British and other expats and far more going on. Worth checking out, as well  is Portugal, ( one of my favourites. Most speak English, especially down south.  Just remember with Brexit though, if you are only on UK/Australian passports you can only stay in the Euro zone  90 days in a 180. That does complicate things somewhat, which is the reason I'm applying for a EU passport. To get a favourable rental lease you will normally be required to sign a longer term contract like a year. Short terms will be at more holiday let levels. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Once you have the pension it is transportable to other countries , with reductions in cheaper Asian countries from my understanding. Actually a great idea and one we are pondering , but probably won't get the State Pension as stands. 

I can recommend The Costa Bravo down from Barcelona. Loads of British and other expats and far more going on. Worth checking out, as well  is Portugal, ( one of my favourites. Most speak English, especially down south.  Just remember with Brexit though, if you are only on UK/Australian passports you can only stay in the Euro zone  90 days in a 180. That does complicate things somewhat, which is the reason I'm applying for a EU passport. To get a favourable rental lease you will normally be required to sign a longer term contract like a year. Short terms will be at more holiday let levels. 

Portugal also has some great tax incentives for expats. I'm fortunate enough to have an EU passport but my wife doesn't, so I guess we'd have to do a bit of juggling there.

23 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

Portugal also has some great tax incentives for expats. I'm fortunate enough to have an EU passport but my wife doesn't, so I guess we'd have to do a bit of juggling there.

If you are an EU citizen then your spouse has right of residency, or at least, that was the case only two years ago.  Worth checking.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If you are an EU citizen then your spouse has right of residency, or at least, that was the case only two years ago.  Worth checking.

Thanks for letting me know - I wasn't aware that it was that simple. I will definitely look into that. I know that if we ever moved to the UK then it would be a right rigmarole!