Manchester City/Premier league supporters

Hi guys,

So I am moving to Hobart, TAS in May, and will be there for up to year, followed by a move to Queensland.

I am a Manchester City supporter having grown up in Manchester, and am trying to find information on supporters clubs or places to watch? 

Does anyone know if there is any kind of culture around the UK premier league in Australia? Specifically Manchester City? Are there late night places showing the games, or any supporter groups that I could watch games with, or am I destined to stream the games by myself at silly times at night 😭

2 hours ago, Ollie2212 said:

Hi guys,

So I am moving to Hobart, TAS in May, and will be there for up to year, followed by a move to Queensland.

I am a Manchester City supporter having grown up in Manchester, and am trying to find information on supporters clubs or places to watch? 

Does anyone know if there is any kind of culture around the UK premier league in Australia? Specifically Manchester City? Are there late night places showing the games, or any supporter groups that I could watch games with, or am I destined to stream the games by myself at silly times at night 😭

Most Premier and Championship teams have groups and pages on facebook, some country-wide, some specific to States or cities.  Frequent meet-ups for game are quite common. In Brisbane, if that is where you are heading in Qld, the main place is the Eagle St Pig & Whislte.

Re streaming, Optus sport cost about $10 a month if you are a mobile customer and streams ALL premier league games, so you won't miss any except for stupid timing.  They also have a choice of highlights (3 mins, 9 mins, 25 mins, full game) on the app so I tend to watch them first thing in the morning for midweek games.  I am an LCFC fan so not missing much this season frankly.  

There is a local football league (A-League) no one watches it, but everyone below the age of 30 support a premier League team

(Liverpool, Man C or U, Chelsea - you can't accuse the Aussies of being glory hunters)

If you support one of the unholy quartet you will find others who do the same, whether you support football or obscene overseas interventionist money though is a matter for your conscience

(Note if you are below 40 and support City it's generally because of middle East glory cash - if older than that and supporting city, congratulations you are a true football supporter)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 06/02/2023 at 19:00, Ausvisitor said:

(Note if you are below 40 and support City it's generally because of middle East glory cash - if older than that and supporting city, congratulations you are a true football supporter)

Thank you, @Ausvisitor - I will take that as a compliment! I am a lifelong City supporter (for my sins) and was at the 1981 FA cup final reply when Spurs beat City 3-2 - one of the best cup finals ever, and the closest City got to winning any silverware for 36 years. Gutted to see them lose but with 100,000 people in attendance the atmosphere was electric - and then there was THAT goal 🙄 When they finally won the FA Cup again 30 years later I was almost past caring because as you say, it's all about the money these days. That said, I'm glad City have enjoyed their success in the last 10 years as the (real) fans deserve it. Even when we were relegated to the old 3rd division, we were still getting gates of 25,000 to see them play sh1t football against even sh1tter teams. My grandparents lived half a mile from Maine Rd so we were often there. £2 to stand in the Kippax - those were the days!