Residency, tax and split year treatment

Don QuayPoly

If moving from Australia to the UK part way through a UK tax year, does the number of days resident in the UK matter? I’ve read about a 180 day rule and don’t fully understand what it means. Let’s say we arrive in the UK in July 2023. Would all (worldwide) income received from April 2023 through to April 2024 be reported as UK income? Do conditions apply for split year treatment? Assume no non-dom status.

15 hours ago, Don QuayPoly said:

If moving from Australia to the UK part way through a UK tax year, does the number of days resident in the UK matter? I’ve read about a 180 day rule and don’t fully understand what it means. Let’s say we arrive in the UK in July 2023. Would all (worldwide) income received from April 2023 through to April 2024 be reported as UK income? Do conditions apply for split year treatment? Assume no non-dom status.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/residence-domicile-and-remittance-basis/rdrm12000

Split year tax treatment in the UK is discussed here.

If you need help feel able to contact me directly.

Best regards.