Where to live around or a few hours from wagga wagga

Squirlies

We're currently in the process of emergrating. My husband has been offered a job through sponsorship in wagga wagga. Can anyone recommend where is a good place to live for a family. We were hoping to live near the coast but it's just too far away. We don't mind being a few hours from wagga wagga. 

Thank you 

1 hour ago, Squirlies said:

We're currently in the process of emergrating. My husband has been offered a job through sponsorship in wagga wagga. Can anyone recommend where is a good place to live for a family. We were hoping to live near the coast but it's just too far away. We don't mind being a few hours from wagga wagga. 

Thank you 

Wagga is as good a place as any. There isn't much else that would justify you being a couple of hours away. BTW - I commented on your other post. NSW is one of the states that charge school fees for temporary visa holders - abt.$6k pa per student I think now. If you arrive by the end of this week your 16 year old could go into year 11 - but she can't really start half way through HSC so she may have to go into a much younger cohort when she does arrive or do HSC at TAFE or something. 

3 hours ago, Squirlies said:

If your husband is getting a 482 visa, then you're not emigrating, you're just moving to Australia on a temporary work contract.  Towards the end of the 482, there is a possibility that you might be able to emigrate permanently, IF the employer is willing to sponsor him and IF his occupation is still on the list and IF the rules haven't changed.  

Employers talk about the "transition" from the 482 visa to permanency as if it's all straightforward and easy, but that's not always true.  We have many members who did it successfully, but we've had just as many sad stories of families who moved lock,stock and barrel believing it couldn't go wrong, and who ended up going home after 2 years having spent a fortune.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great opportunity for you all to experience Australia, but the safest thing is to plan as if it's a temporary adventure, not a forever move at this stage.  Then if it all goes smoothly it will be a bonus. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

Can anyone recommend where is a good place to live for a family. We were hoping to live near the coast but it's just too far away. We don't mind being a few hours from wagga wagga. 

Wagga has a population of 70,000.  That's only the same size as Folkstone or Guildford or Tunbridge Wells.  I think you'll need to live in Wagga to find schools for your children, as anywhere outside Wagga is going to be a tiny country town with few amenities.

If you're really willing to live "a few hours away", you could consider living on the northern outskirts of Canberra, which has a population of 400,000 people (similar size to Bristol).  However do bear in mind that's 3 hours' driving at top speed in all weathers (and roads can be treacherous here too!).  I certainly wouldn't want to do that commute too frequently.  The good thing about Canberra is that it takes you within striking distance of the coast. Lots of Canberrans go to Batemans Bay for the weekend. 

1 hour ago, Squirlies said:

Thank you for your reply. We have taken into account the school fees and medical costs. I think I may have to stay in the uk until they both finish their schools here 

Not quite sure if you mean you will all stay in UK or just you plus the children? If you mean the latter? 

I had to balance part time living between Brunei for 10 years with my husband who was working there, and with our 3 children who had to stay in  England  as there was no education there for them past age 14. Unless there is absolutely no choice I absolutely don’t recommend splitting your family up unless there is no alternative. Unless you have lived that life you have no idea how hard it is on everyone. If you intend to make the move to Australia permanent, then accept the education system is different. I realise cost comes into it, but from my experience the cost to a split family life outweighs that. 

Expat children that we have known, have moved schools all over the place and have adapted and gone on to do well. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

@ramot, what makes it harder in this case, is that Squirly's husband will be on a 482 visa which is only a temporary visa (2 to 4 years).  So there's no certainty the children will still be in Australia for their university/college studies, if they decide to pursue further education.  A difficult one.

I agree, but staying apart for 2-4 years, plus add in cost of flights to see each other, isn’t much of an alternative. Some serious decisions need to be thought through. 

Wish you all the best Squirlies xM

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If your husband is getting a 482 visa, then you're not emigrating, you're just moving to Australia on a temporary work contract.  Towards the end of the 482, there is a possibility that you might be able to emigrate permanently, IF the employer is willing to sponsor him and IF his occupation is still on the list and IF the rules haven't changed.  

Employers talk about the "transition" from the 482 visa to permanency as if it's all straightforward and easy, but that's not always true.  We have many members who did it successfully, but we've had just as many sad stories of families who moved lock,stock and barrel believing it couldn't go wrong, and who ended up going home after 2 years having spent a fortune.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great opportunity for you all to experience Australia, but the safest thing is to plan as if it's a temporary adventure, not a forever move at this stage.  Then if it all goes smoothly it will be a bonus. 

His employer is also willing to start the process of a permanent visa as soon as we're able to apply. We're going on the 482 first to get him out there quicker. His employer has said if he could sign him up now for ten year contract he would. 

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Wagga has a population of 70,000.  That's only the same size as Folkstone or Guildford or Tunbridge Wells.  I think you'll need to live in Wagga to find schools for your children, as anywhere outside Wagga is going to be a tiny country town with few amenities.

If you're really willing to live "a few hours away", you could consider living on the northern outskirts of Canberra, which has a population of 400,000 people (similar size to Bristol).  However do bear in mind that's 3 hours' driving at top speed in all weathers (and roads can be treacherous here too!).  I certainly wouldn't want to do that commute too frequently.  The good thing about Canberra is that it takes you within striking distance of the coast. Lots of Canberrans go to Batemans Bay for the weekend. 

I hesitated to suggest Canberra - cost of housing here is eye watering and I wouldn't be wanting to travel to Wagga that often!!! You could do it in reverse tho and visit Canberra for random activities. My granddaughter is coming 4 hours each way each weekend for dance at the moment. There is Albury Wodonga but that wouldnt be much better of an improvement and it wouldn't be an interesting commute on a regular basis.   Thinking of schooling, Wagga is probably likely to be it for many hours around but NSW has a significant distance Ed program that can provide an alternative if you dont want a long commute.  The area around Wagga bears no resemblance to the British countryside though with long stretches of bugger all. 

Wagga has a nice pool and quite a vibrant swimming club and they've produced some top class cricketers over the years so there should be quite a bit going on. There also Kapooka down the road and with quite a large army camp there will be other opportunities. 

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Thank you for your advice. We are going to look at all areas. We would like to live near the beach but unfortunately the job he's been offered is hours away. Currently in the UK he works away all week so is used to commuting 

1 minute ago, Squirlies said:

His employer is also willing to start the process of a permanent visa as soon as we're able to apply. We're going on the 482 first to get him out there quicker. His employer has said if he could sign him up now for ten year contract he would. 

Hmm, yup, we've heard that before too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squirlies said:

Thank you for your advice. We are going to look at all areas. We would like to live near the beach but unfortunately the job he's been offered is hours away. Currently in the UK he works away all week so is used to commuting 

The beach is going to be 5-6 hours away, but on the plus side, Wagga is going to give you the "real" Australia. Canberra has lakes!!!!  

Edited by Quoll

3 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Hmm, yup, we've heard that before too. 

We are willing to try. He's been offered sponsorship through another company also and he's Been offered work by a different company again. 4 years is better than sitting back here and wishing we had done it. He's nearly 40 so time is running out 

• Like 2

Honestly, if the job's in Wagga Wagga, then plan to live there.   Even if you live three or four hours away, you'll still be hours from the coast, so what benefit are you hoping to gain from living somewhere else?

Wagga Wagga is small enough that you can live on the outskirts and feel like you're in the country, but you'll have all the amenities of a proper town, and certainly the best schooling for many many miles around.   Like any city, Wagga has its share of rough suburbs, but you're going to find that everywhere, just like in cities in the UK.  Overall it's a nice town on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River.

https://huntsmanrecruiting.com.au/2019/04/02/why-i-moved-from-canberra-to-wagga-wagga/

https://www.homestolove.com.au/wagga-wagga-nsw-23929

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Honestly, if the job's in Wagga Wagga, then plan to live there.   Even if you live three or four hours away, you'll still be hours from the coast, so what benefit are you hoping to gain from living somewhere else?

Wagga Wagga is small enough that you can live on the outskirts and feel like you're in the country, but you'll have all the amenities of a proper town, and certainly the best schooling for many many miles around.   Like any city, Wagga has its share of rough suburbs, but you're going to find that everywhere, just like in cities in the UK.  Overall it's a nice town on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River.

https://huntsmanrecruiting.com.au/2019/04/02/why-i-moved-from-canberra-to-wagga-wagga/

https://www.homestolove.com.au/wagga-wagga-nsw-23929

Thank you so much for all the information you have shared. It's been very helpful 

• Like 1

On 25/01/2023 at 00:04, Marisawright said:

@ramot, what makes it harder in this case, is that Squirly's husband will be on a 482 visa which is only a temporary visa (2 to 4 years).  So there's no certainty the children will still be in Australia for their university/college studies, if they decide to pursue further education.  A difficult one.

Wouldn't our eldest be eligible for university straight away. What uk qualifications do you need for australian universities 

2 hours ago, Squirlies said:

She would of just finished her A levels. When looking at university requirements I'm not getting much information and what she needs 

There is a conversion on the UWA. Site, it'll be essentially comparable https://www.uwa.edu.au/study/how-to-apply/international-and-overseas-qualifications/gce-a-levels

Or here for SA  (page 6)

Wagga has a Charles Sturt campus but she may have to go to Canberra or Sydney for a broader range. It depends on what she wants to study.  International student fees are going to be rather steep

https://study.csu.edu.au/international/apply/course-entry-requirements

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quoll said:

There is a conversion on the UWA. Site, it'll be essentially comparable https://www.uwa.edu.au/study/how-to-apply/international-and-overseas-qualifications/gce-a-levels

Or here for SA  

Wagga has a Charles Sturt campus but she may have to go to Canberra or Sydney for a broader range. It depends on what she wants to study.  International student fees are going to be rather steep

Thank you for the information. Will take a look.

We have taken Into account paying International fees. Is this on top of other fees or is it all one fee per year? 

8 hours ago, Squirlies said:

Thank you for the information. Will take a look.

We have taken Into account paying International fees. Is this on top of other fees or is it all one fee per year? 

There'll be an admin/services fee, usually but it'll only be $300-400 which is peanuts against the.$30,000-40,000 you may pay for the course (that's middle of the range, they can be over $60k pa for the medical, dental etc. I think fees are paid up front per semester.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/01/2023 at 10:38, Marisawright said:

Canberra now 472,000.  Oh and smart Ken Behrens avoid Batemans Bay like the plague, many other far better areas on the south coast 

• Like 1