AITSL help..

Thompsons23

Hi all. Myself and my husband are in the process of submitting an EOI for a 189 visa. I’m a secondary school teacher so will be the main applicant. 

I know I have to have my skills assessed through AITSL but the migration agent we are using wants 2,300 dollars for assisting with that. Seems a little excessive to me. I have all my certificates for my bachelors and my masters but can anyone provide any advice for what I need from the university to prove my supervised teaching practice and do I need to get academic transcripts for each year of study or is that only for graduates from Australian universities? And is there anything else I would need to provide? 

Thank you in advance. 

22 minutes ago, Thompsons23 said:

Thank you for your reply. I will google ‘Yep …’ and see what comes up. 

Hopefully i get a more positive answer. 

"Yep" in the sense that this quote seems "a little excessive" to me as well, given that there is not much to an AITSL skills assessment. Your agent should be more than willing to answer your questions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paulhand said:

"Yep" in the sense that this quote seems "a little excessive" to me as well, given that there is not much to an AITSL skills assessment. Your agent should be more than willing to answer your questions.

My agent is trying to charge 2,300 dollars. Which is a rip off, to put it bluntly. I’m not here for a war of words with a keyboard warrior, if you don’t have anything positive and constructive to help, please refrain from posting. Thanks. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Thompsons23 said:

My agent is trying to charge 2,300 dollars. Which is a rip off, to put it bluntly. I’m not here for a war of words with a keyboard warrior, if you don’t have anything positive and constructive to help, please refrain from posting. Thanks. 

I think if you read back you might see you've got this one all wrong.

Paul, who is a respected and very helpful migration agent responded to your specific point about the charge from your agent, agreeing that it seemed high.  You responded to that in a somewhat sarcastic manner, and he came back with a more verbose response.  For his efforts you've rewarded him with name calling and have dismissed him from further input.  I can't see anything in the content nor tone of his response that you might take offence at. 

You've come here for advice and whilst the rest of us are well-meaning amateurs sharing what we know based on our experiences, he is literally an expert.  One I've personally used and would highly recommend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I think if you read back you might see you've got this one all wrong.

Paul, who is a respected and very helpful migration agent responded to your specific point about the charge from your agent, agreeing that it seemed high.  You responded to that in a somewhat sarcastic manner, and he came back with a more verbose response.  For his efforts you've rewarded him with name calling and have dismissed him from further input.  I can't see anything in the content nor tone of his response that you might take offence at. 

You've come here for advice and whilst the rest of us are well-meaning amateurs sharing what we know based on our experiences, he is literally an expert.  One I've personally used and would highly recommend.

Cheers for your reply. I haven’t got anything wrong. 

The only sarcasm came from Paul’s first response. As I said I’m not here for a verbal tennis match with someone sat behind a keyboard. Im here for advice. Im allowed an opinion on migrant agent charges and so is Paul. No need for his blunt and sarcastic reply in the first instance. There are hundreds of threads on forums such as these for people asking advice on matters that a migrant agent could help with, the point of coming to said forums is to try and save money and get help from well meaning amateurs. I can get help from an agent if I am willing to pay for it. In this instance, I am not. I thought people were helpful and genuine. If he is a migrant agent, he really needs to take a look at his own conduct, I hope he doesn’t treat his clients with the same level of sarcasm he has shown me when I’m only asking for help. 

He could have helped me or refrained from posting if he couldn’t help. Simple. 

We are all behind a keyboard …

My reply wasn’t meant to be sarcastic (although it was short and to the point), I was just agreeing with you that the price quoted for assisting with an AITSL skills assessment seemed high. That should have been helpful in assessing whether you were getting value for money  

I answer lots of questions here but as you said you already have a migration agent retained, my code of conduct doesn’t permit me to also advise you. 

i guess my point was that if you have an agent retained, based on what they must be charging for the rest of the application, answering some basic questions on the skills assessment process for no, or a nominal, fee would be reasonable. It’s certainly what I would be doing for my clients if they do the skills assessment without me (which is actually what I generally suggest for AITSL). 

• Like 1

I'm a nurse not a teacher but just got my positive skills assesment back from ANMAC today and I did it myself with no help from an agent so paying that much money is totally unecessary. Like teaching for nurses they wanted the certificate, transcript and a breakdown of hours both placement and theory. I just got in touch with my university since a transcript gives information on modules and marks for all three years but doesn't include the hours/placement details. They sent me the generic module syllabus information which included a breakdown of hours on it and a separate list of my specific placements with how many hours I did on them. The module syllabus info was about 18 pages and you had to look for the info so I wasn't sure if they would accept it but they did. I would just email your university, mine were happy to help. If they won't just send you the info you might be able to purchse it, duplicate of the transcript etc. They might have put something together for someone else so know what's needed. My university also sent me a letter confirming the course was taught and assessed in English which I didn't ask for but I will need later to register with AHPRA so you probably won't be the first one. 

On 24/01/2023 at 17:48, paulhand said:

We are all behind a keyboard …

My reply wasn’t meant to be sarcastic (although it was short and to the point), I was just agreeing with you that the price quoted for assisting with an AITSL skills assessment seemed high. That should have been helpful in assessing whether you were getting value for money  

I answer lots of questions here but as you said you already have a migration agent retained, my code of conduct doesn’t permit me to also advise you. 

i guess my point was that if you have an agent retained, based on what they must be charging for the rest of the application, answering some basic questions on the skills assessment process for no, or a nominal, fee would be reasonable. It’s certainly what I would be doing for my clients if they do the skills assessment without me (which is actually what I generally suggest for AITSL). 

Apologies in coming back to you have been away. I’m sorry Paul but It seemed you were coming across in a completely different manner and it seems I have you wrong. So I am sorry. 

On 24/01/2023 at 19:08, RubyMonday said:

I'm a nurse not a teacher but just got my positive skills assesment back from ANMAC today and I did it myself with no help from an agent so paying that much money is totally unecessary. Like teaching for nurses they wanted the certificate, transcript and a breakdown of hours both placement and theory. I just got in touch with my university since a transcript gives information on modules and marks for all three years but doesn't include the hours/placement details. They sent me the generic module syllabus information which included a breakdown of hours on it and a separate list of my specific placements with how many hours I did on them. The module syllabus info was about 18 pages and you had to look for the info so I wasn't sure if they would accept it but they did. I would just email your university, mine were happy to help. If they won't just send you the info you might be able to purchse it, duplicate of the transcript etc. They might have put something together for someone else so know what's needed. My university also sent me a letter confirming the course was taught and assessed in English which I didn't ask for but I will need later to register with AHPRA so you probably won't be the first one. 

Many thanks for the reply Ruby. I appreciate it. 

• Like 1