Partner visa queries

emanyalpsid

On 24/01/2023 at 20:30, Tulip1 said:

Pretty sure you can’t get citizenship until you have lived in Australia for four years.  As for when PR is granted.  You need to validate the visa within 12 months by passing through immigration (you could land and leave again straight away I think) and you have a total of 5 years from PR grant to arrive (and remain) in Australia. 

I presume you have to validate the visa 12 months from approval not application date?

I've been reading some other threads and its been mentioned a few people have been caught out by quicker than expected visa processing hence you have to bring your plans forward?

24 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

If I recall it is 12 months from your police check / medical whichever is earlier.  I put them all in at once and therefore had only 4 months to validate.  

Do you have the option to put the police check & medical further on in the application then? Be a bit crazy if visa approved 11 or 12 months after these

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

If I recall it is 12 months from your police check / medical whichever is earlier.  I put them all in at once and therefore had only 4 months to validate.  

1 hour ago, emanyalpsid said:

Do you have the option to put the police check & medical further on in the application then? Be a bit crazy if visa approved 11 or 12 months after these

It is now 12 months from grant …. but yes,  you can add them at any point. They will ask you for them if they are ready to make a decision and you haven’t yet provided them. 

• Like 2

On 25/01/2023 at 08:24, Marisawright said:

Once you have PR, it's 4 years before you can apply for citizenship.   In some states during the pandemic, it was taking a year or more from application to having citizenship conferred, but it should speed up again now. 

In the interim, the only downside of not having citizenship is in employment:  many government bodies require their employees to be citizens. It doesn't affect much else about your life, apart from not being obliged to vote!  

When PR is granted, it will show the date by which you MUST arrive.  Fail to arrive by that date and you lose the visa.  However, all you have to do is fly over to Australia, go through Immigration to "activate" the visa, and you could turn straight round and get the next plane back.  Once that's done, you'll have almost 5 years to make the permanent move. 

It was taking a lot longer than that prior to the pandemic, it was more that 23 months at one point. We applied in Oct 2018 and got citizenship in Dec 2019 but that was only because our local council put on an extra 'no frills' ceremony to cut back on the back log and was on a first come first served basis. If they hadn't done that the ceremony we had been allocated was March 2020. We were quite happy at the time as most people were waiting a lot longer.