Teaching couple weighing up options… any insight appreciated!

JJTeacher

58 minutes ago, JJTeacher said:

Thanks everyone for your comments . We are open to area but slowly doing our research and narrowing it down. Interested in either NSW, SA or VIC probably a big town near the coast. 

Maybe have a think about what's your definition of "big".  It may help to look at a list of UK cities by population so you've got something to compare, but do remember the one important difference:  in the UK, most towns will be within an hour or two of a major city, so it doesn't matter if it's too small to have many amenities.  In Australia, you might be facing a four or five hour drive to get to a major city.

Suggestions? Geelong and Newcastle are the largest outside the capitals, and are popular with young families. Both still suffer from a reputation as rough working-class cities, which was true when I arrived thirty-odd years ago, but boy, have they changed.  I'm seeing a lot of families move there rather than being stuck in the outer suburbs of Melbourne and Sydney, because the lifestyle is so much better for young families.  Both have good beaches.

As @Rallyman pointed out, I wouldn't rule out Adelaide even though it's a capital.  It's not as sprawling as the other capitals, so it's possible to have a less urban experience and still work in the city without a horrible commute.  There isn't really any other choice in SA: next biggest city is Mt Gambier, but as its population is less than 30,000 and it's five hours from Adelaide, I think you might find it a bit of a culture shock!  Also I have a suspicion it might be more of a retirees' paradise.

You're spoiled for choice in NSW because there are so many towns dotted along the coast.  Look at the "suburb reviews" on Homely.com.au to get some idea of places. Here's the Coffs Harbour one, for instance:

https://www.homely.com.au/coffs-harbour-coffs-harbour-mid-north-coast-new-south-wales

Like all review sites, take the reviews with a pinch of salt!

The Victorian coast is less popular (except with surfers) because it's so windswept.  There's nothing between it and Antarctica except little Tasmania!   Actually, that sounds worse than it is, but basically the weather in Victoria is often closer to British weather than Australian weather, because we're so far south.  I used to live in Sydney and when I moved to Melbourne, I had to buy woollen hats, gloves and scarves again.  I'd say that while you can certainly get a better beach lifestyle in Victoria than in most of England, it's not the reliable sun you're probably thinking of.  It's the height of summer as I type this, and I'm in my warm track pants and a jumper.

Edited by Marisawright

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Maybe have a think about what's your definition of "big".  It may help to look at a list of UK cities by population so you've got something to compare, but do remember the one important difference:  in the UK, most towns will be within an hour or two of a major city, so it doesn't matter if it's too small to have many amenities.  In Australia, you might be facing a four or five hour drive to get to a major city.

Suggestions? Geelong and Newcastle are the largest outside the capitals, and are popular with young families. Both still suffer from a reputation as rough working-class cities, which was true when I arrived thirty-odd years ago, but boy, have they changed.  I'm seeing a lot of families move there rather than being stuck in the outer suburbs of Melbourne and Sydney, because the lifestyle is so much better for young families.  Both have good beaches.

As @Rallyman pointed out, I wouldn't rule out Adelaide even though it's a capital.  It's not as sprawling as the other capitals, so it's possible to have a less urban experience and still work in the city without a horrible commute.  There isn't really any other choice in SA: next biggest city is Mt Gambier, but as its population is less than 30,000 and it's five hours from Adelaide, I think you might find it a bit of a culture shock!  Also I have a suspicion it might be more of a retirees' paradise.

You're spoiled for choice in NSW because there are so many towns dotted along the coast.  Look at the "suburb reviews" on Homely.com.au to get some idea of places. Here's the Coffs Harbour one, for instance:

https://www.homely.com.au/coffs-harbour-coffs-harbour-mid-north-coast-new-south-wales

The Victorian coast is less popular (except with surfers) because it's so windswept.  There's nothing between it and Antarctica except little Tasmania!   Actually, that sounds worse than it is, but basically the weather in Victoria is often closer to British weather than Australian weather, because we're so far south.  I used to live in Sydney and when I moved to Melbourne, I had to buy woollen hats, gloves and scarves again.  I'd say that while you can certainly get a better beach lifestyle in Victoria than in most of England, it's not the reliable sun you're probably thinking of.  It's the height of summer as I type this, and I'm in my warm track pants and a jumper.

It's 19C here at the moment but is forecast 24C in the afternoon.  Gorgeous day.  Just come back from a long walk and will have a swim later.  I haven't worn a jumper since October except for the other day when the weather was cold and wet.  My sister has been happy to escape the Scottish winter.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

It's 19C here at the moment but is forecast 24C in the afternoon.  Gorgeous day.  Just come back from a long walk and will have a swim later.  I haven't worn a jumper since October except for the other day when the weather was cold and wet.  My sister has been happy to escape the Scottish winter.

Melbourne has been freezing this last week.   Victoria even had some snow.  Personally, I'm not complaining, because I don't handle heat and humidity well.   Melbourne weather suits me fine, and I fancy I'd like Tassie weather too.  

However, I've lost count of the number of tourists I've met (for some reason, I seem to attract people asking directions), who comment, "I didn't expect Australian weather to be like this".   So I'm always conscious of warning would-be migrants not to expect Home and Away weather here!

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Melbourne has been freezing this last week.   Victoria even had some snow.  Personally, I'm not complaining, because I don't handle heat and humidity well.   Melbourne weather suits me fine, and I fancy I'd like Tassie weather too.  

However, I've lost count of the number of tourists I've met (for some reason, I seem to attract people asking directions), who comment, "I didn't expect Australian weather to be like this".   So I'm always conscious of warning would-be migrants not to expect Home and Away weather here!

True, I often go up to palm beach (where the outdoor shots are filmed) and redden/Lewisham/summer hill where the studio shots are done, and my advice would be don't expect Summer Bay weather in Summer Bay either 😉

16 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

True, I often go up to palm beach (where the outdoor shots are filmed) and redden/Lewisham/summer hill where the studio shots are done, and my advice would be don't expect Summer Bay weather in Summer Bay either 😉

Well, obviously it's not going to be gloriously sunny every day, (there is such a thing as winter even in Sydney), but on the whole, I'm sure you know it's a heck of a lot sunnier than Melbourne. In fact, I believe Sydney has about double the number of sunny days. 

The rainfall is higher in Sydney but to me, it definitely doesn't feel like it.  In Sydney, the rain arrives in great dumps, (the first time I saw Sydney rain when I arrived, I was sure it was a monsoon), and then it's over.    I used to laugh when the weatherman said, "Showers", because it always meant a deluge!    Here in Melbourne we get less rain, but it's more likely to fall as light showers or drizzle, so it's spread over far more hours -- and it can appear suddenly in the middle of a sunny day, if the wind changes. It's the unpredictability that's somewhat annoying.  

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Well, obviously it's not going to be gloriously sunny every day, (there is such a thing as winter even in Sydney), but on the whole, I'm sure you know it's a heck of a lot sunnier than Melbourne. In fact, I believe Sydney has about double the number of sunny days. 

The rainfall is higher in Sydney but to me, it definitely doesn't feel like it.  In Sydney, the rain arrives in great dumps, (the first time I saw Sydney rain when I arrived, I was sure it was a monsoon), and then it's over.    I used to laugh when the weatherman said, "Showers", because it always meant a deluge!    Here in Melbourne we get less rain, but it's more likely to fall as light showers or drizzle, so it's spread over far more hours -- and it can appear suddenly in the middle of a sunny day, if the wind changes. It's the unpredictability that's somewhat annoying.  

Day after day after day of sunshine can actually get a bit boring for me.  I don't mind the sudden weather changes at all and by the end of summer I've just about had enough of it and really look forward to the mellow autumn days.

• Like 3

I know what you mean, first summer is AUS and it does get a bit "stuffy" after many consecutive days of just hot sun (and I realise by normal standards Sydney hasn't been that hot this summer)

On the radio we heard the Christmas song "baby it's cold outside"

To which my daughter immediately changed the links to 

"Baby it's oppressive outside"

Brits aren't made for more than 2 days of warmth a year unless they are on holiday at the time

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

I know what you mean, first summer is AUS and it does get a bit "stuffy" after many consecutive days of just hot sun (and I realise by normal standards Sydney hasn't been that hot this summer)

On the radio we heard the Christmas song "baby it's cold outside"

To which my daughter immediately changed the links to 

"Baby it's oppressive outside"

Brits aren't made for more than 2 days of warmth a year unless they are on holiday at the time

And when on the 2 weeks holiday in the Spanish sun, so desperate for sunshine, they sunbathe like sausages under a grill, turning redder and redder. 

This Brit has spent the last 30 years in the sun, hates the cold, and struggles with the gloom after several wet days. Similar to SAD syndrome. 

Tried to add smiley with sunglasses, can’t seem to add it

Edited by ramot

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

Ah, but you're just at the beginning of what is often the hottest month of summer in Sydney -- February.

8 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Save me.... It's probably time to give in and turn on the Aircon...

Tip that I learned from an old expat hand in Africa:  In summer, always set the air con at a minimum of 23 degrees, unless you're planning to do vigorous exercise.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that if they crank the air con down to a lower temperature, it'll cool the room down faster.  It doesn't.   It takes the same amount of time, but then it keeps on cooling till the room is down at 18, 19 or whatever you set it at.  You'll get used to that cool temp, and then if you have to step outside, the heat will feel even more unbearable.  

On hot days, it's a lot more comfortable to move between a 25 degree room and a 32 degree outdoors than to go back and forth from 19 to 32.

• Like 1

Tip that I learned from an old expat hand in Africa:  In summer, always set the air con at a minimum of 23 degrees, unless you're planning to do vigorous exercise.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that if they crank the air con down to a lower temperature, it'll cool the room down faster.  It doesn't.   It takes the same amount of time, but then it keeps on cooling till the room is down at 18, 19 or whatever you set it at.  You'll get used to that cool temp, and then if you have to step outside, the heat will feel even more unbearable.  

On hot days, it's a lot more comfortable to move between a 25 degree room and a 32 degree outdoors than to go back and forth from 19 to 32.

In hotels in Singapore and many other Asian countries the air con is set far too cold.  Always need a cardi   ................  then you walk outside to be blasted with the heat.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2023 at 06:11, Marisawright said:

Back in the UK I always had my car's climate control set to 19 degrees (to cool to in summer and to warm up to in winter), but I find that temperature way too cold in Australia whatever the season.

8 minutes ago, Ken said:

Back in the UK I always had my car's climate control set to 19 degrees (to cool to in summer and to warm up to in winter), but I find that temperature way too cold in Australia whatever the season.

It might be partly due to the fact that you've acclimatised, and partly that you're wearing lighter clothes in Oz.

On 05/02/2023 at 20:01, Ausvisitor said:

I lived in Sydney many moons ago and it was the humidity in February and March which was the killer for me.  Much more oppressive than the hotter but drier heat I later experienced in Adelaide.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Skani said:

I lived in Sydney many moons ago and it was the humidity in February and March which was the killer for me.  Much more oppressive than the hotter but drier heat I later experienced in Adelaide.  

Me too.  I remember going shopping in Rundle Mall (in Adelaide) in 40 degree heat one day, and I was fine.  Whereas when the temp got to 30 degrees in Sydney, I'd be in a sweaty heap.

One thing I love about Melbourne is that even on a stinking hot day, it'll usually be fresh and a pleasant temperature for most of the morning.  It rarely starts to really heat up until lunchtime.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Me too.  I remember going shopping in Rundle Mall (in Adelaide) in 40 degree heat one day, and I was fine.  Whereas when the temp got to 30 degrees in Sydney, I'd be in a sweaty heap.

One thing I love about Melbourne is that even on a stinking hot day, it'll usually be fresh and a pleasant temperature for most of the morning.  It rarely starts to really heat up until lunchtime.

I'm the same as you and Skani.  When we moved from Perth to Sydney I really found the summer humidity in Sydney hard to cope with after the dry heat of Perth.  Even 25C on a humid day was horrid.

• Like 2